+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tiger Woods might be disqualified from the Masters for an improper drop

Master Gunnery Sergeant SavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forums SavageOrangeJug's Avatar

Tiger Woods might be disqualified from the Masters for an improper drop

OOPS! Golf's sticky rules may have gotten Tiger.

AUGUSTA, Ga. - Tiger Woods' pursuit of a fifth green jacket may have just gone off the rails.

Woods is facing a potential disqualification stemming from a possible rules violation committed on Friday afternoon. After he struck one of the unluckiest shots in his Masters career, an approach on 15 that hit the flagstick and bounced back into the water, Woods dropped a new ball and began playing again. However, it's how he dropped that new ball that's at issue.

Stick with us here, this is about to get rules-heavy. When the ball went into the water, Woods had two options: drop the ball in a designated zone, or hit as close as possible to his original location. Here's Woods' quote when asked about the drop:

"I went down to the drop area," he said. "That wasn't going to be a good spot, because obviously it's into the grain, it's really grainy there. And it was a little bit wet. So it was muddy and not a good spot to drop. So I went back to where I played it from, but I went two yards further back and I took, tried to take two yards off the shot of what I felt I hit. And that should land me short of the flag and not have it either hit the flag or skip over the back."

Seems innocent enough, but this is golf we're talking about here, where every motion in the game is governed by a dozen potentially round-threatening rules. In this case, the rule in question is parts a. and b. of the USGA's 26.1, "Relief For Ball In Water Hazard."

a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5)

b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped

In other words, he could have played from the drop zone, no problem. Or he could have played the ball where he hit the original shot. Or he could have dropped the ball anywhere in a line from the flag to where the ball "last crossed the margin of the water" - i.e., where it rolled into the water - stretching from the edge of the water to as far back as he wished.

In short, he appeared to combine a. and b., which you cannot do. Willfully moving two yards away is not "as close as possible," and Woods did not definitively appear to be in a direct line between the pin and the spot where the original shot finally hit the water. The penalty for an improper drop is two strokes. But since Woods already signed his scorecard, which would then be an incorrect one, he would be disqualified from the tournament.
    Tiger Woods might be disqualified from the Masters for an improper drop

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

Re: Tiger Woods might be disqualified from the Masters for an improper drop

That is not going to happen. The rules committee watched it while it was happening and judging from the tv coverage ruled it a correct drop while Tiger was on 18. So when Tiger finished. He signed a correct scorecard as judged by the rules committee. Tiger dropped a dime on himself in the press conference that he had dropped two yards behind his initial shot which is not allowed. The rules committee had Tiger come in this morning to go over his press conference remarks and assesed him a two shot penalty. This is done after the fact and if Tiger had DID or Elvis with him at the press conference this would not have happened. I am sorry, my client cannot talk about his dropped ball, next question. No my client will not be giving out Lindsey Vonn's cell phone number, next question.

Tiger is know at 1 under par. A little steeper hill to climb but if anyone can do it, he can.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Master Sergeant Wave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forums Wave&Dawgs's Avatar

The fact that a fan can call in to report a rules violation in golf is as big of a joke as there is in sports. Puts guys like Tiger at a huge disadvantage since all of his shots are televised. If the on-course refs don't see it, that should be that.
    REBEL5 AC before Ole Miss' 30-7 loss to Vanderbilt:
    Quote Originally Posted by REBEL5 AC View Post
    No homer, I really think this is the game we just destroy.

I'm attending Tulane, but I'm still a bulldog at heart!

Dan Mullen OWNS the school up north!

41-27
    31-23
    31-3
    17-10

Master Gunnery Sergeant SavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forums SavageOrangeJug's Avatar

There are the rules of golgf, and there are the rules of golf when Tiger is playing.

Do you think the Chinese kid that got a stroke just for slow play would not have been disqualified?

The former USGA chief was sure he would disqualified.

Tiger Woods DQ is unavoidable, former USGA chief says (or so he thought)

OOPS! What would CBS announcers talk about every 20 seconds if Tiger isn't playing?

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

yay for tiger. hes the only reason people tune in anyway

Master Sergeant Wave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forumsWave&Dawgs has a great deal of respect on the forums Wave&Dawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOrangeJug View Post
    There are the rules of golgf, and there are the rules of golf when Tiger is playing.

Do you think the Chinese kid that got a stroke just for slow play would not have been disqualified?

The former USGA chief was sure he would disqualified.

Tiger Woods DQ is unavoidable, former USGA chief says (or so he thought)

OOPS! What would CBS announcers talk about every 20 seconds if Tiger isn't playing?
    You are incorrect. There is a new rule in place that lets a player keep playing under Tiger's current circumstances.

The only people saying he should be DQ'ed or DQ himself either A. Don't know the rules, or B. Are butthurt Tiger haters.
    REBEL5 AC before Ole Miss' 30-7 loss to Vanderbilt:
    Quote Originally Posted by REBEL5 AC View Post
    No homer, I really think this is the game we just destroy.

I'm attending Tulane, but I'm still a bulldog at heart!

Dan Mullen OWNS the school up north!

41-27
    31-23
    31-3
    17-10

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wave&Dawgs View Post
    You are incorrect. There is a new rule in place that lets a player keep playing under Tiger's current circumstances.

The only people saying he should be DQ'ed or DQ himself either A. Don't know the rules, or B. Are butthurt Tiger haters.
    or are insignificant nobodies like Chamblee

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

The explanation I gave was what was given out by the Augusta National. It seems logical to me. But hatahs gonna hate.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Tiger basically got busted because he said he made the shot longer by a yard on the drop. Kick that man off the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunnery Sergeant dnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forums dnmuga93's Avatar

As the resident authority on golf for SECF, it's time for me to weigh in on this.

The R&A and USGA modified Rule 33 in August 2011 to allow for this exact situation. Decision 33/7/4.5 states that a player who is not aware he has breached a rule because of facts he did not know and could not have reasonably discovered prior to signing his scorecard will no longer be disqualified, but have the original penalty assessed for the rule breach. Tiger breached Rule 26- playing from the wrong place. That's a 2 stroke penalty.

All that being said, IMO opinion it is a correct decision, but kind of a silly one. The Rules state that when you choose to play your next stroke from where you last made a stroke due to a lost ball, OB, or ball lost in a hazard, it should be as near as possible to the original location. The Rules Committee determined that 2 yards was not close enough.

Here endeth the lesson.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast