+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Explosion today at Georgia Power's Plant Bowen

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Explosion today at Georgia Power's Plant Bowen

This is the second largest power plant in the Northern Hemisphere, and no, eco people, it is not nuclear. Don't know what happened yet. I have never heard of this in a coal fired plant.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Master Gunnery Sergeant ugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Explosion today at Georgia Power's Plant Bowen

Coal dust can be very explosive. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was involved.
    Go Dawgs!

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ugabrad View Post
    Coal dust can be very explosive. It wouldn't surprise me at all if that was involved.
    I think it was in the turbine. No coal dust there, but I'm not sure.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

There is coal dust everywhere at a coal plant. It gets into everything. So its possible that enough built up and then got disturbed and was ignited by a spark from the turbine.

Its more likely that it was a steam explosion if it was on the turbine side though. A relief valve might have gotten stuck.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Most turbines can run on NG and coal, they just pulverize the coal. My godfather ran a plant in LA (Rodamaker) and they went back and further on NG anc coal based on te price. They would get 100 trains carts of coal and store them under ground. When they burned coal it would get crushed and blown into the furnace than drove the the turbine. Impressive deal.
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Politics is like pro-wrestling -- Rollin' Baby

Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick two -- my buddy...
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Most turbines can run on NG and coal, they just pulverize the coal. My godfather ran a plant in LA (Rodamaker) and they went back and further on NG anc coal based on te price. They would get 100 trains carts of coal and store them under ground. When they burned coal it would get crushed and blown into the furnace than drove the the turbine. Impressive deal.
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YR_Tiger View Post
    Technically a coal plant can run on anything that burns hot enough to boil a huge vat of water. The fuel heats water into steam, and the steam drives the turbine.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

How the hell do all you guys know so much about coal????

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    Technically a coal plant can run on anything that burns hot enough to boil a huge vat of water. The fuel heats water into steam, and the steam drives the turbine.
    Actually if you want to get technical...all modern power plants are steam driven driven from vats of water...the only thing that changes is the heat source... NG, coal, fuel oil or Nuc.
    ( o Y o )-- F250

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by HunkerDown View Post
    How the hell do all you guys know so much about coal????
    BSEE....Sorry I live boring life...
    ( o Y o )-- F250

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast