+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gumbo recipe?

Gunnery Sergeant Subrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forums Subrookie's Avatar

Gumbo recipe?

Anyone have a favorite to share? I think I'm going to make a batch in the next couple weeks and thought I'd see if someone here had a good one. I saw a few online that call for file powder. I bought some just to be sure I had it. No where in Seattle is that stuff for sale, I had to get it on Amazon.

Staff Sergeant danny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forums danny_d_lsu's Avatar

Re: Gumbo recipe?

All the gumbos I make I get supplies from ville platte, la my home town. There's meat markets on almost every corner. Fresh smoked sausage and tasso, a hen (not a store bought chicken there's a difference) and okra or no okra guess it depends on your taste. Honestly I use a store bought Roux. Kary's Roux, I can make my own but why go through all that trouble when you can by the perfect thing already in a jar.

If you buy the roux already made its nearly impossible to screw up a gumbo. The one bad gumbo I have had before the roux was burnt. But I don't have a specific recipe or way I do it. It just all comes together. Come to think of it, I'll list all the things I've had in gumbo....hen, sausage, tasso, shrimp, crabs, oysters, crawfish, ducks, geese, doves, squirrels, rabbits.....that might be it.

Gunnery Sergeant Subrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forums Subrookie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danny_d_lsu View Post
    All the gumbos I make I get supplies from ville platte, la my home town. There's meat markets on almost every corner. Fresh smoked sausage and tasso, a hen (not a store bought chicken there's a difference) and okra or no okra guess it depends on your taste. Honestly I use a store bought Roux. Kary's Roux, I can make my own but why go through all that trouble when you can by the perfect thing already in a jar.

If you buy the roux already made its nearly impossible to screw up a gumbo. The one bad gumbo I have had before the roux was burnt. But I don't have a specific recipe or way I do it. It just all comes together. Come to think of it, I'll list all the things I've had in gumbo....hen, sausage, tasso, shrimp, crabs, oysters, crawfish, ducks, geese, doves, squirrels, rabbits.....that might be it.
    Thanks for the help. It's really hard to get small game meat for a gumbo out here. Dove, squirrel and to a lesser extent rabbit would almost be impossible to buy for me at a store or hunt myself. Crawfish is a tough one as well. Kary's roux isn't that expensive, I think I'll buy some of it and have it shipped out here. Ever try making a gumbo with fish meat? Wonder what halibut or cod would taste like in a gumbo....?

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subrookie View Post
    Thanks for the help. It's really hard to get small game meat for a gumbo out here. Dove, squirrel and to a lesser extent rabbit would almost be impossible to buy for me at a store or hunt myself. Crawfish is a tough one as well. Kary's roux isn't that expensive, I think I'll buy some of it and have it shipped out here. Ever try making a gumbo with fish meat? Wonder what halibut or cod would taste like in a gumbo....?
    Sorry I missed this, here is mine. And while I'm at it. I'll throw in Etouffee.

Seafood and chicken Gumbo

2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp cajun seasoning
    1 tsp garlic salt
    5 tbsp canola oil
    12 oz andouille
    1 lb shrimp
    1/2 lb scallops
    4 large bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 lb diced tomatoes
    2.5 cups okra

I will scan the etouffee and post it in a minute.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Etouffee - I like this one

Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Sorry I missed this, here is mine. And while I'm at it. I'll throw in Etouffee.

Seafood and chicken Gumbo

2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp cajun seasoning
    1 tsp garlic salt
    5 tbsp canola oil
    12 oz andouille
    1 lb shrimp
    1/2 lb scallops
    4 large bell pepper
    1 medium onion
    1 lb diced tomatoes
    2.5 cups okra

I will scan the etouffee and post it in a minute.
    Thank you sir. How long do you cook it in the pot? Okra is hard to find here is that absolutely necessary? Everything else I can find.

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

When I was a chef apprentice, we had this old line cook from New Orleans that taught me how to make Gumbo. He always said the roux was the most important part. You get that right, and the rest was gravy

Quote Originally Posted by Subrookie View Post
    Thank you sir. How long do you cook it in the pot? Okra is hard to find here is that absolutely necessary? Everything else I can find.
    I also add hot peppers, but that is up to you.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
    Combine 1/4 cup flower, Cajun seasoning and garlic powder in a plastic bag.
    Heat 2 cups of oil in a large pot. Shake each piece of chicken in the bag and brown ea side for about 5 minutes.
    Transfer chicken to a plate, then put andouille to the pot and cook about 3 minutes. Add peppers and onion and cook another 5-7 minutes.
    Pour mixture into a bowl.
    wipe pot clean.
    Add remaining flour and oil and stir until the roux forms.
    Add mixture from bowl and stir in chicken broth.
    Increase heat to boil and add chicken, shrimp and scallops.
    Simmer for 40 minutes.
    Remove chicken and shred it.
    Add chicken back to the pot
    Add tomatoes and okra and simmer for 10 minutes.
    That's it. I like mine over rice or without.
    Deo Vindice

Peggy Noonan

Franz Kafka

Staff Sergeant danny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forumsdanny_d_lsu has a great deal of respect on the forums danny_d_lsu's Avatar

Never had fish in a gumbo, and I have had plenty of gumbos. I made Chicken Sauce Piquante tonight, it was pretty great. It's all about the seasoning man, you made that gumbo yet??

+ Reply to Thread