+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tubby Smith fired

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Re: Tubby Smith fired

I agree with a local radio guy I heard this afternoon. I understand Minnesota making this move in an effort to show the world that they expect greatness, but just who do the think they are going to get that is better than Smith? The only big name out there in real position to sign with them would be Howland, and he lost to Smith. Minnesota isn't luring away a Smart or a Stevens... so to quote the radio guy, "The Gophers will go back to struggling, and Smith will be coaching somewhere else very soon."
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

He'll catch on somewhere else pretty quick, I'm sure.

Gunnery Sergeant AURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forums AURex's Avatar

Auburn could use a real coach like Tubby.

Teague just cut off his gonads with this stupid move. If they had invested the buy-out in faculities upgrades, as they promised Tubby they had planned, he could have kept the program solid. It has taken a long time for Minnesota to recover from the academic fraud scandal of the Clem Haskins era and its aftermath. Tubby ran a clean program and had the real respect of his coaching peers in the B1G.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    I agree with a local radio guy I heard this afternoon. I understand Minnesota making this move in an effort to show the world that they expect greatness, but just who do the think they are going to get that is better than Smith? The only big name out there in real position to sign with them would be Howland, and he lost to Smith. Minnesota isn't luring away a Smart or a Stevens... so to quote the radio guy, "The Gophers will go back to struggling, and Smith will be coaching somewhere else very soon."
    From Tubby's comments, I'm not sure he wants to coach anymore....

BTW, how crazy would Howland to USC be? lol
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by AURex View Post

Teague just cut off his gonads with this stupid move. If they had invested the buy-out in faculities upgrades, as they promised Tubby they had planned, he could have kept the program solid. It has taken a long time for Minnesota to recover from the academic fraud scandal of the Clem Haskins era and its aftermath. Tubby ran a clean program and had the real respect of his coaching peers in the B1G.

Exactly, and if the coach you just let go complained about facilities, why would a good coach in a good situation want to leave without the facilities. Sure, Teague is saying they are committed to building one, but they said that to Tubby too.

This is all about the three kids in the state that are juniors that are all ranked in the top 50.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Gunnery Sergeant NCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forumsNCMISSSTFAN has a great deal of respect on the forums

I was shocked when I heard about this. I've always been a Tubby Smith fan and actually felt like Minnesota was lucky to have him because he could have been at a bigger program IMO, that's no disrespect to them but who could they get that's better the Tubby Smith? I really don't understand firing a guy like him, especially one that won and got to the tourney pretty regularly. Minnesota plays in the Big Ten with Michigan, Mighigan State, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. these teams have good teams year in and year out. How much can you expect? I know fans always think the grass is always greener but I don't know who could come in and do a better job in that conference.

It's a mid level B1G job. Norwood Teague will realize that the longer he stays there and doesn't have a practice facility.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

God...Family...UK SkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forums SkyAntoine's Avatar

I hope this nudges UK to finally put Tubby's name in the rafters at Rupp. Yes, some of us were disappointed with his recruiting at the end of his tenure, but the man brought home #7 and always did things the right way.
    "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAntoine View Post
    I hope this nudges UK to finally put Tubby's name in the rafters at Rupp. Yes, some of us were disappointed with his recruiting at the end of his tenure, but the man brought home #7 and always did things the right way.
    That's only a matter of time from what I understand. He's already in the Hall of Fame. Somebody mentioned Minnesota being racist (which is silly), but I think the fact that Tubby's time here kind of put to rest some of the demons that were out there about UK being a racist program is an even bigger deal than the national title that he won.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Moderator GR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forums GR8NESS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAntoine View Post
    I think that they didn't want to do it while he was still active because of Ricky.

I've also heard you have to get into the UK Hall of Fame first, which is a five year wait after employment so he's barely been eligible for that yet. Patience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast