+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tubby Smith fired

God...Family...UK SkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forums SkyAntoine's Avatar

Re: Tubby Smith fired

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgilicious View Post
    yeah but they didnt really have great success before him either. What are they going to go out and get and how much better can they get. they wont get to ohio state or indiana status
    The success they had before was from cheating. I don't know what they thought they were buying with Tubby, but it seems unrealistic to me.
    "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Sergeant Dawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawgilicious's Avatar

yeah, i know they were excited when they got him. I think they wanted some sort of stability and consistency

2015 SECF Fantasy Football CHAMPION

Moderator GR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forums GR8NESS's Avatar

yeah but they didnt really have great success before him either. What are they going to go out and get and how much better can they get. they wont get to ohio state or indiana status
    I don't expect them to make an improvement, but I'm thinking OTS knew his days were numbered as soon as the AD that hired Shaka at VCU was hired at Minnesota.

This is also a minneosta trend. COUGH TIM BREWSTER COUGH. Tubby will wind up somewhere else, probably at Wake and be fine. Minneosta will continue to do exactly what they did under Tubby: very little.

Master Sergeant IllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forumsIllinoisDawg63 has a great deal of respect on the forums IllinoisDawg63's Avatar

IMO, Minnesota has to be one of the most difficult schools to achieve any continued success and maintain hierarchy,with hockey being the exception. There cannot be an abundance of talent in the Dakotas to recruit. He likely gets what Bo Ryan turns away in Wisconsin and some mediocre in Iowa.

Resident Paleocon deterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forums deterp's Avatar

I wish Mr. Smith all the best and a continued coaching career for as long as he wants to do that. The comments concerning Minnesota are pretty spot on, particularly ILDawg's as he (and I) are more familiar with the Gophers and their recruiting area. I don't think there's been even a third-stringer from IL head up there to play either basketball or football.
    "The people should have as little to do as may be about the government. They lack information and are constantly liable to be misled."

U.S. Rep Roger Sherman

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisDawg63 View Post
    IMO, Minnesota has to be one of the most difficult schools to achieve any continued success and maintain hierarchy,with hockey being the exception. There cannot be an abundance of talent in the Dakotas to recruit. He likely gets what Bo Ryan turns away in Wisconsin and some mediocre in Iowa.
    I don't agree with the firing but I think Minnesota is an attractive school for a basketball player. It is in a big city. They have good fans.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Don't spend time trying to convince the uninformed. Mediocre isn't what you're paying for when you never PAY for a practice facility. WHen you're the only school without plans for one or without one in general, what do you expect. It's an arms race. We did the best with what we had.

We'll look back fondly on our time in Minnesota. So much happened. Tubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer while there. He overcome that successfully. We dealt with an injury to our best player in two separate seasons. Al Nolen in 2010 and Trevor Mbakwe in 2012. It was a nine win program with 23 losses the year before we came. We came in and got the program to the NIT in year one. By year two we were in the NCAAT and year three we were there also after a great run to the Big Ten finals. We won a game this year (our best season ever) at Minnesota. IT was the first season with a win in the tourney since 1990... and the three bids in 6 years is way better than the Minnesota history.

As Izzo said today, things were done the right way on the court and off the court. Minnesota has really set itself up with this decision. They have to get a guy that did better than Tubby, and IMO, the idea that they will get Shaka Smart is a pipe dream, especially with UCLA open. IMO, getting Gregg Marshall would be a success for us.

I am a proud Minnesotan, but even more so I'm proud of Tubby Smith, who has been a winner everywhere he's been. Consider this, he is the only coach in UK history... the ONLY COACH IN UK HISTORY, to win a game in every single NCAAT during his tenure. Adolph Rupp, Joe B. Hall, Eddie Sutton, Rick Pitino, Billy Gillispie, and John Calipari didn't even qualify for each NCAAT they were here for. Tubby not only made it all ten years, but he won a game every single year. Minnesota was fortunate to have someone of his caliber there. The results were not middling, and I hope for our sake that we do get the right guy there.

Go Gophers, and most importantly, go Tubby. Tubby will land on his feet with whatever he wants. Tubby leaves here the same way he left Tulsa, UGA, and UK... with a team that made the NCAAT. That's the credit to his career IMO. We know that Tubby leaves our program on more solid footing than it was when he arrived.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAntoine View Post
    The success they had before was from cheating. I don't know what they thought they were buying with Tubby, but it seems unrealistic to me.
    Joel Maturi is the one that brought Tubby in in 2007. I'm not even sure why they'd want Flip Saunders. IMO, that will be a mistake to the nth degree.

Finishing at the top of the Big Ten just won't happen at Minnesota. Not with Michigan State, Indiana, and Ohio State. Even during our better years under Dutcher and Musselmen and Clem Haskins, we were a far cry from the Indiana and Purdue teams.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

I love Tubby. I would take him back if he would come and I don't hate Mark Fox.

And for the record, I have Golden Gophers apparel. Minnesota has been very nice to Baylie and I, and we have returned the love.

Go Gophers.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I have some Gopher apparel too. I'll still wear it proudly. Rep.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast