+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Howland is on his way out

Master Sergeant Dawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawgilicious's Avatar

Report: Howland is on his way out

This is being reported by Tracy Pierson, very refutable source within UCLA Athletics. UCLA is currently leaning toward replacing Ben Howland as its head basketball coach, and he could be let go before the end of the season, according to sources.

There is also an indication that UCLA has taken preliminary steps in investigating potential coaching candidates. Sources are indicating that booster and donation support of Howland has diminished considerably so far this season, and that has been critical in this development.

Frankly, none of this is a surprise. Howland is alienating boosters and coaching in front of sparsely populated crowds in the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion. Players keep transferring out of UCLA, which certainly isn’t a good thing considering that Howland has dealt with two major PR disasters in 2012: George Dohrmann’s article in SI chronicling everything that went on in the UCLA program during Howland’s tenure and the fact that everyone that follows college hoops believes that he, in some way, managed to circumvent NCAA rules to land Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.

2015 SECF Fantasy Football CHAMPION

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Report: Howland is on his way out

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgilicious View Post
    This is being reported by Tracy Pierson, very refutable source within UCLA Athletics. UCLA is currently leaning toward replacing Ben Howland as its head basketball coach, and he could be let go before the end of the season, according to sources.

There is also an indication that UCLA has taken preliminary steps in investigating potential coaching candidates. Sources are indicating that booster and donation support of Howland has diminished considerably so far this season, and that has been critical in this development.

Frankly, none of this is a surprise. Howland is alienating boosters and coaching in front of sparsely populated crowds in the newly renovated Pauley Pavilion. Players keep transferring out of UCLA, which certainly isn’t a good thing considering that Howland has dealt with two major PR disasters in 2012: George Dohrmann’s article in SI chronicling everything that went on in the UCLA program during Howland’s tenure and the fact that everyone that follows college hoops believes that he, in some way, managed to circumvent NCAA rules to land Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson.
    Is she a refutable source or a reputable source? Those are two stark contrasts there.

Here's the thing. At UCLA, you can't survive one poor season really (ask Steve Lavin; he had 5 Sweet 16s in 6 years, then in 2003 he had one bad year... ONE... and it was over). Howland got a reprieve due to the final fours. Then, he may've been let go last year if Muhammad wasn't likely coming. But, Howland did end up getting the #1 class (Parker and Adams, too) and that only increased pressure in a sense, because now he has high caliber talent. Muhammad and Anderson are simply out of shape though and haven't played as well as they could. Jordan Adams was really playing well before 'Bazz came.

I've heard the rumors about potential cheating to get Anderson and Muhammad too, and who knows if that's true. I really think the expose last year by SI is what will end up really signalling the beginning of the end.

That said, I don't endorse firing coaches midseason. I still think UK shouldn't have done that to Joker Phillips. Give the guy the dignity of ending his season, maybe tell him he won't be returning, but don't embarrass him midseason. This isn't the NBA where you're dealing with pros. Who makes sure the guys go to class once the coach is outted.

Howland's system does work. It's not the most popping style of play, but he'll have plenty of offers because of what he did at Northern Arizona and Pitt.

From a UCLA perspective, I'm hearing Greg Marshall. I do think you make a play for Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart. This might be the one job that either of them would bolt for, because if you can win there, you'll be adored and you're far enough removed from Wooden that you won't be always compared to him I'd imagine. Plus, Pauley is newly-renovated and it's a name brand. IT's a great job should it come open.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Optik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forums Optik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgilicious View Post

And Tony Parker.

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Howland has a big game with Mizzou tonight at home. If they lose, I think UCLA fans might start calling for a coaching change in the near future. I mean maybe during this season.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

They've been playing some better after this whole report came out, so I think the natives have laid off a bit, but I agree, you gotta win the ones against names. With it being a homer, it takes on added importance. Good call, MK, as usual.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    They've been playing some better after this whole report came out, so I think the natives have laid off a bit, but I agree, you gotta win the ones against names. With it being a homer, it takes on added importance. Good call, MK, as usual.
    UCLA played a hell of a game last night, wow. Howland brought his team up to the challenge. As much as I don't like him I have to praise the way he had his team playing and the means by which his kids pulled it out. This is a confidence boosting win and UCLA will need it to continue to build momentum. I bet a lot of fans and alums won't be jumping up and down because they are UCLA and are EXPECTED to win, and win the big games. The Bruins should garner some more attention now, and it's on Howland to see how his team continues to play. With PAC-12 play starting, this could be a critical juncture for Howland. A poor start might be detrimental...

Told you they had been improving. It's not a shock when you have talent.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Told you they had been improving. It's not a shock when you have talent.
    Yep you were definitely correct. UCLA is headed in the right direction. Not to get totally ahead of the W, but if the Bruins can control the PAC-12 by season's end, that would be a major achievement.

At worse, shoudln't they finish second though? Arizona is going to be there, but there's nobody else that I see in the Pac 12 that I'm like, "UCLA might struggle with them."
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

At worse, shoudln't they finish second though? Arizona is going to be there, but there's nobody else that I see in the Pac 12 that I'm like, "UCLA might struggle with them."
    Yep, Arizona is a tough team. They're fairly strong this year. Oregon is off to a roll but I can't see them cruising through PAC-12 play. Wazzu should be decent, but not a league title contender. Other than that, it's UCLA's or Arizona's to lose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast