+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: ATP Men's Tennis Tour Thread

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

Re: ATP Men's Tennis Tour Thread

That serve he hit up 5-2, 15-0 in the 5th set that was called out was insane. He challenged and they zoomed in twice and still half the people couldn't see it in or out. Couldn't believe that.

I'm glad he got his first major. He has his gold medal. Now we can stop hearing about it.

Hopefully Raffa's recovery is swift and he comes back strong. I still want Fed to win 2 or 3 more majors before he's done though.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Rafa's my guy. A major is a good or bad one based on how Rafa does... so I've enjoyed plenty of French Opens I guess. I still think the demise of Rafa is overexaggerating. Dude, will pass Sampras for sure IMO in terms of majors with at least 15. I'm not sure if he makes a run at Roger though, but IMO it's no doubt that Rafa's the better player (all you gotta say is scoreboard).

Rafael Nadal is the greatest player of all-time IMO. I'd put he and Laver and Federer in the top 3, probably with Laver second. I'd go with Rafa first, because of his dominance of Federer, which made his era tougher IMO.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

you wouldn't put Sampras in your top 3?

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    you wouldn't put Sampras in your top 3?
    Not with Rafa, Laver, and Fed. Nope. To be in my top three you have to excel on all three surfaces. Sampras never won the French Open and not only that he never even made the final. He'd be in that next elite tier with the likes of Borg and I suppose Emerson (based on his results), but I never watched Emerson.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

I didn't realize that about Petey. Interesting

Yeah, he actually only made even one semi-final at the French Open. Now, with Fed he may be the greatest grass-courter ever, but at the French Open he was merely human.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

Fed is still the greatest of alltime. No he hasn't played as well against Raffa, but he's plays against everyone else better than anyone else has. Raffa's game is just kryptonite to Fed. He hits with so much top, Fed can't neutralize it with his one handed backhand.

Doesn't mean Raffa is the better overall player. When it's all said and done though, they could easily be 1 and 2.

Alright, I see what you're saying, but if you're not the best guy in your era (which Federer isn't) you're not the best of all-time. Rafa is 18-10 against him I believe, and is dominant in the finals they play. People say Rafa just dominated him on clay... okay, Rafa went on to beat him in major finals on the other surfaces too. They've never played at the US Open, so the chance hasn't been there for that.

If you think about it, Federer's early dominance (2004 and 2005) came without anybody else really being great. It was a weak era. Sampras had retired and Agassi was about to. Fed didn't have another guy to contend with like Sampras had Agassi, Lendl had Edberg, Wilander, and McEnroe, etc. When a guy came up and challenged Fed, Fed couldn't crack the code and he still hasn't.

I think an argument can be made for Federer as the greatest of all-time, but one can be made for Rafa too. If you're arguing Fed is the greatest and he can't crack Nadal, what does that say about Nadal.

For what it's worth Federer is also .500 or maybe even losing to Murray. Nadal doesn't have a losing record to anybody (Federer, Djokovic, Murray, or anybody). He's the guy that's dominated his era. Thus, I'd have to go with Rafa. Also, Fed's French Open came when Rafa was taken out of the action by Soderling and was sadly dealing with that divorce of his parents.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    Alright, I see what you're saying, but if you're not the best guy in your era (which Federer isn't) you're not the best of all-time. Rafa is 18-10 against him I believe, and is dominant in the finals they play. People say Rafa just dominated him on clay... okay, Rafa went on to beat him in major finals on the other surfaces too. They've never played at the US Open, so the chance hasn't been there for that.

If you think about it, Federer's early dominance (2004 and 2005) came without anybody else really being great. It was a weak era. Sampras had retired and Agassi was about to. Fed didn't have another guy to contend with like Sampras had Agassi, Lendl had Edberg, Wilander, and McEnroe, etc. When a guy came up and challenged Fed, Fed couldn't crack the code and he still hasn't.

I think an argument can be made for Federer as the greatest of all-time, but one can be made for Rafa too. If you're arguing Fed is the greatest and he can't crack Nadal, what does that say about Nadal.

For what it's worth Federer is also .500 or maybe even losing to Murray. Nadal doesn't have a losing record to anybody (Federer, Djokovic, Murray, or anybody). He's the guy that's dominated his era. Thus, I'd have to go with Rafa. Also, Fed's French Open came when Rafa was taken out of the action by Soderling and was sadly dealing with that divorce of his parents.
    Those are really good arguments. But the numbers just aren't there overall yet. Raffa is still young so he could catch up. I just don't like the argument that says if one guy is better head to head vs another then he is the better player overall. Murray, Nole, and Berdych (at least recently) have pretty good records against Fed but does that mean they are greater players than he is? Not to mention all these guys are WAY younger than Fed. 30 years old in pro tennis ancient. He might as well be a 40 year old NFL QB right now.

And Fed is 6-5 against Nadal on hard courts and 2-1 against him on grass. It's clay where Nadal has killed him. They just have two totally different styles of play.

Quote Originally Posted by HunkerDown View Post
    Those are really good arguments. But the numbers just aren't there overall yet. Raffa is still young so he could catch up. I just don't like the argument that says if one guy is better head to head vs another then he is the better player overall. Murray, Nole, and Berdych (at least recently) have pretty good records against Fed but does that mean they are greater players than he is? Not to mention all these guys are WAY younger than Fed. 30 years old in pro tennis ancient. He might as well be a 40 year old NFL QB right now.

And Fed is 6-5 against Nadal on hard courts and 2-1 against him on grass. It's clay where Nadal has killed him. They just have two totally different styles of play.
    Surely, you're not comparing Djokovic or Murray's record vs Federer to Nadal's. There's no comparison and somebody as knowledgeable as you in tennis knows that.

All I'm saying is if both guys are in the discussion of the GOAT, head to head does factor in. What better factor is there to weigh when comparing Rafa vs Fed? Again, those hardcourt and grass records are fine and all, but when it comes grand slam finals, which is what matters at this elite level of the game, it's clear Rafa is eating Fed's lunch to the tune of 6-2 (that's worse than Sampras dominated Agassi in slam finals), and Rafa's done it on every surface. He even only allowed Fed four games in one of those finals, including a bagel set. It's Rafa that's reduced Fed to tears in two of those finals (2008 Wimbledon and 2009 Australian). Murray and Djokovic aren't even holding a candle in this discussion. lol
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast