+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBC coverage sux

Gunnery Sergeant AURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forums AURex's Avatar

NBC coverage sux

<rant>

NBC has been televising the Olympics for decades. You'd think they could figure out how to do it right, but every games, it's a litany of problems, leaving mostly dissatisfied customers in the wake.

This time around --

Tape delay on all big events, so you know the results many hours before they actually show the event. Example, men's 400 IM, Lochte and Phelps. Not televised in the U.S. in real time on any channel.

NBC streaming (which was the only option for watching some live feeds for some events) requires logon for your cable provider, and then (if you can get the login to work) it crashes every half hour due to a memory leak in the feed that overloads computers' RAM.

Can't even watch a replay of the Opening Ceremonies, which my wife wanted to do after hearing about it. But NBC is not even making it available for replay. The reason? NBC plans to package the 2012 games on DVD to sell.

The scheduling is chaotic. Hours devoted to some events, with short break-aways for other sports. And there's no clear guide to what will appear on which channel at any given time. Instead of tape delay coverage of complete events that were not covered earlier, NBC limits prime time to just its one main broadcast channel. So we had to sit through hours of other stuff before seeing the tape delayed 400 IM swimming event.

Yes, I know. This is corporate America. NBC paid a lot of money for the right to televise the games in the U.S. They need to milk the advertising dollars and they funnel viewers to maximize their advertising exposure.

But this is 2012. We can drive around cars on Mars and watch the feed they send to us, 10 year old kids are streaming video on the Internet, and 5 year olds are putting their videos on YouTube for the world. But a giant corporation can't figure out how to do a basic feed or post a video that doesn't crash customers' computers?

NBC = Nothing But Crap.

</rant>

Master Gunnery Sergeant OxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: NBC coverage sux

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html

You said no clear listing of what's on tv. Go there and put in your zip and tv provider.

Other than that, I agree with everything you said. Want to watch certain sports, but you have to wait till primetime, or the event is on tv for about 45 seconds during the day. And their online streaming blows.

Master Gunnery Sergeant OxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forums

At least it will be better in 2016. Rio is roughly in the same time zone as the Eastern and/or Central time zones in the US.

Gunnery Sergeant AURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forums AURex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OxfordSeminole View Post
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings/index.html

You said no clear listing of what's on tv. Go there and put in your zip and tv provider.
    Well, ya know, I did actually look at the NBC website and their schedule on Friday and again Saturday for the Saturday events. And what they tell you is that the evening prime time will include gymnastics and volleyball and swimming and some other stuff. Yep, and you sit through hours of a complete match volleyball and entire gymnastics qualifying rounds for them to show three swimming events, which are interspersed throughout the 4 hours of programming, so if you go away for a few minutes, well, sorry, you missed it. Great for their advertisers, but not for viewers. Frankly, I don't really care to watch preliminary rounds of mighty mites flipping and tumbling.

If they'd tell you that X event will be shown at 9:00 and Y at 10:30, well, I'd tune in at 9:00 and 10:30 to watch those events and skip the other stuff. If course, they know that, which is why they will not provide a real schedule. It would be easy to do, since it is all tape delay in prime time.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Bamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forumsBamadan has a great deal of respect on the forums Bamadan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OxfordSeminole View Post
    At least it will be better in 2016. Rio is roughly in the same time zone as the Eastern and/or Central time zones in the US.
    Rio is 2 hrs ahead of Central Time and only 1 hr ahead of Eastern Time, so it may be live for us, but taped delayed on the Left Coast.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...p10=&p11=&p12=

SOUL PATROL TIDE ROLL!!

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

I hate how they randomly cut away to short commercial breaks (without warning) during sports that don't include normal stoppages. I've seen it done during soccer and handball now. I've also seen them cut to commercial breaks during basketball and volleyball during action, and then go to commercial again 5 minutes later during the actual stoppage.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

NBC has been screwing up U.S. Olympic coverage for decades. I wish somebody else would take it away from them and do a better job of it.

Master Sergeant Dawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawgilicious has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawgilicious's Avatar

Well other networks screw up other sports, i.e. FOX. NBC has an advantage cause they have more channels. I havent had any issues using the computer or watching coverage, cause I have seen a good bit of live coverage on TV. ESPN couldnt handle it and FOX would do what they did with football, which was ruin it

2015 SECF Fantasy Football CHAMPION

+ Reply to Thread