+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frank Martin Has a Big Heart

Corporal iowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Frank Martin Has a Big Heart

Martin is a great addition to the SEC coaching ranks. We have had a lot of good ones enter the SEC in the last 3-4 years. He also will good for SC and make them competitive again although it will take a few years to get his system in place.The real question is will he be able to recruit stuck between SEC and ACC country.
    “Never worry about criticism from the misinformed.”
    Adolph Rupp

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

He has national connections: Miami, NYC, DC, the Midwest. He might gets Rivals top 100s all the time, but they'll be Frank Martin top 100s, which is all that will matter.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Corporal iowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forumsiowacat has a great deal of respect on the forums

Ky, I agree with you somewhat on his national connections. I live in Midwest and there is this stigma (bias) about the South which is harder then you think to get kids to play down south in the SEC. Ask Mizzou fans about the Big 10 and Big 12 fans, players etc on what they believe. They know first hand how Midwesterners think and treat us southerners. I think Martin can recruit but like you said it will be his types no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    He has national connections: Miami, NYC, DC, the Midwest. He might gets Rivals top 100s all the time, but they'll be Frank Martin top 100s, which is all that will matter.
    Adolph Rupp

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Maybe that's true, but the SEC had seven of the top 25 recruiting classes last year (this year's sophomores). It seems like everybody does a great job of keeping their in state talent. I mean, look at Mississippi State and what they do in MS. I think the one program that has trouble with that is UGA, because so many other schools, UK included, like to pinpoint Atlanta talent. If Frank can keep that SC talent and mix in a player from here and there, they'll be more than fine. Look at what he's got there (Ellington, Leonard, Slawson, Richardson, Smith, Geathers... that's a nice start for year one).

And, here's the thing to. USC just hired Ray Tanner. I mean, I'm not a baseball fan at all, but I know about him and everybody does. He has a great AD to work with. Frank is going to be fine. If I were a parent that was tough on my kids and wanted them to learn the value of hardwork, I'd be honored if Frank wanted to coach them. Under Odom I kinda like USC, I didn't really care much for Horn, but I'm right there cheering on USC with Coach Martin in charge. Go 'Cocks.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Dr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forums Dr.SwineSmeller's Avatar

Frank can match fire with any coach in the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.SwineSmeller View Post
    DawginDallas is a devout republican. He is a prized doublenaut demublican operator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    This isn't rocket science, Elroy.

I think that's his rep, but even last year at K-State he said he was going to tone down his cussing, which is another reason I like him: he basically realizes you can be fiery and not cuss.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

I agree if Frank can keep the SC instate talent he will do great. Don't get me wrong I would love to see this since it is an SEC school. But Martin is a tough minded coach and demands hard work, responsibility etc. but the work ethic in the midwest and the south are totally different. I know, I am from the south and have lived in the midwest the last 22 years and have seen first hand. I am not saying that in the south people don't work hard but I am saying it is on a different level then the mid-west.

Anyways, I like Martin a lot and wish him and SC nothing but the best. After all, they are an SEC school. If all the SEC posters on here would live in the Big East, Big 12 and Big 10 country for a few years and have to listen to the fans from these conferenses in person they would root for all SEC schools.

I really believe one of the reasons that people dislike the One and Done's is that they think that the kids that are didn't earn or pay their dues (work ethic) by going only one year in college. This is why you always hear them say our kids gets their degree and has gone 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    Maybe that's true, but the SEC had seven of the top 25 recruiting classes last year (this year's sophomores). It seems like everybody does a great job of keeping their in state talent. I mean, look at Mississippi State and what they do in MS. I think the one program that has trouble with that is UGA, because so many other schools, UK included, like to pinpoint Atlanta talent. If Frank can keep that SC talent and mix in a player from here and there, they'll be more than fine. Look at what he's got there (Ellington, Leonard, Slawson, Richardson, Smith, Geathers... that's a nice start for year one).

And, here's the thing to. USC just hired Ray Tanner. I mean, I'm not a baseball fan at all, but I know about him and everybody does. He has a great AD to work with. Frank is going to be fine. If I were a parent that was tough on my kids and wanted them to learn the value of hardwork, I'd be honored if Frank wanted to coach them. Under Odom I kinda like USC, I didn't really care much for Horn, but I'm right there cheering on USC with Coach Martin in charge. Go 'Cocks.
    Adolph Rupp

FWIW, Frank Martin is a blue collar guy from the South himself. I think he's more aware of that than anybody.

As for the one and done thing (and even before that none and done), the best stars in the current basketball culture are one and dones: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Derrick Rose, etc. It's how things are these days. To me, you've only got at most a 20 year window to play high level basketball, if you're a great basketball player, it's best if you only spend 1 year in college, so the other "19" can be spent making the big bucks. Then, go back and get your degree around 38-40.

The minute we start telling high school kids they don't need to enlist to the military is the minute I say 1 and done should be demolished. Until then, I see nothing wrong with it.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

KT, Please don't get me wrong. I love the one and done players but not the rule. I can even say I think it is unconstitutional to make someone out of high school go to college if they are good enough to get employed. Where else in this country that other then sports that forces an 18 year kid to go to school one year before you can make money.
    Adolph Rupp

The kids aren't forced to be one and dones. They could stay more years. They could go overseas of to the D-League. Let's at least admit that sports isn't the most important part of our professional culture. As a teacher, I'm glad you can't become a teacher after your freshman year. These guys bounce a ball and play a game for a living; it's not like they're educating young minds or something. lol
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast