+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security trumps privacy...again

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Security trumps privacy...again

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...minor-offenses
    WASHINGTON -- Siding with security needs over privacy rights, the Supreme Court ruled Monday that jailers may subject people arrested for minor offenses to invasive strip searches.

By a 5-4 vote, the court rejected a challenge from a New Jersey man who argued it's unconstitutional to force everyone to strip down for inspection. Albert Florence was arrested by a state trooper because of an error in the state's records that mistakenly said he was wanted on an outstanding warrant for an unpaid fine. Even if the warrant had been valid, failure to pay a fine is not a crime in New Jersey.
    Florence was held for a week in two different jails before the charges were dropped. But at each jail, he was required to shower with delousing soap and undergo a strip search.

Florence's lawyers argued such searches are unconstitutional unless police have reason to believe the subject is carrying a weapon or drugs.
    But the court's majority said it's difficult for jail officials to know who's dangerous and who isn't among the 13 million prisoners they process each year because criminal records are often not available at the time of intake. The majority opinion was written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.
    The court also noted that Timothy McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber, was initially arrested for not having a license plate on his car and that one of the 9/11 terrorists was stopped and ticketed for speeding just two days before hijacking Flight 93. "People detained for minor offenses can turn out to be the most devious and dangerous criminals," the court said.

BANNED F250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Security trumps privacy...again

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    "People detained for minor offenses can turn out to be the most devious and dangerous criminals," the court said.
    terrible logic.

I suppose if they both ate at McDonalds, we could say "People who eat at McDonalds can turn out to be the most devious and dangerous criminals"

There are people who have committed terrible crimes that haven't been arrested and there are people that have committed felonies that have been arrested for other completely unrelated felonies.

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Strangely I can understand this one. If you are going to put someone in jail you shou8ld have the right to know what they are carrying. I think the arrest for minor offenses is the problem here..
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Politics is like pro-wrestling -- Rollin' Baby

Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick two -- my buddy...
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Now, now. If only the police had strip searched the 9/11 hijacker when he was speeding, we would have discovered...what exactly? Maybe we should strip search and then torture everyone pulled over for speeding...

BANNED F250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forums

Can the police now unfairly target women for minor offenses(speeding, jaywalking...etc) by pulling over someone going 47 in a 45 when they would normally let them by with that, just so they can strip search them?

Just seems like something that some of these police would do.

Banned Orgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forumsOrgcrush has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by F250MustangGuy View Post
    Can the police now unfairly target women for minor offenses(speeding, jaywalking...etc) by pulling over someone going 47 in a 45 when they would normally let them by with that, just so they can strip search them?

Just seems like something that some of these police would do.
    For once, we agree.

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Now, now. If only the police had strip searched the 9/11 hijacker when he was speeding, we would have discovered...what exactly? Maybe we should strip search and then torture everyone pulled over for speeding...
    I thought it said jailor of arrested people. Am I totally missing the point here?....I have never been arrest and taken to jail for speeding.

I agree with it because I may have to share the jail cell with someone and would rather them not be armed....

FTR I don't think they should ever be able to search your or your vehicle without a warrant OR They search you before incarceration.
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by YR_Tiger View Post
    I thought it said jailor of arrested people. Am I totally missing the point here?....I have never been arrest and taken to jail for speeding.

I agree with it because I may have to share the jail cell with someone and would rather them not be armed....

FTR I don't think they should ever be able to search your or your vehicle without a warrant OR They search you before incarceration.
    No, you aren't missing the boat, but look at the OP again and the examples relied upon...

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YR_Tiger View Post
    Strangely I can understand this one. If you are going to put someone in jail you shou8ld have the right to know what they are carrying. I think the arrest for minor offenses is the problem here..
    yeah but then you can get pulled over for BS too

And I heard "Son do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
    Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low
    Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
    Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo?
    "Well you was doing fifty five in a fifty four"
    "License and registration and step out of the car"
    "Are you carrying a weapon on you I know alot of you are"
    I ain't stepping out of sh!t all my papers legit
    "Do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
    Well my glove compartment is locked so is the trunk in the back
    And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
    "Aren't you sharp as a tack are some type of lawyer or something?"
    "Or somebody important or something?"
    Nah I ain't pass the bar but I know a little bit
    Enough that you won't illegally search my sh!t
    "Well see how smart you are when the K-9's come"
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2007 - Year of the Oil Baron
    2008 - Year of the Fab Five
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Quote Originally Posted by USC90
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

So you guy believe we should have armed inmates in the county jail? What about when you have to share the cell with the armed inmate? I have watched Shaw shank.....

I did not think they could strip search for a traffic stop unless they plan on giving you a ride down town.
    ( o Y o )-- F250

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast