+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...and then I found $20.00: The Official Blog of SCBobo.

Staff Sergeant SCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forums SCBobo85's Avatar

...and then I found $20.00: The Official Blog of SCBobo.

I'm home sick from work/school today and stumbled upon this forum whilst perusing on SECF. As an aside, I've enjoyed reading many posters' musings today and they have given me a bit of insight as to their personality/lives. The community here is awesome, notwithstanding the trolls and general malcontents. The wide array of interests and ideas on one site is what keeps me interested and posting, but I digress...

I've been pretty under the weather since last night, and as such, have not done much but lay around and watch crap TV. If I hear "It's a great day at Gerald's" or "One call, that's all" another time I'm going to --well-- do nothing but complain about it, but you get the idea.

This past weekend was spent in my girlfriend's hometown of York visiting her family. Her brother and I were discussing family history and I mentioned getting a better copy of my family's colonial land grant when her dad overheard us and wanted us to "take a look at something." We found, in their GARAGE of all places, their family's original land grant from 1763 in as good of condition as a 249 year old document can be in after sitting in the sun and heat (I was a bit perturbed that the document places her family in the New World, albeit NC, 11 years before my family). We then found a book of acid free paper with various documents ranging from the 1700's to the 1880's, with the true prizes being family letters sent from the Battle of the Crater (Petersburg, VA) and Ft. Johnson, SC complete with locks of hair. One was written on captured Federal letterhead.

The Land Grant.

One of the Letters.

This was definitely a highlight of the weekend.

On a completely unrelated note, it's hard to believe that I'm two months away from the last summer break I'll ever have (hopefully), and I every intention of enjoying it to the fullest. Fodive and I are planning to go to NY/DC/Philly in May with a couple of my law school buddies and maybe Denver later in June to see friends from Carolina, which would be great. Other than that, I plan on fishing/shrimping, surfing, and spending as much time with my family and girlfriend as possible (in addition to working, of course). All that is standing between me and May 5 is a wedding, a trip to DC, and four exams....
    Arsenal till I die, Im Arsenal till I die
    I know I am, Im sure I am
    Im Arsenal till i die

Gunnery Sergeant Subrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forums Subrookie's Avatar

Re: ...and then I found $20.00: The Official Blog of SCBobo.

Finding old family history is pretty cool. We're able to track my dad's side back to around the time they came over from England to VA around the mid-late 1600's. Nothing quite as cool as having a land grant copy, but I do have the war diary of my great, great, great (maybe one more great) uncle who fought for the 15th NC Regiment during the Civil War against Sherman and defended Savannah, Charleston, and Athens. I'm always happy to share that bit of Americana if anyone's interested send me your email I'll forward a PDF on. He was out of Asheville, NC.

Staff Sergeant SCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCBobo85 has a great deal of respect on the forums SCBobo85's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Subrookie View Post
    Finding old family history is pretty cool. We're able to track my dad's side back to around the time they came over from England to VA around the mid-late 1600's. Nothing quite as cool as having a land grant copy, but I do have the war diary of my great, great, great (maybe one more great) uncle who fought for the 15th NC Regiment during the Civil War against Sherman and defended Savannah, Charleston, and Athens. I'm always happy to share that bit of Americana if anyone's interested send me your email I'll forward a PDF on. He was out of Asheville, NC.
    That's awesome. I'll send you a PM shortly. I tried to (unsuccessfully, I might add) convince them to scan all the documents and send the originals to the South Caroliniana Library or Confederate Museum and Relic Room in Columbia, where they can be better cared for (with humidity and light controlled rooms, etc.).
    Im Arsenal till i die

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Love reading this stuff. I have posted some in the Genealogy thread in the History Forum. We are probably related, as I am related to half of SC.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Love reading this stuff. I have posted some in the Genealogy thread in the History Forum. We are probably related, as I am related to half of SC.
    I think everyone from SC/GA/NC is cousins!
    Im Arsenal till i die

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Most of my mother's maternal family were French Hugenots, and landed in Charleston in the late 1600's. The original families were Rembert and DuBosc(now DuBose). However, after several generations, there are numerous names.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Gunnery Sergeant Subrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forumsSubrookie has a great deal of respect on the forums Subrookie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Most of my mother's maternal family were French Hugenots, and landed in Charleston in the late 1600's. The original families were Rembert and DuBosc(now DuBose). However, after several generations, there are numerous names.
    The spelling of our family's last name changed a couple times over the years as well. My mother's side is much more recent and hasn't, but those that came over in the 1600's definitely changed when they got here. My aunt is a genealogy nut, I've helped her with some of the research into military records during WW1 and 2, but she's done the grunt work of going to courthouses in GA, SC and NC. The earliest record she could find once we got here was for a Lt. Col born in the US in 1634.

edit: I hadn't read that diary in a while. He also fought around Richmond during the Seven Days'

Master Gunnery Sergeant Heck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forums Heck Pup's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Since my layoff in 2009 I have been dabbling in antique dealing.

I found a land grant similar to yours from Early County Georgia dated from the early 1800's. It had the ornate cursive writing and a flat, paper seal w/the GA Arches attached with a silk ribbon. I sold it for $175

I also found the photo posted below. I had a hard time researching it, but I found out a lot of info about it. The picture is a 1/6 plate Ambrotype photo of a Confederate militiaman. The solider was a member of the "Upson Guard", a militia that was absorbed into the Georgia 3rd Infantry, Army of Tennessee. The unit saw action at Chickamagua. Note the GA State Seal (UGA Arches) on his tall shako hat. Since Ambrotypes are reverse negatives, I had to flip the image in photoshop to see that the letters on his hat were "UG" (Upson Guard). The blue uniform was confusing as well, but Confederate Gray was not standardized until around 1864. I sold it to a collector from Atlanta who collects these things exclusively. He leases out his photos to National Geographic, Time/Life, PBS, ect. He said the photo was about an "8 out of 10". Got a nice chunk of change for that yard sale score I tell you.

Thanks for sharing! It's amazing what people have just lying around in their houses/garages/attics.
    Im Arsenal till i die

Quote Originally Posted by SCBobo85 View Post
    Thanks for sharing! It's amazing what people have just lying around in their houses/garages/attics.
    Or what they're willing to sell at a garage sale apparently. It does make you wonder what else is out there in someone else's attic.

I do often think when I'm having a bad day just how bad the men on both sides suffered during the Civil War and how the sh1ttyness of my day pales in comparison.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast