+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your team's top returning starters?

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Your team's top returning starters?

Who does your team return? Who will likely be counted on to play big, at this point? (I know, a ton will change after spring practice and frosh enrolling).

Alabama:

Quarterback---AJ McCarron
    I am expecting big things this season from AJ. He has a season under his belt, and Bama will be loaded on offense. He should become one of the better QBs, efficiency wise, in the nation. He will never throw for 5,000 yards in the Bama offense, but CNS loves to throw the ball and the new OC, whoever it may be, will probably go vertical more next season with speedsters like White, Bell, and maybe Duron Carter outside.

Runningback---Eddie Lacy, Dee Hart, Blake Sims, TJ Yeldon
    WE are RBU. Is there any doubt now? Riddle, Shaun Alexander, Ken Darby, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, etc.. and this year will be no different. Eddie does not run like TR, he is not as tough to bring down, but his spin move is a thing of beauty and he has great speed. Lacy was not a big, 5* guy, but he has serious talent and should be one of the top backs in the SEC. Dude was almost 7 YPC this year. Hart is AWESOME, I hope he gets at least 100 carries. He is electric. He is the big time playmaker Bama needs.

OL:
    LT-Cyrus K. (John Theus or Cyrus? The SEC might have the best two young LTs in the nation)
    LG-Chance Warmack
    C-Barrett Jones
    RG-Anthony Steen
    RT-DJ Fluker

WR----DeAndrew White, Kenny Bell, Kevin Norwood, hopefully hopefully Duron Carter, and the frosh.
    The unit loses an elite playmaker but should be deeper overall next season.

TE---Michael Williams and Harrison Jones. TE should not see much drop off at all. Williams is so underrated it isnt funny.

DL-Damion Square, Jesse Williams, Quintion Dial, Ed Stinson, maybe more. WATCH out for this unit.

The back seven is whats scary, it loses so much talent.

LB will probably look like CJ Mosely (if he is healthy), Nico Johnson, Tana Patrick, Trey Depriest (AA in the making) with Hubbard, and Xzavier Dickson being very involved.

CB--Dee Milliner, John Fulton, maybe Belue or Dixon.

S-Robert Lester is back, and Vinnie Sunseri has been the biggest surprise ever. Expect to see HaHa as well.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Re: Your team's top returning starters?

Georgia

QB - Aaron Murray
    Good stats, the next big game he wins will be the first. I rate him #3 in the SEC.

RB - Crowell, Samuel, Malcome, Keith Marshall, Todd Gurley

That is three 5* and two 4* RBs. You would think we could run the ball.

OL
    LT - John Theus - Best HS OT I have seen. Great power, leverage, technique, and athletic ability. Has never played a snap in the SEC.

LG - Dallas Lee - Very good. Surprised me. Was redshirted due to asthma, or something similar. Won the starting job and played lights out. Broke his leg against UF. Check our running stats before and after.

C - David Andrews. Good, above average center. Replacing Ben Jones. I graded the O line this season, and Jones surprised me. He was far more athletic than I thought. I thought he was better than Vlachos this season. He mostly dominated. His tenacity, toughness and leadership will be hard to replace.

RG - Chris Burnette. 4.0 student, 2.0 guard.

RT - Watts Dantzler - Legacy player (Danny). I was impressed with his play last season, for a true freshman. Has the skills, needs to be stronger.

TE

Arthur Lynch - Classic blocking TE. Jay Rome. Orson Charles skill set in a TE body. NFL player.

WR - We are loaded. Malcolm Mitchell, Michael Bennett, Tavarres King, Chris Conley, We redshirted Justin Scott-Wesley, who is the state record holder at 100 and 200 meters, at 210#.

DE

Abry Jones - My D line MVP for 2011. Made play after play.

NT - John Jenkins and Kwame Geathers. It's great to have two good NTs.

DE - Garrison Smith - Subbed for Tyson and Jones most of the season. Really quick. We lost Tyson to a Yech chop block and you saw what happened the last two games.

Will - Jarvis Jones - All American, 1st rounder

Mike - Alec Ogletree - Lost him in the first quarter against Boise for six games. Future All American and 1st rounder.

Mo - Michael Gilliard. Got his chance when Robinson went down and played lights out. Just makes plays.

Sam - Cornelius Washington - Big and athletic. Doesn't play every play to the whistle.

CB - Sanders Commings - Big CB, good player

CB - Branden Smith - Small burner.

FS - Baccarri Rambo - Could start for almost every SEC team

SS - Shawn Williams - See Rambo - Big hitter

Summary

Hopefully we can run the ball better than 2011. If not, we wasted a lot of scholarships. If Murray doesn't choke, our offense will be above average.
    Our defense will dominate. They have a chance to be as good as 2011 Bama.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

QB - Tyler Wilson -top quarterback with solid backups

RB - Knile Davis and Dennis Johnson - NFL futures

FB - Kiero Small - broke nine face masks this season

TE - Chris Gragg - a solid contributor but not a real star

WR - Cobi Hamilton - A good receiver that may play in the NFL. He has the speed at least.

OT - Jason Peacock - A juco transfer that started the season shaky but improved a lot over the year.

OG - Alvin Bailey - A second team all conference player with an NFL future.

C - Travis Swanson - A two year starter.

DE - Trey Flowers - He started as a true freshmen. A real diamond in the rough from Huntsville, Alabama. He will probably turn into a star.

DE - Tank Wright - A three year starter. He possibly has an NFL future. Coach Petrino says he reminds him of Elvis Dumervil.

DT - DD Jones - A solid contributor with a likely NFL future. He had a great Cotton Bowl.

DT - Byran Jones - A two year letterman.

OLB - Ross Rasner - A solid contributor.

OLB - Alonzo Highsmith - A juco transfer. Alonzo is a good linebacker. His father was an NFL player.

CB - Tevin Mitchell - He started as a true freshmen.

SS - Eric Bennett - He is a two year letterman.

K - Zach Hocker - Second team all SEC.

P- Dylan Breeding - A three year starter.

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

QB: Denard, obviously. Coming back for his senior season was a given, but we were still a little nervous when he applied to see what his draft status would be.

RB: Fitzgerald Toussaint. Really came on strong in the second half of the season once Borges realized he didn't need to run Denard 25 times a game. Will be a fulltime workhorse next year as long as he can stay healthy. Had injury problems as a freshman

CB: Blake Countess finally got a start as a true freshman and never gave the job up halfway through the season. Had some flashes of greatness and has great closing speed. We'll need a lot of help in the secondary next year.

We're pretty young everywhere else. I guess Jake Ryan on the defensive line is going to have to step up big time with the loss Mike Martin and Ryan Van Bergen.

We also have to replace the best center in the nation with David Molk graduating. That will be tough.

Lance Corporal jacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forumsjacketsting@yahoo.com has a great deal of respect on the forums

TE Chris Gragg is not a real star? He is the reason some of our drives continued on during games this year... a definate 3rd and long type of guy and can break tackles and gain yards after the catch

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jacketsting@yahoo.com View Post
    TE Chris Gragg is not a real star? He is the reason some of our drives continued on during games this year... a definate 3rd and long type of guy and can break tackles and gain yards after the catch
    He is a contributor but I do not know if he will be drafted or not. DJ Williams seemed to be more talented and I think he was drafted in the fifth round. Gragg is a tweener. I do not threw around the word star loosely. Do not get butt hurt.

UT - The University of TENNESSEE! TexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forums TexasFight's Avatar

QB - David Ash, Case McCoy - I don't think I can even call one "top" returner, but Ash looked good in the Holiday Bowl. Connor Brewer and Jalen Overstreet are coming in as Freshmen.

RB - Malcolm Brown, Joe Bergeron - both were having a great freshman year before they got banged up towards the end of the season. Johnathan Gray is coming in this year and I imagine he will be "the guy."

FB - Our starting FB is gone (Cody Johnson). Ryan Roberson, time to step up. It's his spot or Chet Moss, who was moved to FB before the season until Demarco Cobbs got hurt, and moved back to LB.

WR - Jaxon Shipley, Mike Davis, Marquise Goodwin - Shipley, like Malcolm Brown, was having a good year before an injury. We have 5* Cayleb Jones coming it at WR and maybe Dorial Green-Beckham, although I expect him to go elsewhere.

TE/H-Back - D.J. Grant - Blaine Irby career is over (could have applied for another year, decided not to) and it seems D.J. Grant will be the returning starter. I think M.J. McFarland will have an impact as well.

LT - Josh Cochran - Took over starting from Tray Allen mid-way though the year and did a very well.

LG - Trey Hopkins - Played RT last season out of necessity, much better suited at guard though. Extremely talented.

C - Dominic Espinosa - We heard all off-season last year that Espinosa was stepping his game up, and he did. He will return.

RG - Mason Walters - Had some problems at times before last year, but he seemed to put it together last season, especially near the end.

RT - Donald Hopkins - This is a big one. This is the first JUCO player at the University of Texas (along with Brandon Moore) since 2001. He has been promised significant playing time, and he will get that.

Defense:

DE - Jackson Jeffcoat, Alex Okafor - Both had slow starts to the year (Okafor picked up his play faster than Jackson did), but they really finished the season strong. Jeffcoat torn his pec against A&M, and will be out for some of spring training. Will be the best tandem at DE since Orakpo/Kindle. Possibility of Mario Edwards joining the crew as well. Have fun stopping that.

DT - Brandon Moore, Ashton Dorsey -The loss of Kheeston Randall was big, but there's a lot of talent at this position. I imagine Alabama fans are familiar with Brandon Moore, as he was committed to them for a while. He brings incredible size out of the JUCO ranks for our D-Line. Could see Dorsey, Chris Whaley or Desmond Jackson at DT as well.

LB - Jordan Hicks, Steve Edmond and Demarco Cobbs - Hicks had some problems last year, but he also had some bright spots. I absolutely love Steve Edmond - dude is stone cold bad. I think he'll be the best LB at Texas since Derrick Johnson. Cobbs will most likely start with them, and brings a lot of versatility to the position.

CB - Quandre Diggs, Carrington Byndom - This was easy. These two could turn into the best combo at CB in the country. Both are still young and had great seasons last year (Byndom was All Big-12, Diggs was Freshman All-American).

S - Kenny Vaccaro, Adrian Phillips - Speaking of stone cold bad, Kenny Vacarro is coming back for his final season on the 40 acres. Everyone knew he was a big hitter, but he show that he's very good in coverage as well, being the nickel man in nickel and 4-2-5 sets. Will be a Thorpe Award candidate and potential All-American. Phillips played CB mostly last year, but he is very versatile and most likely be the starter opposite Vaccaro. Could see Mykkele Thompson at that spot too.

Special Teams - Will Russ, Nick Jordan; punt/kick return - Diggs, Goodwin, Monroe or Shipley - Justin Tucker is gone, and that's a blow to the ST. Will Russ needs to step up, as Nick Jordan did very well in the US AA game.

That's about it. I'm tired of typing now.

Oh, almost forgot:

Coach - Mack Brown - Don't like it? **** you.

BANNED F250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forums

If Texas gets consistent QB play, they will be in a BCS bowl

Sergeant MizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forums MizzouRob's Avatar

Missouri: (2012 season Class listed with Name)

Quarterback---Jr. James Franklin - Had a breakout soph season with 36 total TD's (21 passing and 15 rushing) with only 11 INT's, averaged 295.8 yards/game in total offense. Mizzou's best power runner at 6'3" 225, tough to bring down in the open field, earned the nickname Frank "the tank" for his power running style. Needs to improve his throws to the outside (which were lazy at times, and won't fly vs. fast SEC secondaries), but should be one of the top QB's in the conference upon arrival.

RB---Sr. Kendial Lawrence - Took over after crippling knee injury to electric soph Henry Josey (who will miss 2012 as a medical redshirt). Lawrence has straight-line speed, and finishes runs well for a smaller back, but doesn't have the electric, take it to the house on any play explosion that Josey provided. Jr. Marcus Murphy and RS Sr. Jared Culver will backup, and are serviceable.

WR--
    Sr. TJ Moe - A Welker clone (yes he's white) with great hands and some shiftyness to best operate out of the slot. Very similar to aTm's Ryan Swope (except better), don't sleep on him throwing the ball either - was an all-state QB in HS.

Former HS Army All-American Jr. Marcus Lucas should break-out as a Jr. with a great combo of size/speed, leaping ability, the other outside spot will likely go to speedster L'Damian Washington or hopefully #1 HS player Dorial Green-Beckham.

TE - Sr. Eric Waters will have big shoes to fill stepping in for departing all-XII TE Michael Egnew, after not seeing the field much in his career this far.

OL:
    LT- RS Sr. Elvis Fisher - Was pre-season all XII before tearing ACL and med RS in 2011, tough, experienced and talented kid can handle SEC rushers.
    LG- Sr. Jack Meiners - Although not a starter as a Jr., saw plenty of action as the OL's top backup, he can handle himself inside.
    C- Sr. Travis Ruth - Returning starter who sometimes struggled with the shotgun snap, but a very strong blocker.
    RG- No clue.. someone will need to win this job over the summer
    RT - Jr. Justin Britt - Started on the left side after Fisher went down in pre-season and improved throughout the season, but better suited for the right side as he can struggle with speed rushers. Best game of the year in Indy Bowl, shutting down All-American Q. Coples.

DL---- Sr. DT Sheldon Richardson owns the middle of the line, and got progressively better as the season went along. Former 5* recruit who had to go the JC route came into his own and can dominate the interior. (and isn't shy about telling you he can either). DE Sr. Brad Madison had a subpar Jr. season facing the double teams that previously went in Aldon Smith's direction. Needs to re-bound in 2012. Jr. Michael Sam and Soph Kony Ealy are experienced speed rushers who will compete at the other DE spot. The Nose Tackle spot is a concern after losing a 3y starter, will be open competition.

LB ----- Tackling machine ILB Jr. Andrew Wilson broke out as a Soph, leading the team with 98 tackles only starting the last 9 games. A leader on the D, and can really thump. WLB - SR Zaviar Gooden is FAST, and a great coverage LB, sometimes gets caught overpursing vs. the run. The SLB spot will need to be filled in camp.

CB ---- JR EJ Gaines is already being talked about as a 2012 Thorpe award candidate and is outstanding in coverage, High NFL draft pick potential with PR skills as well, SR Kip Edwards struggled in coverage and was the weak link in the secondary, he needs to show improvement or risk losing his job. Nickel CB Randy Ponder is a personal fave of mine as he is an excellent slot blitzer/run support nickel CB, not afraid to light someone up at all.

S---- My biggest concern going into 2012, Freak athlete JR Matt White returns, and all of the athletic ability in the world doesn't make up for the poor instincts shown in 2011, Sr. Kenronte Walker and Soph D. Easterly will be in the mix.

KR--- Moe--- Not really a take one the distance threat, but he has some swerve and knows how to get North-South
    PR -- Gaines -- Expecting him to break out as a returner in 2012

K/P/KOS - Sr. Trey Barrow started out '11 as the P/KOS and rescued an unstable place-kicking situation mid-year. Capable as a kicker, but outstanding as a punter.

+ Reply to Thread