+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King's Renaissance.

Moderator joehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forums joehogjoe's Avatar

Stephen King's Renaissance.

Stephen King is a well know horror novelist and short story writer. He's one of the more prolific writers out there, though not THE MOST prolific. Still he's written his share of novels and short stories since the 70's.

Through his early popular years when he was a "novelist" a perjorative for a hack writer, his name meant top 10. His early stuff was extremely popular, whether or not it was good or bad. In the early years rarely was any of it bad. Quite the opposite, his early works were often quite good. Carrie was a better movie than film, but it was more the structure than the tone that limited the novel. Next was Salem's Lot and it is more than good. It is the finest vampire novel ever written, head and tales above the garbage known as Twilight. The Shining is well known more for the camp portrayal of the main character by Jack Nicholson, than the book. The book's ambieance cannot be adequately portrayed on film, IMHO.

There were other highlights, some low lights. King's short story collections are eminently readable. Containing the best and worst of his writings, the make excellent collections and they prove conclusively that King is among the best local color authors in America.

Still there came his accident in which he was stuck by a vehicle, his lower half broken and rotated around facing backwards. Luckily his spine was not damaged and he's since made a full recovery. But the accident made the literary world discover Mr. King, and virtually overnight he became a "literary" author, no longer a "novelist". And somehow the edge was gone. His new stuff, highly praised, critically successful, his popularity wained. It's taken time to find his footing. He's been more miss than hit until the last couple of years. In the last few years he's found his way back. First with Under the Dome, another of his epic novels that except for the resolution is an awesome novel with a thrilling climax. Then there was the story Blockade Billy a story of baseball and murder. It was short and it was incredible. Yeah it was 10 years old at it's release but it still worked.

Next came Full Dark No Stars, to steal a baseball term, it was a home run. Like Different Seasons it was 4 stories(novellas) collected together. My favorite is A Good Marriage, about a wife who discovers she's married to a serial killer, or Big Driver, a story about a writer who encounters a serial rapist/killer and survives and plots her revenge.

Next up is 11-22-63, a story about a man who discovers a way back to prevent the Kennedy Assassination,

then

The Wind through the Keyhole, the 8th Dark Tower novel

and

Dr Sleep, a sequel to the Shining, it follows little Danny Torrance all grown up and his encounter with vampires.

Stephen's future works sound very exciting.
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

My American flag will hang upside down for the foreseeable future.

Master Gunnery Sergeant OxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Stephen King's Renaissance.

Wait, did that say an 8th Dark Tower novel? Where can I find any info on this? I thought the 7th was supposed to be the end. I had no idea he was thinking about continuing the series.

Moderator joehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forums joehogjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OxfordSeminole View Post
    Wait, did that say an 8th Dark Tower novel? Where can I find any info on this? I thought the 7th was supposed to be the end. I had no idea he was thinking about continuing the series.
    Ox, good to hear from you btw, the new Dark Tower novel is an in between story. Here is the word from King himself.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/win.../announcement/
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

Master Gunnery Sergeant OxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forumsOxfordSeminole has a great deal of respect on the forums

Thanks joe. I couldn't wait, and I Googled it. Not sure how I feel about it. I love the series, and I'll read anything else he puts out with the characters, but it still seems kinda weird.

By the way joe, as someone who I know has read a lot of King, I have a question for you.

A buddy of mine (the guy that introduced me to the Dark Tower) have a debate over who should play Roland in Hollywood's attempt to make the series into a movie/tv series (which isn't going too well). Since the character was driectly modeled after Clint Eastwood, who do you think in today's Hollywood could play Roland?

Javier Bardem was/is a perfect choice. I hope if it's made they can get him resigned to the role.
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Optik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forums Optik's Avatar

The Dark Tower movie will be made. Universal dropped it, but that has been a trend with them lately since Comcast bought them. Ron Howard's company owns the movie rights, so it is still a go, they just need to replace Universal. Lot of talk that Warner Bros is going to pick it up.

IMO, The Dark Tower is among the greatest fantasy series every written. Right there with Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. Cannot wait for the 8th book.

I am right in the middle of Full Dark, No Stars at the moment.

I'm not so sure. Eight novels to film is a hell of a commitment. TV is the best way to go, preferably not on a pay channel.
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

I am currently re-reading the Dark Tower. Reading the "drawing of Three" right now. I love that series, but it has been over 20 years since I read the first two books...

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Optik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forumsOptik has a great deal of respect on the forums Optik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joehogjoe View Post
    I'm not so sure. Eight novels to film is a hell of a commitment. TV is the best way to go, preferably not on a pay channel.
    The original deal was for 3 movies and 2 different TV mini-series (something along the lines of The Stand). I think the TV series were supposed to be on NBC.

Gunnery Sergeant DecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forums DecaturDawg's Avatar

I have always enjoyed reading King, and after a time I can only take so much of one type of literature. I'll move onto history or biography, some science fiction and eventually circle back around to the horror/gothic.

The Shining is one of the most terrifying books I have ever read, and remember at one point, while reading it, I would not keep the book near my bed as I was so freaked out. IT was another satisfying read, and the movie was not.
    At some point, King turned decidedly more gruesome and graphic and that turned me off. For example, while the theme and tone of Needful Things really held my interest, I often had to skip over the (in my opinion) gratuitous descriptions of vivisection, disembowelments, etc. Enough was enough. The movie was mediocre, although well-cast with Ed Harris and Christopher Plummer. Desperation was just OK (TAK!) and enjoyed The Regulators much much more. I believe they were released simultaneously.

Never read Dolores Claiborne but the movie was GREAT! I must admit a fondness for Kathy Bates as an actress, and here work here and in MISERY was superb. Both movies were quite good.

Didn't read any Dark Tower as I am not a western fan (movies or books).

Pet Sematary was just dumb, and The Stand was epic. Dead Zone and Firestarter seemed like he was idling.Christine was just a long drawn out short story that reminded me more of something from Twilight Zone series.
    The Tommyknockers was just stupid, although the concept of the need to "free up space for new experiences", portrayed by little things eating up the past was initially intriguing. Maybe the horrible TV Movie makes me remember the book less kindly.

A Bagful of Bones was passable. Green Mile was a better movie than the gimmicky staggered release by chapter of the novel.

Read Under the Dome, and it held my interest but thought the ending/explanation was weak.

All the others I either didn't read or didn't register with me.

Looking forward to 11-23-63. Great premise, albeit not a totally original one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast