+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Perfect Game ranks SEC programs

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Perfect Game ranks SEC programs

Competing in the SEC is a rigorous experience. After all, it’s the nation’s best and most balanced conference.

Equally difficult is ranking the SEC 1-12.

Some decisions were easy. For instance, South Carolina has won back-to-back national titles and obviously is the conference’s premier program. Meanwhile, Kentucky and Tennessee obviously should be at the bottom of the list.

In the middle is where things got difficult with programs such as Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Auburn and Mississippi State jockeying for position.

We begin our offseason series of rankings programs in conferences with an inside look at the SEC.

NEXT UP: Big 12

1. South Carolina

2011 grade: A+
    Where the program stands: The Gamecocks are in the midst of a Golden Age with regards to their program. They won the program’s first national title two seasons ago and entered the ’11 campaign aiming for back-to-back national titles. The Gamecocks accomplished that goal with yet another magical run through the College World Series. This program will never be in better shape than it is right now.

2. Florida

2011 grade: A+
    Where the program stands: Gators coach Kevin O’Sullivan and his staff have done a tremendous job on the recruiting trail the past few seasons, and it’s safe to say the persistence has paid off. The Gators reached the College World Series two seasons ago before doing the same this past season and reaching the CWS Championship Series. Look for the Gators to also enter 2012 as the nation’s top-ranked team.

3. Vanderbilt

2011 grade: A
    Where the program stands: It only was a couple of years ago everyone wondered if the Commodores could win the big games in the postseason. Well, they’ve certainly answered that question in a big way the last two seasons. They reached an NCAA Super Regional two seasons ago before having the best campaign in school history with a trip to Omaha this past season. Tim Corbin has Vandy right where it should be.

4. LSU

2011 grade: C-
    Where the program stands: What a strange past season it was for the Tigers. They entered ’11 with high expectations, but failed to reach the NCAA postseason after compiling just a 36-20 overall record. The Tigers, despite not making an NCAA Regional last season, still are in fine shape. They’re expected to compete for the national title in 2012. And oh yeah, this still is a program that won a national title a couple of seasons ago.

5. Arkansas

2011 grade: B
    Where the program stands: The Razorbacks entered the 2011 season in somewhat of a rebuilding mode after losing several key ingredients to the ’10 team. However, they still compiled a 40-22 overall record and reached an NCAA Regional. The Hogs are a consistent postseason contender and will be expected compete for the national title next season with the return of several premier pitchers.

6. Alabama

2011 grade: B
    Where the program stands: It’s evident to us that coach Mitch Gaspard did a tremendous coaching job in ’11. The Crimson Tide lost several key cogs from their ’11 NCAA Super Regional club, but didn’t skip a beat at times last season. They compiled a 35-28 overall record and reached the Tallahassee Regional title game. Now the Tide’s goal is to take yet another step forward on the national stage.

7. Mississippi

2011 grade: D
    Where the program stands: The Rebels have experienced a wealth of success under the direction of coach Mike Bianco, but the program took an unexpected step back last season by failing to reach the NCAA postseason with a 30-25 record. The Rebels have a talented freshman class coming in this fall, but there’s no doubt it’ll be important for them to get back on track in ’12. Ole Miss is a good, but not great, program.

8. Georgia

2011 grade: C
    Where the program stands: What a tough past year it was for the Bulldogs, and specifically coach Dave Perno, with the serious spinal injuries to Chance Veazey and Jonathan Taylor. It’s amazing the Bulldogs were able to keep things together this season. But they did, reaching the NCAA postseason with a 33-32 overall record. The Bulldogs have had consistency issues the past few seasons, but they’ve still reached the postseason three of the last four years, including an ’08 trip to the CWS title series.

9. Mississippi State

2011 grade: B+
    Where the program stands: Coach John Cohen’s Bulldogs struggled the first few seasons under his tutelage, but finally are getting in a groove. The Bulldogs had some inconsistent moments in ’11, but took a huge step forward by reaching the NCAA postseason and taking Florida to the wire in the Gainesville Super Regional. State is a program to watch moving forward. They’re just getting going under Cohen.

10. Auburn

2011 grade: D
    Where the program stands: We knew well before the ’11 season the Tigers could have some growing pains with the departures of several key cogs both at the plate and on the mound. The Tigers had some good moments this past season. They also had some bad moments, which ultimately resulted in them not reaching the NCAA postseason with just a .500 overall record. The Tigers took a step forward two seasons ago by hosting an NCAA Regional. Now it’s time for them to regroup after an unsuccessful campaign.

11. Kentucky

2011 grade: F
    Where the program stands: The Wildcats had one of the premier right-handed pitchers in college baseball with Alex Meyer leading the way. However, they were unable to make a move in the SEC last season with just eight wins in league play and an overall record of 25-30. It’s time the Wildcats find a way to take a step forward. UK hasn’t reached the NCAA postseason since ’08.

12. Tennessee

2011 grade: F
    Where the program stands: There’s some good and bad news for the Volunteers. The good news is they have new leadership and there’s only one direction to go. The bad news is they must find a way to become relevant again in the incredibly tough SEC. The Vols finished the ’11 campaign last in the league with a 25-29 overall record.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=6106

Master Sergeant SCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forums SCfan804's Avatar

Re: Perfect Game ranks SEC programs

Good list. Though if we're ranking them as of right now and not historically I'd have to put Arkansas above LSU, but that's a slim margin and pretty trivial.

Master Sergeant msudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forums msudawgs1964's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCfan804 View Post
    Good list. Though if we're ranking them as of right now and not historically I'd have to put Arkansas above LSU, but that's a slim margin and pretty trivial.
    I would have us higher if he is doing it historically. Really not sure what criteria he is using here. Last 3 years? Last 5 years? Postseason appearances?

Master Sergeant SCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCfan804 has a great deal of respect on the forums SCfan804's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msudawgs1964 View Post
    I would have us higher if he is doing it historically. Really not sure what criteria he is using here. Last 3 years? Last 5 years? Postseason appearances?
    I guess if we're #1 it has to be relatively recent. We've been a good program for a few decades now, but if we're going back anything more than 10 years LSU is obviously still #1. That said, I like where he put us.....

Master Sergeant msudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forumsmsudawgs1964 has a great deal of respect on the forums msudawgs1964's Avatar

I guess if we're #1 it has to be relatively recent. We've been a good program for a few decades now, but if we're going back anything more than 10 years LSU is obviously still #1. That said, I like where he put us.....
    yeah...I may do one later but start from SEC expansion.

here you go 804..my ranking of the SEC..historical data from expansion to present time.

here is the criteria so that no one is confused.

1. these rankings are from 1992 to present or as many may know it, when the SEC expanded to 12 teams and was the first year both Arkansas and South Carolina played SEC schedules.
    2. These are based on the following:

Division Champion
    SEC Champ
    SEC Tourny Champ
    NCAA Regional appearances
    Super Regional apperances
    CWS Appearances
    CWS Championship
    40 win seasons
    50 win seasons

each team gets one point for every cat they place in per year. Pretty straight forward and basically rewards teams for postseason play and championships. I threw in the 40 and 50 wins part for seperation, you would be surprised how many teams don't win 40 + games. So with that all out of the way, here is how it came out..

LSU-82
    South Carolina-54
    Florida-51
    Alabama-37
    Arkansas-30
    MSU-30
    Tennessee-30
    Auburn-27
    Georgia-24
    Ole Miss-23
    Vandy-21
    Kentucky-7

Here is what I noticed..some of the stronger regular season teams did not have a good postseason. Vandy, don't fret being down there where you are, this is due to pre-Corbin, I have no doubt you will jump up as long as he is coaching there, but before Corbin, there was no postseason of note or at least not enough of it. Same with Ole Miss. Solid regular seasons, but postseason blues. Georgia does not get credit for their CWS championship here since it was pre-expansion, but I still acknowledge it overall. I think the team that really does not get a lot of credit is Alabama. Kentucky, I really don't know what to say but basketball season is around the corner.

Wow well done. I don't give out rep much, but this is deserving.

Wow well done. I don't give out rep much, but this is deserving.
    thanks, I am at work so I had time on my hands...LOL.

some other interesting notes...

LSU has pretty much been a 90's and onward team. Before 1990, they had only made 5 regionals. Quite amazing run really.
    State has the best winning percentage in all games played all time with a 62.9 winning percentage. Bama is right behind them at 62.8 percent. (coming into last season)
    South Carolina has had a great run recently but are traditionally one of the top tier teams historically, winning 61.9 percent of their games all time (coming into last season)

after re-reading the original rankings I think I can see what he did. I would even say where they stand with their current head coach, which would make a lot of sense to me and with that I would agree with his rankings.

+ Reply to Thread