+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Bradford came to Charlie Weis for help this summer

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Sam Bradford came to Charlie Weis for help this summer

The NFL lockout has created a nasty disadvantage for teams installing new offenses. In a normal year, a team that changes coordinators has an entire offseason to install the offense. By training camp, players should be well-versed in the new scheme's terminology and playbook. This year, players weren't even allowed to talk to their new coordinators. Some had playbooks, but without the coach to translate, a written copy of the offense wasn't all that meaningful.

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford faced that dilemma. When coordinator Pat Shurmur left St. Louis to become head coach in Cleveland, the Rams hired Josh McDaniels to run the offense. Bradford, the 2010 Offensive Rookie of the Year, couldn't pick McDaniels' brain because of the lockout. So Bradford decided to go back to school.

Just not his school.

Bradford, who won the 2008 Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma, spent two days in June at Florida, where he peppered first-year Gators offensive coordinator Charlie Weis with questions about the offense Weis ran -- and McDaniels ultimately took over -- in New England at the turn of this century. "They spent time in New England together," Bradford said. "So their offensive philosophies are fairly similar. Obviously, they don't run the exact same offense. But I just thought if I could come down and just talk some ball with coach Weis and get a feel for what his philosophy is, then it could possibly help me try to transition to Josh's offense."

During his trip to Gainesville, Bradford only had to endure a little ribbing about Florida's win against Oklahoma in the BCS title game in January 2009 from former Gators receiver Riley Cooper. Bradford's father and Cooper's father grew up together in Oklahoma. Cooper, who plays for the Eagles, served as Bradford's guide in Gainesville.

But while Cooper and his Eagles teammates know exactly what Andy Reid expects from his offense, Bradford wasn't sure what to tell his locked-out teammates about McDaniels' scheme. "I really didn't know where to start with that or what I needed to teach to our guys," said Bradford, who threw for 3,512 yards and 18 touchdowns as a rookie. "One of the things I asked coach Weis is, 'If you were going to install this offense, where would you start?' He gave me a couple of places to start."

Weis, who through a Florida spokesman declined to comment for this story, also showed Bradford a video that helped drive home some of the concepts in the playbook. "I have the playbook. I can look at the paper all I want," Bradford said. "But it's a lot different when you actually have someone who can kind of talk you through it -- someone who has experienced it, knows what the reads are and can kind of tell you what to expect."

Bradford also came away impressed with Weis, who was fired as Notre Dame's head coach after the 2009 season and who came to Florida after one successful year running the Kansas City Chiefs' offense. "Just in sitting down with him for a couple of days, he knows a lot about the game," Bradford said. "He's very detail-oriented."

The session also helped Bradford teach his teammates the offense during player-led workouts throughout the lockout. Bradford said organizing the workouts felt an awful lot like his time at Oklahoma. In college, coaches aren't allowed to organize offseason on-field workouts. So other than weight room work, Bradford and his teammates had to run the show. After a year away from Norman, Bradford found himself helping organize summer workouts again. But this time he had to worry about flight schedules instead of class schedules. "The only difference is not everyone lives in the same city anymore," Bradford said with a laugh.

After the lockout ended, the real crash course began for Bradford. According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, he arrived Tuesday at the Rams' facility and immediately embarked on a marathon film session with McDaniels. But Bradford didn't go into the session cold. McDaniels' former boss had already given Bradford a head start.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...f=twitter_feed

That can't hurt recruiting, especially of QBs.

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Dr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forums Dr.SwineSmeller's Avatar

blink Down the drain...

Well. There goes Sam.

BANNED F250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Sam Bradford came to Charlie Weis for help this summer

It's not as if he went to Weis because he's that good, its because he runs the same offense as the guy that got fired for drafting Tebow.

Master Gunnery Sergeant ugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forums

This just means that for two days in June there was a real QB on the Florida campus...
    Go Dawgs!

BANNED F250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forumsF250MustangGuy has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by ugabrad View Post
    This just means that for two days in June there was a real QB on the Florida campus...
    oh damn, you went there

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by F250MustangGuy View Post
    It's not as if he went to Weis because he's that good, its because he runs the same offense as the guy that got fired for drafting Tebow.
    I guess I am supposed to respond justifying Weis or something but if anyone's track record speaks for itself it is Charlie Weis. Guess you'll have to fish elsewhere for arguments LOL Good solid effort, though.

LOL I get a kick out of the responses. Keep up the good work. I know the offseason is when you all get to do the loudest barking and the QB thing was pretty funny.

faux real fodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forums fodive's Avatar

Brantley is the biggest X-factor in the SEC.

This was the offense he should have been in all along.

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Ill be honest, Im worried. I believe that Brantley is a VERY talented QB and in the right offense, he can flourish and put up ungodly numbers.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

My big concern is does Weis have enough time because of limits with college athletes to really coach him up enough in one off season. One more year and I think Brantley definitely gets it clicking. I hope he can put it together not just for Florida but for himself. Know someone close to his family and they've gone through a lot in the last year added with his struggles... he is due for something good his senior year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast