+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Do Any Canning?

God...Family...UK SkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forums SkyAntoine's Avatar

Anybody Do Any Canning?

This is the first year we've raised a garden and I've decided to start putting back what we can't eat. I bought an All-American 21.5 quart pressure cooker which is supposed to be the kind of cooker like grandma used and passed down to her family.

Anybody got any tips for me? I'm reading that people use this canner on a smoothtop stove, but all the warnings say to not use it due to the weight and use of induction heating. Anybody can with a cooktop? Any recipes you want to share?
    "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Re: Anybody Do Any Canning?

I have canned a good deal of green beans and tomatos, but never used a pressure cooker for that purpose.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

Just go light on the weight if you have one of those funky electric stoves without the burner elements. Yeah I know that they are not new anymore but my stove works so why replace it? Looking at the pressure cooker, I doubt you will have problems blowing that baby. Fort Knox has less protection.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Gunnery Sergeant dnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forums dnmuga93's Avatar

My wife cans stuff on the stovetop, but she uses a canning set she bought, not a pressure cooker. She cans tomatoes and peppers.

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

We no longer can anything. We have found that freezing is just as good, and a lot less trouble.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

MFR Bubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forums Bubba's Avatar

i thought canning was filling a mason jar and sealing it? lol

oh sky.
    ALL HAIL BRET BIELEMA AND GLORIOUS ARKANSAS!!!

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    ~George Washington

Moderator joehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forums joehogjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    i thought canning was filling a mason jar and sealing it? lol

oh sky.
    that's a pressure cooker bubba which can be used in the mason jar process.

like Herchel I prefer freezing. Just parboil what you want. However for pickles and chows.....
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

My American flag will hang upside down for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by joehogjoe View Post
    that's a pressure cooker bubba which can be used in the mason jar process.

like Herchel I prefer freezing. Just parboil what you want. However for pickles and chows.....
    Our canning days ended one day when the little woman had a batch of tomatos on the stove. The lid blew off one of the jars. You should try removing tomato paste from a stippled sheetrock ceiling.
    Deo Vindice

Peggy Noonan

Franz Kafka

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    Our canning days ended one day when the little woman had a batch of tomatos on the stove. The lid blew off one of the jars. You should try removing tomato paste from a stippled sheetrock ceiling.
    bummer and no thanks.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Sergeant ChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forums ChickenCurse's Avatar

I warned you about survival blog. Stop it. The world is not going to end in 2012.
    "Carolina's in Chapel Hill and USC's in California"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast