+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Low ranks the top 6 SEC Coaches

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

Chris Low ranks the top 6 SEC Coaches

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...otball-coaches

Veteran SEC journalist Jimmy Hyams of WNML Radio in Knoxville, Tenn., conducted a poll of 23 media members covering the SEC spring meetings last week in Destin, Fla.

One of the things he asked was to rank the SEC's top 6 football coaches right now.

Here's the way that vote turned out:

* 1. Nick Saban, Alabama

* 2. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina

* 3. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas

* 4. Les Miles, LSU

* 5. Gene Chizik, Auburn

* 6. Mark Richt, Georgia

Given that Saban is the only coach in history to win two national championships at two different SEC schools, he was a pretty easy choice for the top spot.

After that, it's a complete toss-up and about as subjective as it gets.

The way I tried to look at it was who would be on my list if I were an athletic director currently looking for a head coach and how healthy that coach's program was right now. In other words, was his program headed in the right direction. Experience was a factor, but so was age. I also considered what that coach had done over the course of his career with a premium placed on how well he'd recruited and developed players and any obstacles he might have overcome.

Keep in mind that this is a ranking that could change every year, but here's what my ballot looked like:

* 1. Nick Saban, Alabama

* 2. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas

* 3. Les Miles, LSU

* 4. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina

* 5. Gene Chizik, Auburn

* 6. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State

Nobody's a bigger fan of what Spurrier has done in this league than me, but I had him a spot or two lower because he's 66 and I'm not sure how many more years he's going to coach. If he can get the Gamecocks back to Atlanta this season, and certainly if he wins an SEC championship at South Carolina, he would shoot right back up to No. 2 on this list.

Leaving Georgia's Mark Richt out of the top 6 was difficult, but Georgia hasn't been Georgia the last couple of years.

It's hard not to be impressed by what Mullen has done at Mississippi State in his two seasons there. He's upgraded the talent, raised expectations and has Stark-Vegas geeked about football again. They're selling tickets there at a record pace.

And before anybody gives me too much grief about having Miles in the top 3, I'll take a coach any day who wins 11 or more games in this league four of his six seasons on the job. Miles is also one of the most underrated recruiting head coaches in college football.

MFR Bubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forums Bubba's Avatar

Re: Chris Low ranks the top 6 SEC Coaches

ALL HAIL BRET BIELEMA AND GLORIOUS ARKANSAS!!!

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    ~George Washington

Master Sergeant zud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forums zud the hut's Avatar

That's a good list HT!
    Trick Magnet The Hut Valentine

Sergeant Hump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forums Hump4Hoops's Avatar

I found the football/basketball list hilarious. Mullen was not a top 6 football coach (below Richt) yet Stansbury WAS a top 6 basketball coach (above Grant)!??!

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

I don't have an argument with the lists, other than this. I don't think it is realistic to rate coaches with almost no history.
    Last edited by Herchel; 06-10-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

I didn't even see a basketball coach list.

Gunnery Sergeant lbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forums

1. Saban
    2. Miles
    3. Richt
    4. Spurrier
    5. Petrino
    6. Mullen/ Chizik

The reason I put Chizik/Mullen down at 6 tied is because both had a good year last year, but only time will tell how they do in the long run.

True Maroon OffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forums OffThePorch's Avatar

The only Coach id take over Mullen is Saban. Petrino would be 3rd.

Sergeant Hump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forumsHump4Hoops has a great deal of respect on the forums Hump4Hoops's Avatar

Spurrier and Miles get way too much credit. Spurrier did great with great players at UF, but that's a school you have to be a complete moron to fail at (see: Kiffin @ UT) Miles has done great with the players he has, but have you ever thought for one second "Wow, Miles has done some beautiful coaching today"?

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps DBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forumsDBS has a great deal of respect on the forums DBS's Avatar

i'm very happy with Petrino, VERY happy.

* 1. Nick Saban, Alabama. Two schools, two NC. yeah, hard to beat that.

* 2. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas. Admit it, none of you feel good about beating Arkansas in the near future.

* 3. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State. I just like Mullen for some reason.

* 4. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina. History.

* 5. Mark Richt, UGA.I don't like his style of play, but his history says he's more than solid.

* 6. Gene Chizik, Auburn. Hate the douchebag, but he did win a NC by building a solid staff.

12. TIE* Nutt/Miles: Both are total ****ing retards.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast