+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cast Iron Skillet

faux real fodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forums fodive's Avatar

Cast Iron Skillet

I just bought one, I need some good skillet recipes if you have them. Cornbread, one dish meals, whatever you like.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Re: Cast Iron Skillet

Everything is better in a cast iron skillet. I cook almost every single meal (that doesn't go on the grill) in a cast iron skillet.

My father in law has a recipe for a pineapple upside down cake that he insists be baked in a cast iron skillet. I will see if I can get that recipe for you...

Master Gunnery Sergeant ACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forumsACCFanInTraining has a great deal of respect on the forums ACCFanInTraining's Avatar

Blackened grouper is one of my favorites.

Melt half a stick of butter in the microwave. Make sure fillets are dry. Coat fish.

Thoroughly cover fish in blacken seasoning.

Put enough oil to cover the skillet, but not too much to make it a fryer. (less likely to burn you too)

Heat until oil is very hot.

Drop one fillet at a time in skillet. About 3 mins on each side.

Replenish oil and allow it to heat back up between fillets if necessary

Sergeant ChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forumsChickenCurse has a great deal of respect on the forums ChickenCurse's Avatar

Make sure you heat the oil in the cornbread before adding the mix. If you don't the cornbread will come out flat and suck.
    "Carolina's in Chapel Hill and USC's in California"

Moderator joehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forums joehogjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fodive View Post
    I just bought one, I need some good skillet recipes if you have them. Cornbread, one dish meals, whatever you like.
    as DiD say everything is better in a cast iron skillet. That's almost true, but avoid using red sauces in it. It wears your seasoning out faster, still I like to make a mexican lasagna in a round skillet

if you have old skillets like I have predating even CP and Herchel, sometimes they need a bit more cleaning and I just build a fire outside or in the fireplace and set the skillet in the coals, the next day I take it out, it will have to be reseasoned but it will be like brand new.

My favorite cast iron recipe is this. My mexican corn bread.

I make it simple, I cheat and use a box of jiffy (like my cornbread sweat), I add an egg, about a 1/3 cup half and half, I add some cajun mirepoix mix(onion, peppers, celery), however much you want, I keep some frozen. I add about 1/2 cup corn kernels, and jalapenos to taste, and about a 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, sharp if possible. Mix all these ingredients up and let set while you heat the cast iron skillet, or a 9X4x4 cast iron bread pan in a 400 degree oven, with about 3 or 4 tablespoons oil, shortning or bacon grease in the skillet. When the skillet and grease are hot pour in the mixture and cook for about 17 to 22 minutes depending on the pan and oven. If you've season the pan well the cornbread will fall out when you flip it.

last night I cooked french frys in mine. Instead of a deep fryer I used the skillet. You can crowd the skillet and it allows the frys to get really soft on the inside and done on the outside without getting too brown or greasy.
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

My American flag will hang upside down for the foreseeable future.

God...Family...UK SkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forums SkyAntoine's Avatar

Make sure you buy a good wire brush. Those things are a booger to clean.
    "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

faux real fodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forums fodive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joehogjoe View Post
    as DiD say everything is better in a cast iron skillet. That's almost true, but avoid using red sauces in it.
    Why is that? It would seem a great vessel for red wine based reductions/pan gravies...

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Fo, my wife has always made our cornbread in a cast iron skillet. She uses an egg, buttermilk, oil, and corn meal. She says the recipe on the corn meal bag will turn out well for you. Her helpful hint is to get the skillet hot first. She says it makes a better crust that way. She has been doing this over 40 years with good results, so I feel confident in recommending this.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Alton Brown has a duck recipe called The Mighty Duck and it awesome. You gt you skillet NASA hot and brown the duck skin is awesome.
    Check out the recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Politics is like pro-wrestling -- Rollin' Baby

Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick two -- my buddy...
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

I use mine to blacken anything I can find.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast