+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses a Smoker

Corporal fishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forums fishntime's Avatar

Who uses a Smoker

I love grilling but I wanted to start smoking some of my food. I've been at it for almost a year and I am now just starting to get real good at it. I just got done smoking a chicken and it was good. I was going to take a picture and post it but the wife gives me an odd look when I take a picture of dinner. Maybe next time I post a picture of what I smoke.

MFR Bubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forums Bubba's Avatar

Re: Who uses a Smoker

All grill here.

What wood do you use?
    ALL HAIL BRET BIELEMA AND GLORIOUS ARKANSAS!!!

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    ~George Washington

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

I used a smoker when I was working in the restaurant industry. But I don't use one at home. We use to smoke everything back in the day. Let's just say we weren't afraid to smoke a little something ourselves and then come up with some crazy sh1t to throw in the smoker.

My chef smoked a chocolate cake once. Lemme tell you, it was fcking turrible.......

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

cry Re: Who uses a Smoker

I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread about bongs.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Corporal fishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forumsfishntime has a great deal of respect on the forums fishntime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    All grill here.

What wood do you use?
    Mesquite and Hickory most of the time. I have used apple once. Last night I used mesquite.

Oilfield Trash RedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forums RedNekTiger's Avatar
    All of you can go to Hell, I am going to Texas.

Cherry works good as well. So does pecan.
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

"I don't get it. If the educational system has been adjusted to cater to women, why are there still so many stupid ones?" - Wronghorns January 23, 2006

RedNekTiger - The Anti-Metrosexual - mngvol March 7, 2007

Speaking about the Holy Bible - "Yes I agree should not be taken literally." -swampmonster July 7, 2008

I love Cocks!!! - Rebel5AC March 18, 2010

When I wake up in the morning and I turn that film on, it's like reading a book and it's exciting. I don't read books, but if I read books it would be like reading a book. - Les Miles.

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

What wood you use should depend on what you are smoking. There is nothing better than Smoked Boston Butt.

Gunnery Sergeant AURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forumsAURex has a great deal of respect on the forums AURex's Avatar

I usually grill, as I've figured out how to grill properly without drying out the meat.

But I've got 3 racks of baby back ribs in the smoker right now. And I like to smoke a turkey at Thanksgiving. I have a fairly small separate smoker, not an attachment on a large grill. So I smoke meats and then grill veggies and stuff to go with.

Whether I'm grilling or smoking, I use natural wood charcoal chunks plus wood. I love mesquite when my rub is spicy southwest flavors and for cold water fish like halibut and salmon. I prefer hickory for beef.

But I usually prefer wood from fruit trees for pork and other meats that I smoke -- apple, pear, cherry, whatever I can find. I chop the fruit wood into sizable (fist sized to hand-sized) scraps and keeping the wood soaking in water. That way, when I add the wet chunks throughout the afternoon, the steam carries the fruit smoke to the meat.

I never use tomato-based sauces (including anything with ketchup) when grilling or smoking. I prefer dry rubs, with different combinations of seasonings for variety. I will sometimes do a tomato-based sauce for dipping at the table, especially when we have company. I'll occasionally use a wet sauce for fusion-flavored BBQ like satay chicken or Korean BBQ or just for variety when I'm forced to use the oven rather than grill or smoker (like winter in Illinois and NY, thunderstorms in the south). But sloppy wet sauces on the grill or smoker is really not my thing.

One of my favorite smoked meats is Kalua pork. I had this when I was a kid living in Hawaii and have been addicted to it ever since. My dad picked up a good recipe while stationed there and he would make it once we moved to Alabama, and now I make it. Of course, he didn't do a whole pig in a pit, just a roast in the smoker, which is what I do now.

Got some home made red cabbage slaw and some well-seasoned black beans to go with these baby backs tonight. I'm hungry!

Sergeant MizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forumsMizzouRob has a great deal of respect on the forums MizzouRob's Avatar

My smoker is a VERY inexpensive little cube from Wal-Mart, that has columnns up the corners for the wood chips (usually apple and cherry) and a wire basket in the middle. I only smoke about 2-3x a year, but it works perfectly for a couple racks of ribs or a picnic roast.

I use the rub linked below from a local spice shop (it's the absolute best if you enjoy a sweeter taste), a light coat of the sweet mustard to make it stick, and while smoking a spray bottle with an applejuice (mostly) and white vinegar (partially) mix, really keeps the pork (ribs/butt) moist and delicious and adds a very subtle flavor that I really enjoy. Give it a try sometime!

http://www.oldtownspices.com/p-361-a...smoke-rub.aspx

http://www.oldtownspices.com/p-1695-...y-mustard.aspx

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

We use a lot of pecan wood in smoking.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast