+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another week... another tournament

Oilfield Trash RedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forums RedNekTiger's Avatar
    All of you can go to Hell, I am going to Texas.

Re: Another week... another tournament

Quote Originally Posted by thagodfather View Post
    Good job. Sounds like they have been coached up a little.
    I am not the best coach in the world. Back in Katy, I was the 3rd best coach on the team. But up here............
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

"I don't get it. If the educational system has been adjusted to cater to women, why are there still so many stupid ones?" - Wronghorns January 23, 2006

RedNekTiger - The Anti-Metrosexual - mngvol March 7, 2007

Speaking about the Holy Bible - "Yes I agree should not be taken literally." -swampmonster July 7, 2008

I love Cocks!!! - Rebel5AC March 18, 2010

When I wake up in the morning and I turn that film on, it's like reading a book and it's exciting. I don't read books, but if I read books it would be like reading a book. - Les Miles.

Staff Sergeant thagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forums thagodfather's Avatar

Tennessee Re: Another week... another tournament

Quote Originally Posted by RedNekTiger View Post
    I am not the best coach in the world. Back in Katy, I was the 3rd best coach on the team. But up here............
    It sounds as if you are doing just fine at your present location. Coaching in the past with other good coaches also has it's benefits. I know that it helped me tremendously.

We are short on football coaching talent here but when it comes to baseball, we have been blessed. That's the reason why i'm so proud of the success that our baseball teams that we've been lucky enough to coach have had. If a coach can win the league here then he can win anywhere.

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Rocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forumsRocky@theTop has a great deal of respect on the forums Rocky@theTop's Avatar

We have two leagues in Murfreesboro and about 6 others throughout the county and they are completely void of any substantial talent. We have SIX 9yo travel teams in Rutherford County. WAY TOO MANY! Don't get me wrong... our travel teams are good, but the Rec leagues are very average.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyAntoine View Post
    Go Vols
    Quote Originally Posted by weegeman View Post
    Go Vols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brummett_For_UK View Post
    Go Vols.

Oilfield Trash RedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forums RedNekTiger's Avatar

It sounds as if you are doing just fine at your present location. Coaching in the past with other good coaches also has it's benefits. I know that it helped me tremendously.

We are short on football coaching talent here but when it comes to baseball, we have been blessed. That's the reason why i'm so proud of the success that our baseball teams that we've been lucky enough to coach have had. If a coach can win the league here then he can win anywhere.

Football I can coach. I had 1st grade defenses reading basic offensive schemes.
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

"I don't get it. If the educational system has been adjusted to cater to women, why are there still so many stupid ones?" - Wronghorns January 23, 2006

Speaking about the Holy Bible - "Yes I agree should not be taken literally." -swampmonster July 7, 2008

When I wake up in the morning and I turn that film on, it's like reading a book and it's exciting. I don't read books, but if I read books it would be like reading a book. - Les Miles.

Staff Sergeant thagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forumsthagodfather has a great deal of respect on the forums thagodfather's Avatar

Football I can coach. I had 1st grade defenses reading basic offensive schemes.
    Now that is pretty darn impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky@theTop View Post
    We have two leagues in Murfreesboro and about 6 others throughout the county and they are completely void of any substantial talent. We have SIX 9yo travel teams in Rutherford County. WAY TOO MANY! Don't get me wrong... our travel teams are good, but the Rec leagues are very average.
    We have two travel teams for almost every age group. However, those kids also play league ball so league play is pretty good also. The all star teams at the end of league play is made mostly up of the travel players obviously. This helps the success of the all star teams because these kids have chemistry from playing together all season long on the travel teams.

Now that is pretty darn impressive.
    Well, the offenses were pretty simple and I taught them basics, like keying on strong vs weakside. Watching for passes in the flats. How to recognize a handoff vs a QB keeper. Repetitive formations.

I focused on different things for different groups.

Lineman..............taught them to not listen to the snap count but to move on the ball. In pee wee football, there is a delay from when the ball is snapped to when the O Line moves. By reacting to the ball, instead of the snap count or their man, they consistently got penetration. My son actually took a hand off in the backfield before the RB could get there. Also worked on watching how they lined up as keys to where they were going. How to shed a block and contiment / lane assignments.

LBs - Flow to the ball and read the backfield. Watch for reverse or misdirection plays. Read strong v weak. Watch for dump passes to the flats. No one passed downfield. Shedding blocks.

CBs - Focused and containment vs pursuit. Recognizing a player coming out to the flats and closing.

Safeties - Reading before the snap. Then watching the play develop without over pursuing. Closure angles.

If you can do those basic things, and tackle well, you can have a good defense at any level.
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

Well, the offenses were pretty simple and I taught them basics, like keying on strong vs weakside. Watching for passes in the flats. How to recognize a handoff vs a QB keeper. Repetitive formations.

I focused on different things for different groups.

Lineman..............taught them to not listen to the snap count but to move on the ball. In pee wee football, there is a delay from when the ball is snapped to when the O Line moves. By reacting to the ball, instead of the snap count or their man, they consistently got penetration. My son actually took a hand off in the backfield before the RB could get there. Also worked on watching how they lined up as keys to where they were going. How to shed a block and contiment / lane assignments.

LBs - Flow to the ball and read the backfield. Watch for reverse or misdirection plays. Read strong v weak. Watch for dump passes to the flats. No one passed downfield. Shedding blocks.

CBs - Focused and containment vs pursuit. Recognizing a player coming out to the flats and closing.

Safeties - Reading before the snap. Then watching the play develop without over pursuing. Closure angles.

If you can do those basic things, and tackle well, you can have a good defense at any level.
    Great post. I'm also a defensive coach and our style of coaching is very much the same. I'm very detail oriented and i like to teach. Too many coaches just want to scrimmage in practice. To be honest, it's lazy coaching. Also, i'm sure that something you teach is lineman shooting gaps instead of hitting the offensive lineman head on. I teach them to focus on their assigned gap not the player in front of them. I spend some major time in every practice with my linemen because if your team has a disruptive d-line then your team has a successful defense. Coaches like you should be appreciated, there's not many at this level.

Great post. I'm also a defensive coach and our style of coaching is very much the same. I'm very detail oriented and i like to teach. Too many coaches just want to scrimmage in practice. To be honest, it's lazy coaching. Also, i'm sure that something you teach is lineman shooting gaps instead of hitting the offensive lineman head on. I teach them to focus on their assigned gap not the player in front of them. I spend some major time in every practice with my linemen because if your team has a disruptive d-line then your team has a successful defense. Coaches like you should be appreciated, there's not many at this level.
    I agree, on gap discipline. Line up on shoulder, not head up. Getting foot through gap and then I teach a modified swim move to clear the gap. Then simply find the ball.

I allow my DTs a good bit of freedom if they get in the backfield. I make the DEs commit more to containment, as EVERYONE, wants to run toss sweeps. But once they identify the ball, they are free to pursue. Then I use my OLBs and CBs for secondary containment. But the main thing as a general defensive philosophy is that we attack up front and at LB. Then use the secondary as a backstop.

If you can consistently get your DTs in the backfield, they are done. Same as in any level of football.

I also try to teach strong fundamentals. From the correct stance, correct first step, how to use your hands to fight off blocks. How to break free from a holding OLineman. Focus on good form tackling. Creating fumbles. Situational awareness, etc. I will coach these kids until 6th grade. When they get to the Jr High and HS level, I want them to have a base to learn from.

My son is a pretty good interior lineman. He is 4'8". 105 pounds and just turned 8. Quick first step off the snap. Strong legs, good hands. And plays with a mean streak.

He plays OT on offense. Does pretty good there, but I think he will move inside as he gets older. If he gets a little faster, he might make a good TE, as he has really soft hands for a big kid.
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

I agree, on gap discipline. Line up on shoulder, not head up. Getting foot through gap and then I teach a modified swim move to clear the gap. Then simply find the ball.

I allow my DTs a good bit of freedom if they get in the backfield. I make the DEs commit more to containment, as EVERYONE, wants to run toss sweeps. But once they identify the ball, they are free to pursue. Then I use my OLBs and CBs for secondary containment. But the main thing as a general defensive philosophy is that we attack up front and at LB. Then use the secondary as a backstop.
    If you can consistently get your DTs in the backfield, they are done. Same as in any level of football.

I also try to teach strong fundamentals. From the correct stance, correct first step, how to use your hands to fight off blocks. How to break free from a holding OLineman. Focus on good form tackling. Creating fumbles. Situational awareness, etc. I will coach these kids until 6th grade. When they get to the Jr High and HS level, I want them to have a base to learn from.

My son is a pretty good interior lineman. He is 4'8". 105 pounds and just turned 8. Quick first step off the snap. Strong legs, good hands. And plays with a mean streak.

He plays OT on offense. Does pretty good there, but I think he will move inside as he gets older. If he gets a little faster, he might make a good TE, as he has really soft hands for a big kid.
    Our defensive philosophies are identical. It's also good to see someone still spending time to teach fundamentals. Too many coaches yelling at kids in games to do things that they have not been taught to do. I'm sorry for complaining about other coaches but whether it's my team or not, i like to see kids progress and i hate seeing kids get a butt ripping from a coach for not blocking, tackling, etc. when the kid hasn't been taught correctly in practice. It's becoming a trend around my area to scrimmage 95% of the time in practice. I don't understand why a coach wants to teach plays but not teach the basic fundamentals that it takes to make the play successful.

My son plays olb on defense and te on offense as he is also a big kid but has the best hands on the team. I miss his blocking at fb and running in short yardage situations but i have other fb's but i'm empty at te.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast