+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HD/Cable TV Boxes; What Do You Know?

MFR Bubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forums Bubba's Avatar

HD/Cable TV Boxes; What Do You Know?

1st let me start by saying i have suddenlink as my cable service provider. internet, phone, digital tv.

in the living room theres a digital tv box. Motorola. it picks up our regular cable and im assuming the free HD channels. i already get over the air free HD local channels, but im wondering if i can just buy another HD/Digital box and put it in my room, and the feed will be compatible with the box?

i hope thats not confusing.

i dont know if the cable box i already have has a chip or somthing that works only for that type of box to recieve suddenlink signal, or if its in the signal.

the main question is, if i bought a HD reciever/cable box, would it be plug and play? or would i have to go through my service provider?
    ALL HAIL BRET BIELEMA AND GLORIOUS ARKANSAS!!!

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    ~George Washington

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Re: HD/Cable TV Boxes; What Do You Know?

I don't know for certain, but I would assume they encrypt their signal so you would need a box provided by the company.

You can get your locals in HD via an antenna though. There is a chance that they do send out a few channels "in the clear" and other boxes or tuner cards could recieve them, but I don't know about that service.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

MFR Bubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forumsBubba has a great deal of respect on the forums Bubba's Avatar

Thanks box. Ima call the cable ppl and see what they say. I bet they'll tell me I have to Have their box.

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
    ~George Washington

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thanks box. Ima call the cable ppl and see what they say. I bet they'll tell me I have to Have their box.
    Well yeah they will, they want more moola!

I did a quick search for QAM and it looks like all cable stations broadcast your locals unencrypted. It is the law. So you should at least be able to get your locals in HD on your other TV without paying for an extra box.

Your TV might even be QAM capable. It is hooked up to the cable now?
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    Well yeah they will, they want more moola!

I did a quick search for QAM and it looks like all cable stations broadcast your locals unencrypted. It is the law. So you should at least be able to get your locals in HD on your other TV without paying for an extra box.

Your TV might even be QAM capable. It is hooked up to the cable now?
    yeah man. i can get locals and fox SW in HD. my provider just added some more free HD channels and their accessable with the digital package (the box)

disney,mtv,espn, etc. ive reprogrammed my tv and it hasnt picked up any of them. so i almost know ill need that box.

now i have read somthing about a CableCard, you "rent" from the provider to put in a tivo reciever, or other reciever to be able to process the signal for the cable box. i might take the box in the living room apart and see if theres such a thing.

~Thomas Jefferson

~George Washington

Master Gunnery Sergeant Heck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forumsHeck Pup has a great deal of respect on the forums Heck Pup's Avatar

My brother had a cable box that was actually preventing him from receiving HD channels. Removed the box and plugged the cable directly into the TV, and now he gets ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS all in HD at no extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    My brother had a cable box that was actually preventing him from receiving HD channels. Removed the box and plugged the cable directly into the TV, and now he gets ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS all in HD at no extra charge.
    wow. how odd.

~Thomas Jefferson

~George Washington

Hmm... well I suppose it is possible that they give them to you free with the subsription to the basic package, but don't broadcast them "in the clear" like they do the local affiliates.

They most likely do this so people will sign up thinking "hey they are giving me free HD unlike those big bad sat. companies!" Then they make you rent a digital reciever just to see them even if you don't subscribe to digital cable.
    -----------------------

+ Reply to Thread