+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power politics trumps ideological platforms

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

Power politics trumps ideological platforms

GOP move to block troop funding. This is a collection of all posts on this so far. Anyone have other links?

A bill to continue funding troops in Iraq and Afghanistan might not sound controversial, but Senate Republicans did their best to block it this morning. Thirty-three of them voted to filibuster the legislation--just seven votes short. The only Republicans to join Dems approving the bill were Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas, and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine. So why would Republicans--who spent years reproving Democrats for insufficiently supporting the troops -- vote to cut off their funding? (House Republicans, meanwhile, voted overwhelmingly to support the funding measure.) Observers think it's a tactic designed to stall the health care vote. For their part, liberals are incensed, while conservative writers are conspicuously silent.......
    Link has excerpt to the articles.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2007 - Year of the Oil Baron
    2008 - Year of the Fab Five
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Quote Originally Posted by USC90
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Re: Power politics trumps ideological platforms

Doesn't power politics usually trump ideology?
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

Master Gunnery Sergeant Fatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forums Fatboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    That's what I was thinking. This is an attempt to derail the healthcare bill as the authors notes. I never gave serious thought that it would pass and it still may not. At least it will be watered down. Now if only we can hold elections before they try and "fix" it.

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

of course it does. I guess the f/u question is: is it acceptable only because it's "the right side" doing it. Or is it equally unacceptable.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,

Master Sergeant aufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forumsaufan59 has a great deal of respect on the forums aufan59's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    of course it does. I guess the f/u question is: is it acceptable only because it's "the right side" doing it. Or is it equally unacceptable.
    "The right side" is the side delaying government from expanding.

So yes, it is acceptable only because "the right side" is doing it.
    I believe in God,
    the Father almighty,
    Creator of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ,
    his only Son, our Lord,
    who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
    born of the Virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate,
    was crucified,
    died and was buried;
    he descended into hell;
    on the third day he rose again from the dead;
    he ascended into heaven,
    and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
    from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the holy catholic Church,
    the communion of saints,
    the forgiveness of sins,
    the resurrection of the body,
    and life everlasting.
    Amen

Master Gunnery Sergeant Fatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forums Fatboy's Avatar

It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong. It's part of "the process"

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    It doesn't matter whether it's right or wrong. It's part of "the process"
    Not exactly and your answer is a dodge. Also, bear in mind that this is troop funding. The people we have out there dying because we sent them there. That a worthy matter?

I don't mind. Remember. You're the one who said you're results oriented. So, I have to guess you're ok with hardball when it's what you want and you're against it otherwise. I thought this would be pretty simple. It's a support the troops issue or not. If you want to let soldiers die by not funding them so you can hope to score political gotcha points in January 2010, then that's fine. Just admit that's what you're doing.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Apparently the GOP doesn't support our troops and hates America.
    TRUMP: Did you interfere?

PUTIN: No

Trump: Time to move forward

TRUMP: Were you born in US?

OBAMA: Yes

Trump: This requires five years of suspicion

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

It's never acceptable to me, but I don't think congress cares what I think.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

It's never acceptable to me, but I don't think congress cares what I think.
    Well, you're a principled person. Unlike some in congress and their constituents.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast