+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alienbeans...

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Alienbeans...

I looked at a computer for someone today that wouldn't turn on. I assumed it was the PSU so I put one in it that I know works. It still wouldn't turn on. Wouldn't go to the POST, wouldn't beep, wouldn't even spin the fans once.

The only two assumptions I could come to were either a bad power switch, or an open trace on the MB. The person doesn't really care since all they wanted was stuff off the HDD, so I took it out for them so they could put it in an enclosure and turn it into an external drive for their new PC. I just want to know if you can think of any other possibilities it could be.

I thought about trying to take the switch out, but getting into the front panel of an old Compaq is more work than I wanted to do on a Saturday afternoon.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Staff Sergeant AlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forums AlienBeans's Avatar

Re: Alienbeans...

box...here's what you can do (if you are comfortable doing it). Open up the case and lay it on its side ( i'm assuming its a tower). Find where the 2 pin power is pluged into the motherboard. It will be usually toward the bottom of the board, and its where the HDLED and Reset cables and such plug in. If you want to know if the switch could be bad, reach in and unplug the 2 pin PWR connection. Connect the PC up to a keyboard/mouse and monitor and turn on the power supply in the back. Once all that is done, get a screwdriver and touch the two pins where the PWR wires are normally plugged in. If you touch those two pins with a screwdriver, and the switch is bad, it will power up. IF it doesn't power up this way, then the motherboard is bad. (you say you already know the power supply is good) make sure all connections are made for the power supply too. The 4 pin 12 volt connector must be plugged in as well as the main power connector. Just an FYI.

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Well I already gave it back since they didn't really care about getting working. It doesn't cause a spark when you jump those pins though?
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Staff Sergeant AlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forums AlienBeans's Avatar

nope...it will just power the machine up if the board is good and has power....

+ Reply to Thread