+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Interview with David Hale - UGA beat writer - Tebow....

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

Interview with David Hale - UGA beat writer - Tebow....

I was just reading this interview and the Tebow comment came out of left field. I almost choked on my lunch. hahahahahahah.

http://secrivals.com/interview-uga-b...ter-david-hale

July 31, 2009 | Darrell Owenby | Comments (0) 180 views
    Print This Post Print This Post
    Interview With UGA Beat Writer David Hale

SECRivals.com was fortunate enough to recently talk to Georgia Sports Writer David Hale. David covers UGA athletics for Macon.com and The Bulldogs Blog. Hale, a native of Wilmington, Delaware is indeed a very busy man.

SECR: David, thank you so much for taking the time for us.

DH: No problem, happy to do it.

SECR: For our readers outside of the UGA market, give us your background.

DH: Well, itís the typical American story. Boy goes to college. Boy drinks to much. Boy floats around from one useless job to another before deciding to go to journalism school. Add four years of Southern cooking and (not coincidentally) about 20 pounds, and here we are.

SECR: You cover the Georgia Bulldogs for a couple of outlets. Describe to
    our readers, what your typical day is like.

DH: I got into sports writing because I assumed thereíd be few early mornings, but as it turns out, Iím usually up pretty early. I sift through the a couple dozen other Web sites to get a read on what else has been written about UGA and put together some links for my blog. Of course I make it to the gym regularly (if you define regularly as twice a month) and then itís off to practice. I try to add about two to three posts to the blog a day, plus Iím usually writing a lead feature and a notebook for the newspaper each day during the season. Itís a lot of writing, which is somewhat challenging due to my limited vocabulary, but I get by.

SECR: You just came back from SEC Media Days. How many trips does this make for you?

DH: Third trip, actually. My first time was a bit overwhelming, as there is a lot of media and everyone sort of treats it like the baggage claim at the airport. Itís a free-for-all and everyone is marginally cranky. I think Iím handling it a bit better by now, but that could all be just because Tim Tebow really brings a sense of peace and calm to the proceedings.

SECR: What was your favorite moment while in Hoover?

DH: Were there moments that didnít involve Tim Tebow? Frankly, Iím still waiting for a decent apology from Steve Spurrier. The first 23 didnít do it for me. Actually my favorite moment came during the otherwise boring Day 1, when Kentucky coach Rich Brooks was asked about his opinion on social networking sites such as Twitter. This was his reply: ďWell, I donít know if I Twitter that much. I twitter quite a bit lately. But I donít think I probably have as many people answering the Twitter or listening to the Twitter or whatever you do to Twitters.Ē

SECR: Who has been your toughest (UGA) interviewee? Why?

DH: Covering Georgia has actually been pretty easy from that standpoint. In the four years Iíve covered the team, I really have liked virtually everyone Iíve interviewed with very few exceptions. From a standpoint of difficulty, however, last year was slightly challenging when it came to interviewing the stars. Matthew Stafford has been a pro since he was a freshman in high school, and he was awfully good at giving some pretty vanilla answers to whatever you asked. I genuinely liked Knowshon Moreno, but for as good as he was as a player, he really didnít spend much time thinking about football, and he definitely didnít spend much time thinking about answers to questions about football. I think that made me respect him more, but it made me want to interview him a lot less.

SECR: What is your outlook for UGA this season?

DH: Even Mark Richt says heís not sure what to expect from this team. There are a lot of question marks, but thereís also a lot of potential. I think UGA is a safe bet to at least finish second in the East and win eight or nine games, but I doubt many people will call that a successful season even without Stafford and Moreno. Unfortunately with Florida so stacked with experienced talent, itís hard to predict a lot more. That doesnít mean an SEC East title would surprise me though.

SECR: In your opinion, what makes Joe Cox a different player from Matthew Stafford?

DH: Cox is just a natural leader and a guy that has no trouble rallying the people around him. Itís not that Stafford didnít care about winning, but he just didnít have that same charisma that Cox brings. As good as Stafford was and as much talent as he has, I honestly think that the leadership that Cox brings was perhaps the biggest thing missing from last yearís team. I find it hard to believe that the team would have come out flat against Alabama had Cox been in the huddle. Of course, Iím not sure Cox could have come anywhere close to completing that pass to A.J. Green in the end zone in the fourth quarter against Kentucky either, so thereís a real trade-off there.

SECR: How much has Twitter changed the game for journalists?

DH: Well, when Rich Brooks is talking about it, you know itís not just for kids anymore. To be honest, I still donít really get it, but it has served a nice purpose for me in that it has allowed me to update news and share information instantly while giving me another great way to have a real back-and-forth with readers. I try to look at my job as a conversation with fans as much as possible, and the beauty of these new forms of communication is that they tend to give the fans a much bigger voice in that conversation.

SECRivals.com appreciates the time that David Hale gave us. David is a fantastic writer and as mentioned before, you MUST make his blog a part of your daily reading regime, Dawg fan or not. The amount of information on his blog is absolutely next level and the interviews are NOT to be missed. Additionally, David is a UGA beat writer for Macon.com.

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Re: Interview with David Hale - UGA beat writer - Tebow....

that was good, especially re: Spurrier

+ Reply to Thread