+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Billy Donovan

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Billy Donovan

Interesting article on Billy Donovan and what the last four years have done to his rep. What do you think the last two years at Florida have done to Billy D's rep from a national standpoint, especially in comparison to some of the other great coaches of the day?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,3607024.story
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Billy Donovan

IMO, I think Florida is still a top 20 program, and Billy Donovan is rated higher than that in terms of coaching. However, another NIT year would really hurt the perception of the program. With the SECE being really strong next year, Florida could finish anywhere between 1st to 5th next year, although some people are quietly saying they'll be a surprise... but it's just hard for me to think they'll be better than Tennessee, Vandy, or Kentucky on paper, and USC is a crapshoot.

Billy D coached in three national title games this decade (with two different rosters), so he's really not got much to prove. However, I think in a sense he's really been hit or miss with his teams. There's only been one middle of the road Sweet 16/Elite 8 type loss... and that lack of consistently I think puts him behind a few coaches, especially with the level of talent they've had there this decade.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

I think it all comes down to his system and how well guys fit into it.

He runs a spread pick and roll offense, and for that you need guards just as athletic and smart as the those in the DDM, but you also need at least one post player who can play inside and outside equally well. Without that post player to be the screener the whole offense struggles.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

True Maroon OffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forums OffThePorch's Avatar

best Coach in the SEC.

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

The program has had a lot of turnover. Seems like an assistant coach takes a jump up every year including this year. Every year another key guy or two leave to go pro, not even counting when we lost the 04's at one time. I think that combined with a flawed recruiting strategy (going for program guys but too far in that direct to the point where he stopped taking elite guys in the event they might be one and done ... no secret he is highly against the current one year rule) made things rough. Now you see Donovan going back after the blue chip talent like Knight, Boynton, Melo, Young, Rivers, Beal, etc. And he stands a great chance of landing a bunch of them. You need a mix of elite and program guys. I am tired so maybe this is more of a ramble but hopefuly its making sense.

Anyway, I think the roster will head back in the right direct. Now hopefully there will be more stability in the staff. But I gotta think within a few years someone will give Richard Pitino a HC job too.

I like our starting 5 next year. I even am comfortable with the back ups in the front court and the 2 position. But the lack of a back up PG could really end up hurting us bad next year.

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    I think it all comes down to his system and how well guys fit into it.

He runs a spread pick and roll offense, and for that you need guards just as athletic and smart as the those in the DDM, but you also need at least one post player who can play inside and outside equally well. Without that post player to be the screener the whole offense struggles.
    Yeah the system has gotten people open the last couple of years but guys have missed shots way too much. I don't think the system has lost anything because if you go back and look it wasn't for a lack of open looks in most games.

With all due respect GM32, I think Billy D recruiting Melo and Knight has nothing to do with a change in recruiting strategy. With those guys being in Florida I think he would have recruited those guys whether he actually changed his recruiting strategy or not. You still have to secure the borders and Billy D has tried to do that since he's been there IMO.

I think what really hurt Florida was that the 04s left, the '05 class never panned out with Sutton, Kitchen, and Huertas... so that was basically two recruiting classes gone after the 2007 championship season, and you're basically stuck with Speights and Calathes and that's it. Losing the assistants (Grant in '06, Jones in '07, Preston in '08, and Shaka Smart in '09) certainly hasn't helped. But, Tom Izzo and Rick Pitino have done pretty good with high staff turnover. I think with Billy D being the head coach, as long as he's there, there's not really much wrong with the coaching staff.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMan32 View Post
    Yeah the system has gotten people open the last couple of years but guys have missed shots way too much. I don't think the system has lost anything because if you go back and look it wasn't for a lack of open looks in most games.
    That's what happens when Dan Werner is being relied upon so much, but honestly, I think a lot of people were content to just sit back and watch Calathes do all the work. He set some guys up for layups and dunks, so it wasn't just three point shots that were missing. I think there was a disconnect between what Coach Donovan was telling guys and how they interpreted their roles. Those breakdowns are unusual for Billy D, who is a clear communicator by the way, which is part of the reason he's been ultra-successful.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Well I mentioned the combination of turnover in roster and staff. The only constant has been Donovan himself. And as I said in another thread I think he took a flawed stategy in recruiting program guys thinking that was the formula cause of the 04's but its not that simple and also I believe he lost some fire. Little bit of fat cat syndrome but thats my opinion from afar, not from someone close to the program. All I know is people close to the program this summer have stated repeatedly that he has found a new fire and motivation and is working harder than they've ever seen him work.

I disagree on Melo. He is clearly a one and done and not something Donvoan likes. But you get a high impact big like that, if you can, you gotta do it. He is going full force for him now. Seems like it will be UF or Louisville.

I am sorry to see Nick go. But in some ways not. Like you said those guys were OK with watching him and now thats gone. Those other guys must do more now and they know it.

I just find it hard to believe Billy D would be content to let Melo go even if he was still in his "old frame of mind." That's just my opinion, because he got #11 Calathes in 2007 and #7 Boynton in 2009. Those are elite guys, one and done types if you're predicting the future. He even recruited Boynton for years, so I can't see when he ever really stopped wanting the elite guys, especially guys from Florida. I don't doubt Billy wanted more program players, he said he wanted to follow Tubby's model while Coach Smith was here (Billy's own words), so I don't disagree with that, but I don't think he completely ever gave up on the elite players either. Granted, he's been very vocal about dealing with the runners of these elite players, but it seems like he realizes it's a necessary evil.

No surprise that Billy D has a new fire about his job. He could go to three more NITs and still not be on the hotseat at Florida, so he's okay in terms of security, but the guys obviously likes to win, so he better approach the job with more fire.

Where do you think Florida finishes in the SECE next year?
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast