+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toughest nonconference schedules in the SEC

True Maroon OffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forumsOffThePorch has a great deal of respect on the forums OffThePorch's Avatar

Arrow Toughest nonconference schedules in the SEC

Toughest nonconference schedules in the SEC
    June 10, 2009 9:00 AM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-7-3...n-the-SEC.html

Who in the SEC lined up the cupcakes for this coming season?

Truthfully, there are always a few on every nonconference schedule, but one SEC team in particular should be ashamed. Here's a look at how the nonconference schedules rank in 2009 from toughest to easiest:

1. Georgia: Remember when the criticism of the Bulldogs was that they didn't play anybody outside the SEC? Well, they open the 2009 season at Oklahoma State and end the season against Georgia Tech on the road, two top 15-caliber teams. Arizona State also comes to Athens next season. Whew!

2. South Carolina: The Gamecocks face three teams that went to bowls a year ago, including North Carolina State on the road to open the season in a Thursday night game. Having that Clemson game on the tail end of a grueling SEC slate is also anything but ideal.

3. Alabama: Granted, there are three sure wins on Alabama's nonconference schedule, but the Crimson Tide make up for it by playing a top 10 team (Virginia Tech) at a neutral site to open the season. The Hokies will be one of the best defensive clubs in the country.

4. Mississippi State: It's not that Mississippi State's nonconference schedule is dotted with great teams, but the Bulldogs face three very losable games. They get Georgia Tech and Houston at home, two bowl teams from a year ago, and have to play at Middle Tennessee, one of those nothing-to-gain, everything-to-lose contests.

5. Florida: The next time the Gators leave the state of Florida to play a tough nonconference game will be the first time. They get a little bit of a pass, though, because they face Florida State every year. The Seminoles have to come to Gainesville in 2009, as does a Troy team that should be even better than the one that almost knocked off LSU last season.

6. Auburn: While the Tigers don't have to leave the comfy confines of Jordan-Hare Stadium to play a single nonconference game in 2009, West Virginia and Ball State are hardly pushovers. Of course, it helps that Pat White has finally moved on.

7. Vanderbilt: It certainly isn't the best year to be playing Georgia Tech, which brings its triple-option attack to Nashville on Oct. 31 -- a week before Vanderbilt has to travel to Florida. The Commodores also have to go on the road to face Army and Rice.

8. Arkansas: The Razorbacks' SEC schedule is so difficult that anything else would pale in comparison. But their nonconference schedule isn't what you would call easy. They play Texas A&M in the Cowboys' new stadium and face a very capable Troy team that will be thinking upset come Nov. 14.

9. LSU: At first glance, the trip to Washington looks ominous enough, but then you remember that the Huskies went 0-12 last season. There's also a "trip" to Tulane. Throw in home games against Louisiana-Lafayette and Louisiana Tech, and it's a nonconference schedule that has 4-0 written all over it.

10. Tennessee: The Vols have always been pretty good about playing one big intersectional game a year, and UCLA comes to town next fall. But other than the Bruins, who will have to make the cross-country trip, there's not much to Tennessee's nonconference schedule in 2009.

11. Kentucky: Louisville's program isn't what it used to be, which hurts Kentucky when it comes to schedule strength. All in all, this nonconference schedule looks a lot like the one last season, one that features four built-in wins.

12. Ole Miss: For a team that's supposed to be loaded, the Rebels have a ridiculously cushy nonconference schedule. They're the only team in the league that will play two FCS schools (Southeastern Louisiana and Northern Arizona) in 2009. That should never happen in the SEC.

Master Gunnery Sergeant ugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Toughest nonconference schedules in the SEC

I'd say that games against West Virginia (Auburn), Georgia Tech (Vandy) and UCLA (Tennessee) are probably tougher than Florida State (UF).

I'll agree with the top four in this list, but I would shuffle the rest...except for the last one. Ole Miss really has a patsy schedule this year. If they don't win the SEC West their coach should be fired.
    Go Dawgs!

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

how is UCLA tougher than FSU? you are biased so not even going to enter a serious debate there. the only one i will give you without argument is GT. i love Johnson as a coach. he is so underrated.

every year we hear the same thing and i dont really care. we always end up top 10 for schedule strength. as much as i'd love to play Texas or whatever, im not losing sleep over it. maybe we will see Texas in the BCSCG this year if both teams earn their way there.

Master Gunnery Sergeant MKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forums
    Unknown, but these padded walls are nice!

Quote Originally Posted by ugabrad View Post
    I'd say that games against West Virginia (Auburn), Georgia Tech (Vandy) and UCLA (Tennessee) are probably tougher than Florida State (UF).

I'll agree with the top four in this list, but I would shuffle the rest...except for the last one. Ole Miss really has a patsy schedule this year. If they don't win the SEC West their coach should be fired.
    Umm, non conference games don't count in the standings....

GM, I'm thinking he meant as far as matchups go. Florida should blow away FSU and everyone knows it. But can Tennessee beat UCLA? Can Auburn beat WVU? They didn't last year.

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

I think LSU's should be 11th. Especially after their weak schedule last year. It's sucks that 2 of the strongest SEC teams going into the season have such p*ssy OOC schedules. I like seeing our tops dogs show the country who is in charge.

Who would you vote the toughest OOC opponent on the SEC schedule?

Master Gunnery Sergeant MKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHTIDES View Post
    I think LSU's should be 11th. Especially after their weak schedule last year. It's sucks that 2 of the strongest SEC teams going into the season have such p*ssy OOC schedules.

Who would you vote the toughest OOC opponent on the SEC schedule?
    It's between the two Techs. I'm voting Ga Tech, simply because they play 3 different SEC teams, and could win them all.

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by MKAU View Post
    It's between the two Techs. I'm voting Ga Tech, simply because they play 3 different SEC teams, and could win them all.
    So you think Georgia Tech is a better team than Virginia Tech? I didn't mean who has a tougher schedule of all of them. I think G Tech COULD end up being better than V. Tech. VT will be higher ranked going into the season though. Oklahoma State may be ranked higher than them. That's gonna be a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHTIDES View Post
    So you think Georgia Tech is a better team than Virginia Tech? I didn't mean who has a tougher schedule of all of them. I think G Tech COULD end up being better than V. Tech. VT will be higher ranked going into the season though.
    I don't know. I said that on a combination of three things. First, I just like that triple option. Second, I'm a closet Techie. Third, I think Alabama is more likely to beat Va Tech than UGA is of beating Ga Tech, and I expect the other two teams that play Ga Tech will lose that game.

Am Yisrael Chai GatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorMan32 has a great deal of respect on the forums GatorMan32's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MKAU View Post
    Umm, non conference games don't count in the standings....

GM, I'm thinking he meant as far as matchups go. Florida should blow away FSU and everyone knows it. But can Tennessee beat UCLA? Can Auburn beat WVU? They didn't last year.
    i think Auburn can beat WVU. not real sure on UT. their OLine and QB play is still gonna be weak.

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

The good thing about opening at OK State, then home against USC, then at ARK, is that you will know what kind of team you have right away.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast