+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Auburn fans...

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

Auburn fans...

Have you guys heard anything about how much these coaches are being offered? I remember getting absolute hell from every Auburn fan I knew about how much we paid Saban (actually heard that from every fan base, ESPN, sports radio, etc). Now rumors are flying that Spurrier was offered 4 million or more. Is that right? I'd say you can't put a price on getting the right guy, but my hopes would be that a guy like Butch Davis would take the job for that much. That would be awesome for the SEC! Is that the range you guys are hearing?

Gunnery Sergeant Texaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forums Texaubie's Avatar

Re: Auburn fans...

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHTIDES View Post
    Have you guys heard anything about how much these coaches are being offered? I remember getting absolute hell from every Auburn fan I knew about how much we paid Saban (actually heard that from every fan base, ESPN, sports radio, etc). Now rumors are flying that Spurrier was offered 4 million or more. Is that right? I'd say you can't put a price on getting the right guy, but my hopes would be that a guy like Butch Davis would take the job for that much. That would be awesome for the SEC! Is that the range you guys are hearing?
    I personally believe the reason that Alabama caught hell from everyone is because it raised the standards in salaries for coaches in the NCAA ranks. As I have stated before, even before Saban, I believed them to be over payed. Mean we could go into the amount of programs that work at a loss and how this type of money makes competition harder across the NCAA because not many can match it.

Some just had fun with it to get under peoples skin. Alot of Alabama fans have said Tenn is the main rival or that Alabama doesn't care about the Auburn game. So it was fun to say your tossing out that amount of cash just to beat Auburn. Turned some people red and thats what they were looking for.

Auburn will toss that type of money around to get a head coach if the name is there.
    War Eagle/Hook 'Em

Captain rolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forums rolling baby's Avatar

I would hate for the Bama coach's sole criteria is to beat auburn. Contend for championships, put players in the NFL, and keep the program out of ncaa trouble. That's my criteria.

OU and UF raised the stakes when it came to coaching salaries, but they never caught the hell that Bama did. That $4 million is the result of a then weak dollar, limited available proven coaching pool, and the media downplaying the job (bahr bryant's shadow, crazy fans, yadda yadda yadda). Jimmy Sexton had all the leverage in the world.

Btw, Butch didn't take the UT job b/c he has it made at UNC. Win 8 games per year and he's good. Dude had a nervous breakdown when he was at Cleveland.
    "I am a true labourer: I earn that I eat, get
    that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's
    happiness, glad of other men's good"
    - Corin in Shakespeare's As You Like It

Master Sergeant HIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forumsHIGHTIDES has a great deal of respect on the forums

Hahaha. You should have slapped those bama fans in the face when they said Auburn didn't matter. I bet they'd turn right around now and say it's the biggest rivalry in the country.

Also, the only reason I bring up getting hell for it, is because I'm wondering if the fans would support the idea of paying so much. I can say from experience that it's worth every penny to get the right guy. Our football teams make A LOT of money. They can afford it. That and I'm really hoping you guys hit a homerun with the hire and I'm afraid you may have to pay up to do it. Unless you take a chance on a coordinator.

Captain rolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forumsrolling baby has a great deal of respect on the forums rolling baby's Avatar

Of course, they matter but Bama is more than just an iron bowl. I'll take a 10+win season/loss to auburn than a 8 win season/win over aubie.
    "I am a true labourer: I earn that I eat, get
    that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's
    happiness, glad of other men's good"
    - Corin in Shakespeare's As You Like It

Gunnery Sergeant Texaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexaubie has a great deal of respect on the forums Texaubie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHTIDES View Post
    Hahaha. You should have slapped those bama fans in the face when they said Auburn didn't matter. I bet they'd turn right around now and say it's the biggest rivalry in the country.

Also, the only reason I bring up getting hell for it, is because I'm wondering if the fans would support the idea of paying so much. I can say from experience that it's worth every penny to get the right guy. Our football teams make A LOT of money. They can afford it. That and I'm really hoping you guys hit a homerun with the hire and I'm afraid you may have to pay up to do it. Unless you take a chance on a coordinator.
    If the name is worth it they will. If not then they wont.

Take the Jimbo talks. Most don't think he is worth paying $5mill to buyout and then sign to whatever contract we give him if he were to take the job. I personally don't wanna pay $5 million to get him out of FSU.

Now paying Spurrier $4million, alot will say that's ok most will say.

Mean you are right that they do bring in alot of money to the universities, the problem is that a majority of what they bring in gets thrown right back into the athletic department. Expansions, scoreboards, decor and crap. Plus they support most of the other athletic programs that the university runs. Leat at schools like Alabama and Auburn. But really not that much goes into the academic side of the university.

And your right, Auburn and Alabama.. LSU UGA etc can afford it. But there are alot of schools across the nation that can barely pay for the field and equipment and operate at a loss every year.
    War Eagle/Hook 'Em

Sergeant TigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forumsTigerGlide has a great deal of respect on the forums TigerGlide's Avatar

I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but: LINK

Sergeant GatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these parts GatorFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TigerGlide View Post
    I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but: LINK
    No way that happens. Spurrier wouldn't want to go there.
    Florida Gators 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

(Courtesy of our very own HH)

Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
    No way that happens. Spurrier wouldn't want to go there.
    Why not? Lowder is off the board in a year.

The only reason I could see him coming to Auburn is that he is tired of going 7-5 and might think Auburn could provide him with a opportunity to make another run at a championship of some form.

Ya I know he is content, he doesn't want the pressure etc... that man is a competitor 100% and that craving for victory is always there in those types.

Plus Auburn would pretty much double what he is getting at USC, and we were ranked as the number one golf city in the nation by Golf Digest =P.
    War Eagle/Hook 'Em

+ Reply to Thread