+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Job advice?

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Job advice?

Ok, so I have an Associate of the Arts degree and currently working part-time for the City Of Owensboro. I only make $8.00 an hour, and there really isn't any upward mobility to this job. The only way I could move up would be for the full-time guy to leave; and even then I wouldn't automatically be promoted- I'd have to go through the whole interview process again. It doesn't really matter though since he isn't going anywhere. My original plan was to go back to school with this job- but I'm not so sure anymore with the economy.

I just found an add for the Paper Mill over in Hawesville. They are hiring entry-level production workers. Now, I probably wouldn't even get the job, but I'm torn over if I should even apply. I'm not sure what the pay would be, but it would undoubtedly be more that I'm making now; and being full-time it would have benefits.

Taking it would eliminate going back to school though. I just don't know if I should even take the time to go to the career center and apply for this job.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

Master Gunnery Sergeant UA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUA37 has a great deal of respect on the forums UA37's Avatar

Re: Job advice?

Personally, I'd definitely go back to school. You're way too young to give up on improving yourself and your education.

If you are going to take a job, make sure the experience will be valuable and could lead to a better job.

just my 2 pennies

Pop-a-Shot Record Holder weegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forumsweegeman has a great deal of respect on the forums weegeman's Avatar

I agree. Go back to school if you can.

Appreciate the wonderful life God has given you. It could be far far worse.

Bow Chicka Wow Wow Bacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forums Bacon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxvic View Post
    Ok, so I have an Associate of the Arts degree and currently working part-time for the City Of Owensboro. I only make $8.00 an hour, and there really isn't any upward mobility to this job. The only way I could move up would be for the full-time guy to leave; and even then I wouldn't automatically be promoted- I'd have to go through the whole interview process again. It doesn't really matter though since he isn't going anywhere. My original plan was to go back to school with this job- but I'm not so sure anymore with the economy.

I just found an add for the Paper Mill over in Hawesville. They are hiring entry-level production workers. Now, I probably wouldn't even get the job, but I'm torn over if I should even apply. I'm not sure what the pay would be, but it would undoubtedly be more that I'm making now; and being full-time it would have benefits.

Taking it would eliminate going back to school though. I just don't know if I should even take the time to go to the career center and apply for this job.
    Going back to school is one thing, but what do you really want to do with your life. I mean really?

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

You are young, so learn a trade in something that you enjoy, work hard, and then eventually start you own business in that trade skill. There will always be a demand for the skilled tradesmen. It is difficult to climb the corporate ladder unless you have personal mentors or corporate connections, so be your own boss if possible.

Bow Chicka Wow Wow Bacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forumsBacon has a great deal of respect on the forums Bacon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    You are young, so learn a trade in something that you enjoy, work hard, and then eventually start you own business in that trade skill. There will always be a demand for the skilled tradesmen. It is difficult to climb the corporate ladder unless you have personal mentors or corporate connections, so be your own boss if possible.
    True dat. Rep if I can...

God...Family...UK SkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forumsSkyAntoine has a great deal of respect on the forums SkyAntoine's Avatar

If everyone knew anything about Hawesville, then you would have been neg repped off the board.

We have two projects under construction in Owensboro and one in Henderson. If you were interested in going back to school, then we may need a part time laborer for a while. Can you pass a drug test?
    "They had it before you, they had it during you, they'll have it when you're gone"...." - Al McGuire on Kentucky Basketball Tradition
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moderator GR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forums GR8NESS's Avatar

Work at kroger lol

NOT!
    Kentucky 41 - Louisville 38.
    L's Down.

General georgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forumsgeorgiaguy31015 has a great deal of respect on the forums georgiaguy31015's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UA37 View Post
    Personally, I'd definitely go back to school. You're way too young to give up on improving yourself and your education.

If you are going to take a job, make sure the experience will be valuable and could lead to a better job.

just my 2 pennies
    Exactly.
    YOU MESS WITH THE BULL YOU GET THE HORNS!

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pigs in Zen View Post
    Going back to school is one thing, but what do you really want to do with your life. I mean really?
    I have no clue. Like really, no freaking clue at all. I like the job I have now. I run programmed jobs on an IBM mainframe, then print the reports and forms. Its really a cake job, which is why its so nice, it just doesn't pay well. What I really want to do with my life though? That is the problem. I planned on going back to school to get my CIS degree... but really I dunno what kind of a job I could get with that degree unless I moved. I've always thought something in electrical technology would be cool. Learn electronics repair, PLCs, that sort of hands on stuff. I guess there would be jobs around here in that too at the factories.

I think I could enjoy something like that... but then again I've never taken classes in that or anything- so I could end up hating it after the first day. To be honest I've never really knew what I wanted to do, because I've never really been good enough at anything to want to keep doing it.
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast