View Poll Results: Are bye weeks overrated?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I think it hurt especially if it's at a weird time in the season

2 8.00%
  • Nope. The bye is always a good thing. It helps you plan for your opponent and heal players.

23 92.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are bye weeks overrated??

Master Gunnery Sergeant GoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forums GoBigO's Avatar

Question Are bye weeks overrated??

IMO, I think they can be. Some teams respond well after the bye and some can come out sluggish. I know they can help heal bumps and bruises for your players and the coaches can have a little extra time to "prepare" but to me, I think it can also have a reverse effect and make your players focus too much on the opponent. What are your thoughts??...
    "I'm not going to sell this program and what we're about to do in a sound bite. It's impossible...I can tell you this, everything we do is going to be with a foundation of integrity in every aspect of the program. We're going to represent this institution with class, on and off the field, and we're going to be a fun team to watch." - Tennessee Head Football Coach Derek Dooley

1/10/10
    #16 Tennessee 76, #1 Kansas 68

Tuscaloosa - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy... - Obi Wan Kenobi

"Coach Kiffin cared about Tennessee traditions less than the worst Vol hater in the state in Alabama. That man's a snake."
    - Josh McNeil, Former Vols Lineman

One Hot Momma Gatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forumsGatorbabe has a great deal of respect on the forums Gatorbabe's Avatar

Re: Are bye weeks overrated??

Not in the SEC ... every team loves a bye week after playing one tough game after another.

Gunnery Sergeant DecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forumsDecaturDawg has a great deal of respect on the forums DecaturDawg's Avatar

I think they can be a blessing with the SEC gauntlet.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Coal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forumsCoal_UGA has a great deal of respect on the forums Coal_UGA's Avatar

I think a bye is big advantage, it does not mean you are going to win the game, you still have to make places, but I think they help out big time.

The only time I think a bye week hurts is if it happens during the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

Master Gunnery Sergeant GoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forumsGoBigO has a great deal of respect on the forums GoBigO's Avatar

Even though I voted no, I do agree there are advantages. However, I do think they are overrated in the sense that you could argue that they can hurt a team in several areas. i.e. more time for players to get out of focus with football and get in trouble. Cause players to over think an opponent and the psychology of dealing with teams on a week to week basis. I have heard players say to media before that if they are in a groove they hate to not get at it the next week but welcome it for rehab, etc. Like I said, it's not a question of is the bye week good. It's more like is it not as great as people claim it can be.
    "I'm not going to sell this program and what we're about to do in a sound bite. It's impossible...I can tell you this, everything we do is going to be with a foundation of integrity in every aspect of the program. We're going to represent this institution with class, on and off the field, and we're going to be a fun team to watch." - Tennessee Head Football Coach Derek Dooley

1/10/10
    #16 Tennessee 76, #1 Kansas 68

Tuscaloosa - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy... - Obi Wan Kenobi

"Coach Kiffin cared about Tennessee traditions less than the worst Vol hater in the state in Alabama. That man's a snake."
    - Josh McNeil, Former Vols Lineman

Master Gunnery Sergeant MKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKAU has a great deal of respect on the forums
    Unknown, but these padded walls are nice!

Every chance to give players a chance to heal players who have been playing wounded is appreciated.

The Mouth of the South GDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forums GDawg88's Avatar

The bye week is huge. Only in very rare cases can I see it not being an advantage.

faux real fodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forumsfodive has a great deal of respect on the forums fodive's Avatar

No, look at the back slide and the injuries we suffered this past season, playing in 11 straight games...and how much more competitive we were against Clemson.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Fatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forumsFatboy has a great deal of respect on the forums Fatboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigO View Post
    IMO, I think they can be. Some teams respond well after the bye and some can come out sluggish. I know they can help heal bumps and bruises for your players and the coaches can have a little extra time to "prepare" but to me, I think it can also have a reverse effect and make your players focus too much on the opponent. What are your thoughts??...
    You can never focus too much on your next opponent

Master Gunnery Sergeant IBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forumsIBCW has a great deal of respect on the forums IBCW's Avatar

Bye weeks are a big plus to a team IMO...and typically
    teams schedule them before opponents they REALLY want
    to beat......just ask Roy Kramer what team in Tennessee he
    always helped have a bye week before playing Bama.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast