+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lemon charged with felony battery

Sergeant DarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDarkOzzy87 has a great deal of respect on the forums DarkOzzy87's Avatar

Lemon charged with felony battery

ATHENS, Ga. -- Georgia defensive end Michael Lemon has been charged with a felony stemming from a fight last weekend that injured another Georgia student.

Police investigators took out warrants against the sophomore, charging him with both misdemeanor battery and felony aggravated battery.

Demarius Jackson, 20, of Albany, told police that Lemon sucker-punched him at a cookout Saturday night at an apartment complex.

The 20-year-old Lemon, a 6-foot-4, 274-pounder, accused Jackson of talking to his girlfriend, according to Jackson and witnesses.

The police report said Lemon punched Jackson about five times before he was pulled off.

Jackson sustained a fracture in his left eye socket, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. He told the newspaper that his left eye is still swollen, the left side of his face is numb and that he occasionally spits up blood. "It still hurts pretty bad," he said.

A conviction on an aggravated battery charges carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.

"I'm relieved something finally is being done," Jackson told the Athens Banner-Herald. "It's taken four days, but the warrant was definitely a step in the right direction."

Sergeant GatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these partsGatorFan is infamous around these parts GatorFan's Avatar

Re: Lemon charged with felony battery

If I was a betting man, I would think about betting that Jackson started it and Lemon is history.
    Florida Gators 2008 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

(Courtesy of our very own HH)

Gunnery Sergeant SEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproachSEC:propertyofLSU has a reputation above reproach SEC:propertyofLSU's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
    If I was a betting man, I would think about betting that Jackson started it and Lemon is history.
    I don't know about the first part but yeah...sounds like Lemon is gone...

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

The worst part is that Lemon made the news last year. His mother was murdered by her boyfriend. I think he has a younger brother.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

Dumbass. See ya.

Gunnery Sergeant orange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forumsorange&white has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    The worst part is that Lemon made the news last year. His mother was murdered by her boyfriend. I think he has a younger brother.
    That's terrible. I'm sure he has had a lot of trouble with that and now he is going to get kicked off the team. somebody definitely needs help this guy before he goes down a bad, bad path.

Gunnery Sergeant IveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forums IveyLeaguer's Avatar

Georgia Re: Lemon charged with felony battery

Quote Originally Posted by fodive
    I thought Ivey said there were no thugs on this team.
    That's not what I said.

Demarius Jackson, 20, of Albany, told police that Lemon sucker-punched him at a cookout Saturday night at an apartment complex. The 20-year-old Lemon, a 6-foot-4, 274-pounder, accused Jackson of talking to his girlfriend, according to Jackson and witnesses. The police report said Lemon punched Jackson about five times before he was pulled off.
    Lemon should be kicked off the team immediately.

Lemon's mother was murdered last year and he has a little brother he takes care of, or at least has some responsibility over. I don't think he should be tossed to the wolves, AFAIK this is first time in trouble, but this is serious.

With kids he doesn't want to completely give up on, Richt usually kicks them off the team and sends them down to Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, a military junior college that plays football. And if the player walks a straight line and does everything asked of him (which is a lot), he can come back to Georgia or go somewhere else.

Hopefully, his legal problems will not prevent him from enrolling in another school right away because he apparently has nowhere else to go, although Georgia people donated $70,000 under the NCAA's supervision last year to help support himself and his brother. How much is left and the details, I don't know, so it gets complicated. But he punched a guy out for no obvious reason in front of many witnesses, and his legal problems are very serious from what I understand. So that may not be an option. He may well end up in prison.

The other incident involving the 2 OL is apparently frivolous. Several players have said, this week, that there are no thugs or criminals on the team. But Lemon's actions are thuggish behavior in just about anybody's book. I don't want any thugs on the team, regardless of who they are. Lemon had a great opportunity to play a lot this year, and even win a starting spot. But he's blown that.

I don't know how Richt will handle it. But I know he'll do the right thing, and I know he'll do what's best for the program and for Lemon. He always does.

Staff Sergeant ConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forumsConwayGamecock has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by fodive View Post
    I thought Ivey said there were no thugs on this team
    Quote Originally Posted by IveyLeaguer View Post
    That's not what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by IveyLeaguer View Post
    Whatever it was, it sounds like it's now under control. Hopefully, it won't be too bad. Moreno is a good kid, everybody agrees on that. He is not a thug. In fact, there are no thugs on Georgia's team, as some have hinted in another thread, if there were I would say so.

But, worst case, if Knowshon has to go for the sake of the team, then I'm for that.

Corporal UGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forumsUGAdawg17 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Updated

UGA suspends Lemon after felony arrest
    School policy results in indefinite suspension pending an investigation

By CHIP TOWERS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 07/03/08

Athens - Georgia defensive lineman Michael Lemon was suspended indefinitely from the football team Thursday afternoon after turning himself into authorities Thursday morning, the school announced.

Also, starting offensive guard Clint Boling, who had been arrested for DUI back in the spring, was suspended for two games Thursday, according to an announcement by coach Mark Richt, and charges were dropped against defensive end Jeremy Lomax, who was cited last month for carrying a concealed weapon.

Lemon, a redshirt sophomore from Lizella, near Macon, was wanted on two battery charges - one of which was a felony - in connection with a fight that occurred at an Athens apartment complex Saturday night. UGA student DeMarius Jackson suffered a fracture of his left eye socket as a result of punches he claims he took from Lemon.

A felony warrant for Lemon's arrest was issued by the Athens-Clarke County district attorney's office late Wednesday afternoon. Lemon turned himself in at the Athens-Clarke County Jail at 10:24 a.m. Thursday morning. He was released 38 minutes later after posting a $2,500 bond.

Georgia athletics association spokesman Claude Felton said that Lemon's indefinite suspension "was an automatic thing" in keeping with athletics department policy. Any athlete charged with a felony offense is suspended "immediately and indefinitely" from team participation until an internal investigation is completed.

Richt could not be reached for comment on the Lemon case. He was at Fort Stewart on Thursday welcoming back U.S. troops from overseas duties. However, he issued a statement through the sports communications office.

"I'm certainly disappointed in a few of our players who have made poor decisions during the off season," Richt said. "It is of great concern, and we take it very seriously. They will be dealt with accordingly and will pay a price. Each one will be disciplined based on the severity of their actions."

Lemon was the seventh Georgia football to be arrested by police since the end of last season. In addition to Boling and Lomax, other Bulldogs arrested this year include offensive guard Justin Anderson (simple battery), defensive back Donovan Baldwin (DUI), fullback Fred Munzenmaier (underage possession), and offensive tackle Trinton Sturdivant (simple battery). The cases of Anderson and Sturdivant are ongoing.

Richt indicated in the news release he does not believe his 2008 team, ranked No. 1 in some preseason polls, has a discipline problem. He cited the team's 3.23 combined grade-point average in the previous semester and their volunteer work with children and charities.

"I'm extremely excited about what the vast majority of our team has been doing on a daily basis this summer," Richt said. "They're working hard in the classroom, and there's certainly a buzz from our veteran players as to the work ethic and effort they've seen in their weightlifting, running and position workouts. Virtually every one of our players is giving back to the community this summer."

Gunnery Sergeant IveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forumsIveyLeaguer has a great deal of respect on the forums IveyLeaguer's Avatar

Georgia Re: Lemon charged with felony battery

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    If you read enough of my posts about the Georgia program you would have known the context, which was I didn't believe there were any thugs on Georgia's team, if there were I would probably know, and that I would say so if I knew of any. Any honest reading of the original thread alone clearly reveals that.

But never mind what I really was trying to say. I'll take responsibility for being careless in the post by not qualifying the statement, as I always do in those situations, and leaving it open for someone to cherry pick it out and obscure the true context. Nevertheless, it's not important enough to refute here, and anybody that wants to see the context I was speaking in can research it for themselves. I'll not drag everybody through it all.

I've said many times over the years that I welcome being corrected if I'm wrong. About anything. It's only happened once or twice, not counting this one, and one other time I started a thread in order to retract something I said before the season about Stafford and some other player (Coutu, I think) when it turned out to be not exactly right at the end of the season.

So I'll stand corrected, Conway. And the enthusiasm exhibited in your participation is noted.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast