+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do we put Saban ahead of Bear Bryant now?

Sergeant ALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Do we put Saban ahead of Bear Bryant now?

Quote Originally Posted by ugabrad View Post
    I submit that Saban's body of work is more impressive. Bear Bryant won in an era of huge rosters, when he could stockpile the good players so that his opponents couldn't get them. Saban has had to do it in an era of scholarship limits, allowing his opponents a better crack at signing the good players.
    Get so sick of hearing this crap. Coach Bryant never coached in the SEC without being under scholarship limits. Even if so, the limits or non-limits are the same for everyone including him.

"Bobby Dodd insisted there was no other reason he left the SEC, other than the 140 Rule. The 140 Rule stated a college program could only have 140 football and basketball players on scholarship at any one time. The teams were allowed to sign up to 45 players a year, but could not exceed the 140 Rule."

http://cecilbuffington.com/catalog_40.html

Sergeant ALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forumsALA2262 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    LOL! UK beating Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl was the equivalent of UCF beating Auburn in the Peach Bowl. You don't give them a NC for doing so. 1950 Kentucky played 4 (FOUR!) non-1A teams and lost to the only team (Tennessee) they played in the regular season with a winning record.

1950-Kentucky (SEC)

9/16 vs. North Texas (non-IA) W 25 0
    9/23 vs. *Louisiana State (4-5-2) W 14 0
    9/30 vs. *Mississippi (5-5) W 27 0
    10/7 vs. Dayton (non-IA) W 40 0
    10/14 vs. Cincinnati (non-IA) W 41 7
    10/21 vs. Villanova (4-5) W 34 7 @ Philadelphia, PA
    10/28 @ *Georgia Tech (5-6) W 28 14
    11/4 vs. *Florida (5-5) W 40 6
    11/11 @ *Mississippi State (4-5) W 48 21
    11/18 vs. North Dakota (non-IA) W 83 0
    11/25 @ *Tennessee (11-1) L 0 7
    1/1 vs. Oklahoma (10-1) W 13 7 @ New Orleans, LA Sugar Bowl

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Sagarin gave it to The Bear. So I count it.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

So the way it comes down is the Bama people love are rever the Bear so much that he is the greatest coach.

While the rest of us whose teams play Saban think he is the better coach.

This is funny.

I remember the 76 UGA-Bama game where we beat Bama and the Bear in Sanford. For us it was huge. I thought Bama was ranked higher coming in but Bama was listed at #10 and we were listed as #6. The QB for that game for Georgia was Ray Goff.
    He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    So the way it comes down is the Bama people love are rever the Bear so much that he is the greatest coach.

This is funny.

I remember the 76 UGA-Bama game where we beat Bama and the Bear in Sanford. For us it was huge. I thought Bama was ranked higher coming in but Bama was listed at #10 and we were listed as #6. The QB for that game for Georgia was Ray Goff.
    That game was 21-0.
    My favorite was my first day at UGA, 18-17. Fortunately no Big Ten refs were there.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    That game was 21-0.
    My favorite was my first day at UGA, 18-17. Fortunately no Big Ten refs were there.
    Yep, the winning TD play would have been blown dead when the receiver, while on his knees, pitched the ball back to the trailing back. Good ole SEC refs!

2:08 mark of link
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbHbq9cZN2w

This is funny.

Yeah, Bama did a sleepwalk in that game and rightfully so. Coach Bryant made a huge mistake and had the team in an Athens hotel the night before the game. My nephew, who was an UGA student then, still brags about how he and dozens of his pals drove around the hotel all night blowing their horns. Had a friend who was on the Bama team tell me the Bama players dragged their mattresses out into the halls in an attempt to sleep. All to no avail.

Master Gunnery Sergeant Cuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forumsCuz has a great deal of respect on the forums Cuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post
    Yeah, Bama did a sleepwalk in that game and rightfully so. Coach Bryant made a huge mistake and had the team in an Athens hotel the night before the game. My nephew, who was an UGA student then, still brags about how he and dozens of his pals drove around the hotel all night blowing their horns. Had a friend who was on the Bama team tell me the Bama players dragged their mattresses out into the halls in an attempt to sleep. All to no avail.
    Well at least it wasn't the refs fault. I thought St. Bear did not make mistakes.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Well at least it wasn't the refs fault. I thought St. Bear did not make mistakes.
    No. Coach Bryant made mistakes. That’s why he only had seven Mythical National Championships.

Thumbup Re: Do we put Saban ahead of Bear Bryant now?

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    No. Coach Bryant made mistakes. That’s why he only had seven Mythical National Championships.
    Damn, that was good. Rep for this post.
    Winston Churchill
    Cuz =/= thug.
    Brummett_for_UK
    All that we see or seem

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast