+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: UGA vs OU

Hybrid View

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

UGA vs OU

The two teams that brought us games on TV

PFF's Grades, UGA's offense vs OU's defense

A PFF staff of 300-plus review game film of every single team and player. The grades assigned to players are simple. Much like in academics, players are awarded grades between 0 to 100.

A grade of 85 or higher is an NFL-caliber rating, while a grade of 80 to 84 is considered “very good.” Below average grades range from 50-60. The number in parentheses is the national position rank for that category.

Georgia's Offense

Pos Player Snaps Overall Pass/Rec Pass Block Rush Run Block
    STARTERS
    QB Jake Fromm
    775 79.0 (68) 78.5 (61) 60.0 (1) 70.8 (-) 60.0 (1)
    RB Nick Chubb
    304 88.2 (7) 67.6(-) 64.8 (-) 88.6 (4) 60.0 (-)
    LT Isaiah Wynn 760 87.2 (15) - 83.0 (89) - 89.9 (2)
    LG Kendall Baker 742 80.1 (83) - 78.5 (139) - 80.0 (54)
    C Lamont Gaillard
    774 85.0 (8) - 84.0 (21) - 82.3 (10)
    RG Ben Cleveland
    218 74.3 (-) - 70.7 (-) - 77.4 (-)
    RT Andrew Thomas 774 79.7 (105) - 82.9 (92) - 71.9 (150)
    TE Isaac Nauta
    323 73.3 (75) 66.1 (69) 72.3 (-) - 71.6 (54)
    WR Javon Wims 626 82.5 (52) 82.1 (57) - - 64.4 (180)
    WR Terry Godwin 554 78.4 (123) 78.6 (111) - - 53.7 (361)
    WR Riley Ridley 316 51.9 (422) 51.8 (-) - 60.0 (-) 53.3 (370)
    NEXT MAN UP
    OL Solomon Kindley 514 75.3 (141) - 71.1 (-) - 77.3 (84)
    RB Sony Michel 280 82.3 (26) 67.1 (74) 73.5 (-) 82.2 (26) 60.0 (-)
    RESERVES
    TE Jeb Blazevich
    298 68.0 (104) 55.6 (-) 63.4 (-) - 69.8 (69)
    TE Charlie Woerner
    282 63.7 (119) 49.3 (-) 50.3 (-) - 73.7 (37)
    WR Mecole Hardman Jr. 249 71.2 (-) 71.7 (-) - 60.0 (-) 58.3 (-)
    RB D'Andre Swift 188 81.3 (-) 78.8 (-) 65.2 (-) 79.2 (-) 60.0 (-)
    Oklahoma's Defense
    Pos Player Snaps Overall Run Def Pass Rush Cov
    STARTERS
    DL DJ Ward 676 64.0 (382) 69.9 (387) 48.9 (361) 61.6 (-)
    DL Neville Gallimore
    354 72.8 (267) 73.3 (263) 67.9 (246) -
    DL Marquise Overton 417 76.1 (184) 80.3 (81) 47.9 (384) -
    ED Ogbonnia Okoronkwo 819 86.3 (17) 86.5 (10) 81.8 (27) 74.7 (38)
    LB Emmanuel Beal
    850 79.3 (139) 70.2 (226) 60.6 (-) 83.6 (45)
    LB Kenneth Murray
    811 46.7 (340) 45.1 (315) 67.6 (-) 55.0 (281)
    LB Caleb Kelly 658 83.8 (62) 79.7 (94) 60.5 (95) 83.9 (41)
    CB Parnell Motley
    753 84.5 (43) 73.8 (152) 62.3 (-) 84.0 (47)
    CB Jordan Thomas 603 40.4 (457) 73.7 (155) 59.0 (-) 40.3 (450)
    S Will Johnson 599 82.6 (52) 77.8 (117) 62.8 (-) 83.2 (30)
    S Steven Parker 819 83.1 (44) 78.8 (99) 56.3 (-) 83.0 (33)
    NEXT MAN UP
    CB Tre Norwood 360 71.6 (257) 64.6 (273) 63.6 (-) 70.7 (268)
    S Kahlil Haughton 357 75.1 (179) 68.4 (207) - 75.4 (141)
    ED Amani Bledsoe 312 74.7 (152) 81.7 (48) 52.3 (214) -
    RESERVES
    ED Kenneth Mann
    295 76.2 (126) 77.2 (-) 72.0 (120) 54.0 (-)
    CB Chanse Sylvie
    284 73.5 (230) 73.3 (-) 57.8 (-) 72.8 (238)
    DL Du'Vonta Lampkin 241 77.0 (160) 80.3 (81) 57.6 (292) -
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Moderator ECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: UGA vs OU

I like our chances.....

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

My thoughts, from another thread:

I think third down will be the key. Can UGA keep drives going with short third down conversions while not having to ask Fromm to convert multiple third and longs and can UGA get off the field on third down on defense are the two biggest questions IMO. If UGA can force Baker into third and long, get pressure without blitzing and allow the linebackers to roam, they should have success. Follow the Iowa State formula, run the ball, convert third down and get off the field on defense. Some teams like Oklahoma can win without converting a lot of third downs, but if UGA can score enough to make OU have to convert multiple third downs on the same drive and not lose by simply allowing 3-4 big plays, they will win.

OU will likely get 3-4 big plays on anyone regardless of defense simply bc of the offensive talent and scheme. Their OL is also very good and their run game is much better than people give credit, without the ability to run and not allowing a lot of free blitzers their offense could be stopped easily. But when you can run the ball to go along with that dynamic passing attack, you can't be stopped, only contained.

I believe Smart will shy away from man to man coverage and move Carter around. Orlando Brown, the LT, is very good and probably top NFL OL prospect. Carter's an extremely atheltic and fast pass rusher but for his size Brown moves very well. Move Carter around (which Smart does very well anyway) and play zones with those fast LBs. It'll allow more completions but fewer chunk plays that happen in man coverage with a mobile QB, either scrambling or busted plays when a WR gets loose deep.

The biggest key no one seems to be discussing is the OU TE. Maybe the best in the country, he excels at finding openings and beating linebackers in coverage. The UGA LBs are very versatile and fast, so maybe they can negate his ability. He will be the player Mayfield looks to on big third downs. Don't be afraid to use a bigger safety on him on third down. I believe the UGA DBs can mostly cover the OU WRs who aren't quite as dynamic this year without Dede Westbrook. But the TE and the RBs out of the backfield are weapons that kill teams by keeping drives alive.

On offense, I think it's as simple as you said: control LOS, run the ball. Shorten the game, limit possessions, don't make your QB have to make a lot of big throws on third and long. I really like the UGA WRs and TEs in all areas except their hands lol, despite the most impressive catch I've seen all year was by UGA WR Terry Godwin. I've seen Hardman, Godwin and Wims drop some big catches. But, all of the WRs plus Michel have the ability to beat OU defenders one on one and score on a PA pass or a bomb on second and short. The run game opens up everything, loosens coverage and allows for more attacking passes to be called instead of just throwing to convert third downs.

If it's a 30-point or less game, I think UGA wins. If it's more than 35 points, OU wins.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

I think Roquan Smith will spy Mayfield. I don't think he will hurt us with his legs. If he tries, he will receive pain. I don't think OU is big on 10 play drives. They score in a hurry. If we make them convert a bunch of third downs, we will be in good shape.
    UGA doesn't have great sack stats. This is because we have played a lot of dual threat QBs. We were staying in the lanes to prevent QB runs.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    I think Roquan Smith will spy Mayfield. I don't think he will hurt us with his legs. If he tries, he will receive pain. I don't think OU is big on 10 play drives. They score in a hurry. If we make them convert a bunch of third downs, we will be in good shape.
    UGA doesn't have great sack stats. This is because we have played a lot of dual threat QBs. We were staying in the lanes to prevent QB runs.
    How do you believe UGA will scheme against a very good TE? Will they use a speedy LB to cover him (which could allow more lanes for Mayfield to run) or will they go zone and use a safety?

Mayfield running for yardage shouldn't scare UGA, it's his ability to throw downfield on the move. He does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield while scrambling, allowing his WRs to sneak open against DBs asked to cover for longer periods. UGA will have to make Mayfield stay in the pocket and throw the ball with a rhythm and not allow him out of the pocket to roam and throw downfield.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Man View Post
    How do you believe UGA will scheme against a very good TE? Will they use a speedy LB to cover him (which could allow more lanes for Mayfield to run) or will they go zone and use a safety?

Mayfield running for yardage shouldn't scare UGA, it's his ability to throw downfield on the move. He does a great job of keeping his eyes downfield while scrambling, allowing his WRs to sneak open against DBs asked to cover for longer periods. UGA will have to make Mayfield stay in the pocket and throw the ball with a rhythm and not allow him out of the pocket to roam and throw downfield.
    Hopefully better than they did with South Carolina's, who led the Gamecocks with 7 catches for 93 yards...

I also agree that Mayfield isn't really a running threat and that you need to keep him in the pocket - because of his playground throwing ability when the original play breaks down.

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Hopefully better than they did with South Carolina's, who led the Gamecocks with 7 catches for 93 yards...

I also agree that Mayfield isn't really a running threat and that you need to keep him in the pocket - because of his playground throwing ability when the original play breaks down.
    Guys that have played against him said if he rolls to the right you are dead. That's when he's most dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Man View Post

I would put Carter on him. I think he is faster than the TE, and is 6'-6", 245#.
    Deo Vindice

Peggy Noonan

Franz Kafka

Master Gunnery Sergeant ugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    I would put Carter on him. I think he is faster than the TE, and is 6'-6", 245#.
    Lorenzo is our #1 pass rusher though, so isn't that making a choice between harrying Mayfield and covering his favorite target?
    Go Dawgs!

Quote Originally Posted by ugabrad View Post
    Lorenzo is our #1 pass rusher though, so isn't that making a choice between harrying Mayfield and covering his favorite target?
    Yes..
    Deo Vindice

Peggy Noonan

Franz Kafka

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast