+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The History of Confederate Monuments.

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

The History of Confederate Monuments.

We talk to James Loewen, Emeritus Professor of Sociology at the University of Vermont. He worked with a commission studying Confederate monuments in Baltimore. He is the author of such books as Lies My Teacher Told Me, Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong and the Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader.

https://kpfa.org/player/?audio=266651

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Re: The History of Confederate Monuments.

I would respond, but I don't feed trolls.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    I would respond, but I don't feed trolls.
    I understand you think it was about high ideals like "state's rights" and such. The left thinks it was about the Southern elite's economic interests as is often the case in these matters.

You show me an example in history were an elite group put high ideals above their economic interests and I would be more likely to agree with you. I don't see a lot of that in history though. That doesn't happen much.

It is hard to get somebody to fight, die and kill for some privileged person's bank account. They always appeal to high ideals. They have to. The common people will not do stuff like that for low reasons. Nobody is going to risk their neck for that.

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Hog Dude View Post
    I understand you think it was about high ideals like "state's rights" and such. The left thinks it was about the Southern elite's economic interests as is often the case in these matters.

You show me an example in history were an elite group put high ideals above their economic interests and I would be more likely to agree with you. I don't see a lot of that in history though. That doesn't happen much.

It is hard to get somebody to fight, die and kill for some privileged person's bank account. They always appeal to high ideals. They have to. The common people will not do stuff like that for low reasons. Nobody is going to risk their neck for that.
    There was little economic incentive for President Reagan to order the invasion of Grenada, or for the British to fight the Falklands War.

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    There was little economic incentive for President Reagan to order the invasion of Grenada, or for the British to fight the Falklands War.
    Are you sure about that?

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Are you sure about that?
    Yes...

Do wealthy Americans have any investments in the region? Why has there been an embargo on Cuba for nearly sixty years?
    Neither Grenada nor the Falklands have any oil production, in fact as I recall, the Falklands had mostly sheep on the islands during the Falklands War, and the British were actually considering giving the Islands to Argentina before they were invaded. Grenada is just a sleepy little island nation. Nothing to shed any American blood over.

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    Neither Grenada nor the Falklands have any oil production, in fact as I recall, the Falklands had mostly sheep on the islands during the Falklands War, and the British were actually considering giving the Islands to Argentina before they were invaded. Grenada is just a sleepy little island nation. Nothing to shed any American blood over.
    That is right but perhaps the US government was sending a message to the other countries down there lest they get any funny ideas about who is really in charge.

In regards to the Falklands, I am sure old Thatcher was just trying to please the sort of folks that vote for Tories more than anything else.

That is right but perhaps the US government was sending a message to the other countries down there lest they get any funny ideas about who is really in charge.

In regards to the Falklands, I am sure old Thatcher was just trying to please the sort of folks that vote for Tories more than anything else.
    Undoubtedly there were political reasons, but nothing of any economic consequence to fight over. That was the point that I was trying to make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast