+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football Rules & Interpretations

Gunnery Sergeant lbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Football Rules & Interpretations

I know this a question of judgement, but why are RB's and pulling guards not called every time they move before the ball is snapped. Georgia tech's RB is starting to move forward before every snap, I thought a RB could only go in motion side to side.

AB, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I almost lost mine this summer, he was in ICU at the VA hospital for 3 weeks.

Staff Sergeant AlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forums AlienBeans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
    I know this a question of judgement, but why are RB's and pulling guards not called every time they move before the ball is snapped. Georgia tech's RB is starting to move forward before every snap, I thought a RB could only go in motion side to side.

AB, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I almost lost mine this summer, he was in ICU at the VA hospital for 3 weeks.
    I dont see pulling guards moving early very often and I watch a lot of football film. As far as the running back goes, he can move parallel or away from the line of scrimmage. If the guard does move early its a false start. Rb moving could be illegal motion, illegal ahift or a false start depending on the actions of the other 10 players in the formation.

Thanks for the kind words too. Sorry to hear of your loss as well. My dad went to hospital on may 31 and passed june 3 at 815am. It would have been very hard on my mom to have him hanging on for weeks or months. We were both relieved it was a quick thing. He didnt want to be on any machines.

Staff Sergeant AlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forumsAlienBeans has a great deal of respect on the forums AlienBeans's Avatar

Here's something that most probably don't know is in the rule book. It's call MOMENTUM [high school] and IMPETUS [college]. So, let me put a play together to illustrate how this is applied.

Down and Distance doesn't matter here but for sake of discussion, let's set it all up. Offense with the ball 3rd and 8 from their opponents 20 yard line. QB throws down the field where the defense going back into coverage intercepts the pass at his own 4 yard line. While completing the catch, his momentum/Impetus takes him into the endzone where he either goes down or is tackled there. So, in this scenario, where do you spot the ball? We all know its an interception but where does the Intercepting team start their possession?

Answer: Momentum/Impetus applies to Interceptions/Kicks/Fumbles where the defensive team or receiving team acquires possession in the field of play from the 5 yard line to the goal line and his momentum to complete the catch, takes him into the endzone. When the defensive team/receiving team acquires possession anywhere from their own 5 to their own goal line AND his momentum takes him into the endzone, the ball is returned to the spot of the catch. In the situation above, the defense retains possession and will start their series at the 4 yard line, 1st and 10.

Now, take the momentum aspect out of it for a minute. If the defensive player makes the catch at the 4 yard line and moves left to right to avoid a tackle, then he is on his own. If he retreats into the endzone to avoid the tackle, and is tackled there, its a safety. Why? Because he went his on his own volition. The momentum from making the catch didn't cause him to go into the endzone. These will NEVER be touchbacks. They will either return to the spot where possession was established or its a safety.

What if he catches it at the 6 yard line and his momentum takes him into the endzone? SAFETY. Momentum/Impetus applies from the 5 yard line to the goal line.

The rule is enforced the same way for Scrimmage kicks [punts]. If the receiving team catches it inside the 5 yard line AND his momentum takes him into the endzone where he is downed or tackled, the ball returns to the spot of the catch, 1st and 10.

Every single week my opinion of announcers and their lack of knowledge when it comes to rules, gets confirmed. Just a few minutes ago, Cal/USC, Greg McElroy is the latest. Down and distance don't matter. Offensive play to the right side. Tackle on the left side delays a second and moves to the right and blocks the defender low at the back of the legs. Officials correctly throw the flag and correctly make the call. Personal Foul, Clipping. Replay, McElroy said he has to be engaged with another blocker and he doesn't agree with the call there. What McElroy exposed was his complete ignorance of the rules and not having any idea what the difference is between a clip and a chop block.

SECTION 5. Clipping
    ARTICLE 1. a. Clipping is a block against an opponent in which the force
    of the initial contact is from behind and at or below the waist (Rule 9-1-5).
    b. The position of the blocker’s head or feet does not necessarily indicate
    the point of initial contact.

text book example of what happened during the play not one mention above about a high/low combination block.

What he said needed to be in place to be a penalty.

Chop Block
    ARTICLE 3. A chop block is a high-low or low-high combination block
    by any two players against an opponent (not the ball carrier) anywhere on
    the field, with or without a delay between blocks; the “low” component is
    at the opponent’s thigh or below. (A.R. 9-1-10-I-IV). It is not a foul if the
    blockers’ opponent initiates the contact. (A.R. 9-1-10-V)

So, I repeat. Never listed to announcers when it comes to rule interpretations.

Just happened. Vanderbilt vs. Florida. Vanderbilt QB back to pass, scrambles under heavy pressure. On the opposite side of the formation behind the QB, a Florida player loses his helmet. He continues to pursue the QB and assists his teammate in making the tackle for a loss. The other Florida player that made the tackle, grabs the QB facemask. So, we have TWO penalties here. 1. Facemask - 15 yards [this one was declined], 2. Personal Foul [participating without helmet] - 15 yards. Once a player loses his helmet he MUST stop participating in the play. If he continues to participate its a 15 yard penalty.

Continued Participation Without Helmet
    ARTICLE 17. A player whose helmet comes completely off during a down
    may not continue to participate beyond the immediate action in which he
    is engaged, whether or not he puts the helmet back on during the down.
    (A.R. 9-1-17-I)

Gunnery Sergeant lbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forumslbzdually has a great deal of respect on the forums

I watched this last night at a Georgia high football game. Ball is throw to the goal line, WR bobbles the ball and gains control, but takes no steps, falling into the endzone. As soon as he hit the ground the ball came out. It was ruled a TD. I thought the receiver had to have control all the way to the ground for it to count since he did not take any steps with the ball under control before crossing the goal line.

Quote Originally Posted by lbzdually View Post
    I watched this last night at a Georgia high football game. Ball is throw to the goal line, WR bobbles the ball and gains control, but takes no steps, falling into the endzone. As soon as he hit the ground the ball came out. It was ruled a TD. I thought the receiver had to have control all the way to the ground for it to count since he did not take any steps with the ball under control before crossing the goal line.
    You said he gained control then fell into the endzone. Once he broke the plane of the goal line with possession (control), the play is dead, its a touchdown. Him going to the ground and losing the ball is immaterial. The score has already happened.

New play. Major props to the replay official in the Ole Miss / Texas A&M game. The replay official just stopped the game to review a potential targeting foul. The curious thing to me about the play is when the Referee announced the penalty after replay confirmed it, he announced it as a blind side block and gave no official signal, just stood there and called it a blind side block and that #28 is ejected. The part that stands out to me is that he called it a blind side block and not targeting. The NCAA doesn't have a rule in place for a blind side block. There is a blind side block penalty in high school that started this year, but Blind side block is legal [as of now] in the NCAA. There is a penalty for an unnecessary hit and for a defenseless player, but not a blind side block. What he should have said was Personal Foul, targeting. That would be a penalty for a blind side block in high school, but that was targeting under ncaa rules. Under high school rules a blind side block does not carry an ejection. Very poor explanation by the Referee on that call. Call was right, the explanation of it was way wrong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123