+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Majority of Republicans believe education has a negative impact on the country.

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

Majority of Republicans believe education has a negative impact on the country.

pew research.

A majority of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (58%) now say that colleges and universities have a negative effect on the country, up from 45% last year. By contrast, most Democrats and Democratic leaners (72%) say colleges and universities have a positive effect, which is little changed from recent years....

Among Republicans, there is an ideological gap in views of the impact of colleges and universities and other institutions: Nearly two-thirds of conservative Republicans (65%) say colleges are having a negative impact, compared with just 43% of moderate and liberal Republicans....

Over the past two years, the share of Republicans and Republican leaners who view the impact of colleges and universities positively has declined 18 percentage points (from 54% to 36%), and this shift in opinion has occurred across most demographic and ideological groups within the GOP....

Among Republicans and Republican leaners, younger adults have much more positive views of colleges and universities than older adults. About half (52%) of Republicans ages 18 to 29 say colleges and universities have a positive impact on the country, compared with just 27% of those 65 and older. By contrast, there are no significant differences in views among Democrats by age, with comparable majorities of all age groups saying colleges and universities have a positive impact....
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2007 - Year of the Oil Baron
    2008 - Year of the Fab Five
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Quote Originally Posted by USC90
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

Master Gunnery Sergeant FreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forums FreddieMac's Avatar

Re: Majority of Republicans believe education has a negative impact on the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    I would tend to agree in some aspects with the assertion. As a member of the academy, I can tell you there is no balance here, it is all liberal. Liberals are the only one that get tenure. Their philosophies are presented as correct. Most of the PHD work involved my professors explaining to me how America was bad. It is all critical race theory and anti-colonialism blah blah blah. The academy is not as open minded as it purports to be. We do not teach practical skills in higher education and not every student should get a "college" degree.

I would suggest that we need a more refined educational system in the US. One that does not only focus on higher education and introduces skilled labor and trades. We as a society need to start viewing a Master Carpenter the same as a PHD, because intellectually, there is no difference. So I can see how people view higher education now, it is much more expensive and it produces less useful people.
    I have made my peace with Les Miles, I want him to stay. Go away Michigan. It is is not the 11 games winning seasons or the Yoda like press conferences. He eats grass and knows Tiger Stadium grass taste best! That is a special brand of crazy I want to see of years to come! GEAUX TIGERS!

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Re: Majority of Republicans believe education has a negative impact on the country.

We as a society need to start viewing a Master Carpenter the same as a PHD, because intellectually, there is no difference.
    Depends upon the PhD. I think this is an extremely poor way to make your point.

Master Gunnery Sergeant FreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forumsFreddieMac has a great deal of respect on the forums FreddieMac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Depends upon the PhD. I think this is an extremely poor way to make your point.

In what respect? Both distinctions simply represent the height of their respective fields. But, our society puts a higher value on the PHD because there is this belief there is more learning involved.

Look at it differently. In their respective fields, there is no difference between a PHD in molecular biology and Drew Brees in American Football. Both have so refined their skills and learning they are basically the height of their profession. The idea is that a person reaches expertise when they know a whole lot about a little. It is the same process to refine one's mind. Does not matter if it is didactic information or practical skills.
    I have made my peace with Les Miles, I want him to stay. Go away Michigan. It is is not the 11 games winning seasons or the Yoda like press conferences. He eats grass and knows Tiger Stadium grass taste best! That is a special brand of crazy I want to see of years to come! GEAUX TIGERS!

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Your use of intellectually is the poor choice of phrasing. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Your use of intellectually is the poor choice of phrasing. That is all.
    intellectually |ˈˌin(t)əlˈˌek(t)SH(əw)əlē|
    adverb
    in a way that relates to the intellect: intellectually stimulating conversation | many of us have grown intellectually.
    I think it was spot on, the phrase intellectually in that statement was meant to convey information about the intellect.

intellect |ˈin(t)lˌekt|
    noun
    the faculty of reasoning and understanding objectively, especially with regard to abstract or academic matters

The process in which one becomes a master carpenter or a phd is no different intellectually. Both are intellectual exercises that require one to move from a novice to an expert in a given field. But our society values PHDs more than master carpenters simply because we have 2 centuries of higher education tradition backing us up. There is this belief that higher education makes a person smarter, I am here to tell you it does not.

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

The man in the street questions popular on such shows as Jimmy Kimmel come to mind. Apparently random Americans have no idea which nation we fought against in the Revolutionary War, which war ended slavery, who is the Vice President, is free exercise of religion legal, how many stars are on the American Flag, etc. So what good is an American education anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    The man in the street questions popular on such shows as Jimmy Kimmel come to mind. Apparently random Americans have no idea which nation we fought against in the Revolutionary War, which war ended slavery, who is the Vice President, is free exercise of religion legal, how many stars are on the American Flag, etc. So what good is an American education anyway?
    Actually, I do not think that is a reflection of today's world. I think that is a reflection of human nature. In today's society people do not need to know how to make fire, it is not necessary. Knowing some of the above stuff is not necessary. All the metrics above are not an indication of intelligence. I also always wonder how many people got the questions right that they edited out because it was not funny.

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    Taking bourgeoise propaganda too seriously is the sign of a poor one. If you don't know better than that then the system has failed you indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast