View Poll Results: Are you a Southerner? Do you know your ancestry?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a Southerner; Yes I know my ancestry.

4 66.67%
  • I am a Southerner; No I do not know my ancestry.

1 16.67%
  • I am not a Southerner; Yes I know my ancestry.

0 0%
  • I am not a Southerner; No I do not know my ancestry.

1 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you know your ancestry?

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Re: Do you know your ancestry?

My grandmother recently did the DNA swap, my aunt bought her one for her birthday. Once she gets the results, I'll know more.

My surname is almost assuredly English, but that's literally all I know before like 1880. My family is very Virginian, my dad's family has been in VA for over a hundred years so assuredly some of his family was involved in the Civil War. My grandad was in Germany rebuilding after WW2, my papaw was in Korea, uncles in Vietnam and my brother has served in Afghanistan and Iraq with the USAF. I'm the disappointment who never enlisted lol.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

2nd Lieutenant SCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forumsSCgamecock2988 has a great deal of respect on the forums SCgamecock2988's Avatar

Re: Do you know your ancestry?

I've done my ancestry.com DNA test and have an account there (though not paying for the monthly subscription services so what I can do is limited). I found the results to be pretty interesting but also not surprising:

Africa: 2%

Africa North 2%

Europe: 98%

Ireland 26%
    Europe West 26%
    Great Britain 23%
    Scandinavia 14%

Iberian Peninsula 5%
    Europe East 3%
    European Jewish <1%

My dad got 65% Great Britain, which is interesting because ancestry.com says the average person in Great Britain would come back as 63% Great Britain DNA. He also only got 2% Europe West (for the purposes of ancestry.com this is basically France, Benelux and Germany) which I found shocking.

My dad's from SC where I'm from and I think a lot of his family traces back to Georgia but my mom is from Ohio where her dad's family was from, though my grandmother is from Charleston I believe. My paternal grandmothers surname has always baffled me because I can't find much on it but what I do find seems to trace everyone back to a common ancestor from Germany who was a guy who went there from the Netherlands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123