+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mike, LSU mascot is racist

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

Re: Mike, LSU mascot is racist

Quote Originally Posted by MetryTyger View Post
    I've typed in 3 civil, factual replies in this thread in the last 2 weeks. None of them have been posted.

Why ????
    No posts have been deleted or edited. Are you clicking post reply?
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

I have always thought Mike was a dodgy tiger
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Politics is like pro-wrestling -- Rollin' Baby

Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick two -- my buddy...
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Master Sergeant zud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forums zud the hut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YR_Tiger View Post
    I have always thought Mike was a dodgy tiger
    What's a dodgy tiger?
    Trick Magnet The Hut Valentine

Master Gunnery Sergeant SavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forums SavageOrangeJug's Avatar

I've typed in 3 civil, factual replies in this thread in the last 2 weeks. None of them have been posted.

Why ????
    Are you getting an error message about must be approved by a moderator or admin?

Master Gunnery Sergeant YR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsYR_Tiger has a great deal of respect on the forums YR_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zud the hut View Post
    What's a dodgy tiger?
    it was a joke. .sorry i must suck at jokes
    ( o Y o )-- F250

Politics is like pro-wrestling -- Rollin' Baby

Good, Fast, Cheap....Pick two -- my buddy...
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower

Private First Class MetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forums MetryTyger's Avatar

Yes, not sure if it was approved or if it even needed to be approved...

Private First Class MetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forumsMetryTyger has a great deal of respect on the forums MetryTyger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herchel View Post
    You can't make this stuff up. A LSU student has started a petition to change the mascot, claiming it was chosen to honor a Confederate fighting group called the Tigers.
    One of my ancestors fought with the Blue Ridge Tigers, 4th Ga Cavalry.

Maybe this student(s) should do some research.
    Dr. Charles Coates Jr. chose the name "Tigers" in 1896, continuing the trend of southern teams at that time to name their mascots after ferocious animals, like the northeastern teams, and in particular, Ivy League schools were doing. e.g. Yale Bulldogs (UGA,MSU), Harvard Crimson (Alabama - though not an animal), Princeton Tigers (LSU, Auburn). Coates, himself from the Northeast, related this fact at an anniversary reunion in 1937, as well as his thoughts that the complementary colors he chose in 1893 (Royal Purple and Old Gold) would 'aesthetically fit' a growling tiger face. In addition, Dan Hardesty, a Louisiana journalist, author, and sports historian, related much later in the 1960s that, not only did Coates NOT name the team "Tigers" after any war outfit, but anyone that subsequently somehow claimed this later was preposterous, because the so-called "fighting band of Louisiana tigers" existed 30 years before the LSU team started playing football, and the soldiers who fought in Manassas Va. were not even from Louisiana, but from all over. It was an erroneous myth to begin with.
    In addition, the word "Fighting" did not even become part of the LSU mascot name until after the 1955 season - when LSU's team was noted for "fighting deep into the game til the end" and was known as "The 4th quarter ball club."

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOrangeJug View Post
    Are you getting an error message about must be approved by a moderator or admin?

I just posted my reply again, and I did get the message that it would posted 'after a moderator or administrator approved it.' And I did hit reply.

Master Gunnery Sergeant SavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forumsSavageOrangeJug has a great deal of respect on the forums SavageOrangeJug's Avatar

I just posted my reply again, and I did get the message that it would posted 'after a moderator or administrator approved it.' And I did hit reply.
    That is a bug that has plagued this forum for years.

You'll need an admin to approve them. Message Herchel or Dawg in Dallas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast