+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comey-Gate

Moderator The Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forums

Comey-Gate

I figured we should just start a new thread... cuz this sounds like a real firecracker.

On a personal level, I feel bad that he was put in the situation to make the pressers last July when he basically admitted that the Clinton email ordeal broke laws (that we put people in jail over) but declined to push for charges because (apparently) she didn't mean it. (Or something...)

He's clearly a law enforcement stud that failed the leap into political theater; I think he shouldn't have been in that position. He didn't do much better with the ordeal 1 week before the election; while last year has been a ****-show.

But on a personal level I feel compassion for the guy.

On a professional level, I wonder wtf he has been thinking. He is smart... and by all measures in his testimony he seems to have TRIED to do what's right. So why didn't he resign in January? I believe he is a good man, acts in good faith & cares about law & order. As a professional he should have stepped down so that the FBI mission can move forward; as a professional you have to be willing to stand up and say when you are not cut out for your current role.

Because I think highly of his character and believe he cares for law & order (yet, didn't deliver it)... I have to wonder if it was his patriotism that kept him in the game. Could D.C. be so toxic that Comey felt the responsibility to play mediator rather than law enforcement officer? He seems like the kind of guy that would shoulder that burden.

I am baffled at why active duty military are in jail for accidental breaches of security, but HRC's intentional breaches are different. I'm baffled by how General Patreaus' breach of security warrants charges but HRC does not. The two cases have similarities:

1. They were both willful (despite what we were told)
    2. They both knew better
    3. Gen. P. gave it to his "side-piece"; Human sent it to her husband (who had multiple side-pieces, maybe an underage...)
    4. The laws don't require intent

Why?

The more disturbing thing -- and this never stopped -- was all of the leaks. The FBI has to be gatekeepers on most of this info; either FBI personnel were a part of it, or they didn't control access well enough to keep a lid on it. A surprising revelation from this week's testimony is that neither Yates, nor Clapper, have been interviewed by FBI regarding the leaks.

Wouldn't FBI need/want to talk to Yates/Clapper for an investigation into the leaks? Is there even an investigation? Comey said there was one (Mar 20) into unmasking of Flynn -- if for no other reason than to clear her as a possibility, wouldn't FBI need to interview her?

So again -- I think Comey is a good guy that was unable to juggle the political sphere that he entered. I'm sure it looks bad on Trump's part, but I agree with the decision.

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Re: Comey-Gate

You don't expect the Clintons to be treated like common lawbreakers, do you?

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Good God, the Clinton fantasy will never end. The #Zousteria over that will never end.

Comey didn't have to have a press conference in July. He sure as hell shouldn't have spoken up in October on Clinton while refusing to speak up that the Trump campaign was under investigation.

I do think he has tried to thread a needle and do his best, and i don't doubt his integrity.

In any event, this firing by Trump is B.S. His stated reasons are flimsy and if he thpught it he should have asked for Comey's resignation on 1-20.

I hope we have 3 republicans with a spine to stand up to this insecure president and demand a special prosecutor to look into these allegations, and no Rudy should not be given that job or become director of the FBI.

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Hog Dude View Post
    Obama should have fired him for interfering with the election. I wonder why Trump is firing now though. Is there something to this Russia stuff?
    Comey's hubris?

Moderator ECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Good God, the Russian collusion fantasy will never end. The TDS that drives it continues unabated, as predictable as the setting sun.

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein, who has served in both Republican and Democrat administrations and is the immediate superior to the FBI Director, recommended Comey's firing with solid reasons for doing so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39866767

His letter clearly indicates that the firing was as needed as it was justified. Rosenstein was recently confirmed 94-6 to serve as deputy AG and is highly respected by BOTH parties.

The call for a special prosecutor in the wake of Comey's firing is nothing but MORE unhinged behavior from Democrats and leftists. It will not effect the ongoing investigations in ANY WAY. It is just the latest display of TDS from those who are 100 percent infected with the malady.

"Well, the president didn’t fire the entire FBI. He fired the director of the FBI. And I have every confidence that the FBI will continue pursuing its investigation into the Russian attempt to influence the elections last fall. In addition, the Senate Intelligence Committee on which I serve is continuing its bipartisan investigation." - Senator Susan Collins of Maine

Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, with questionable accusations against his wife's ties to past Democrat contributions to a Virginia political run still lingering, was named as acting director by AG Jeff Sessions.

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

The Deputy AG cited Comey's mishandling and public statements regarding Clinton as the reason Comey should be terminated.
    This is the letter that Trump cites when stating that Comey should be fired.
    "The Director was wrong to usurp the Attorney General's authority on July 5, 2016, and announce his conclusion that the case should be closed without prosecution. It is not the function of the Director to make such an announcement," the deputy attorney general said.

Last summer, Comey said "no charges are appropriate" in the FBI's investigation of Clinton.
    "Although there is evidence of potential violations regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case," he said in July.

Rosenstein said that the dismissed FBI director compounded the error when he "ignored another longstanding principle: we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation."...

"The Director laid out his version of the facts for the news media as if it were a closing argument, but without a trial. It is a textbook example of what federal prosecutors and agents are taught not to do," he said.

Comey has defended his actions, saying that he was simply trying to not conceal the FBI's decision to investigate the additional emails.

But Rosenstein refuted Comey's language, saying that federal agents "are not concealing anything" when conducting an investigation quietly.

"In that context, silence is not concealment," the deputy attorney general said.

JMO, this is a nonissue or plays in Trump's favor if he had fired Comey back in January for the aforementioned reasons.
    However, the context and timing of Comey's termination is the issue.
    This article is from the American Conservative.

Since the administration already squandered what little credibility it had months ago, it is reasonable to assume that Comey was fired in order to impede an investigation of Trump and his advisers and not for the reasons given by the Deputy Attorney General. Firing an FBI Director who isn’t even halfway through his term would look bad in any case, but doing it under these circumstances is obnoxious and is sure to be perceived as an abuse of power by most Americans. Who thinks that Comey’s successor will be more independent and less compromised than Comey was supposed to be? If we’re being honest, I don’t think anyone really thinks that.

Trump’s larger problem here is that he has proven time after time that he can’t be trusted, so very few people outside his own party will be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt when he does something as suspicious and controversial as this. Because he has frittered away any credibility he may have had with countless lies and distortions, most people will assume his explanations for his actions are untrue and will assume something else must be going on.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2007 - Year of the Oil Baron
    2008 - Year of the Fab Five
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Quote Originally Posted by USC90
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba

President - RNT Fan Club Elvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forumsElvis has a great deal of respect on the forums Elvis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    You don't expect the Clintons to be treated like common lawbreakers, do you?
    This is really simple.
    Republicans impeached Bill Clinton for lying about sex.
    There is currently an investigation about a current sitting President potentially lying about espionage. He happens to be Republican.
    Does the Republican majority support or suborn the investigation about espionage?

JMO, the best possible result is that Trump is innocent. If he's not, America needs to know. This is not a party affiliation thing. This is a foreign power interfering in our body politc. Everyone should want to know the truth. Make America Great again by remembering our first principles, not loyalty to a brand.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:
    Elvis will have to ... what am I thinking, E is going to do whatever he wants to do anyway,

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps Dr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forumsDr.SwineSmeller has a great deal of respect on the forums Dr.SwineSmeller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Good God, the Clinton fantasy will never end. The #Zousteria over that will never end.

Comey didn't have to have a press conference in July. He sure as hell shouldn't have spoken up in October on Clinton while refusing to speak up that the Trump campaign was under investigation.

I do think he has tried to thread a needle and do his best, and i don't doubt his integrity.

In any event, this firing by Trump is B.S. His stated reasons are flimsy and if he thpught it he should have asked for Comey's resignation on 1-20.

I hope we have 3 republicans with a spine to stand up to this insecure president and demand a special prosecutor to look into these allegations, and no Rudy should not be given that job or become director of the FBI.
    Dawg, 95 percent of demagogues wanted Coney to be tarred and feathered and dead just three months ago. Two faced ragtags as normal

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.SwineSmeller View Post
    Dawg, 95 percent of demagogues wanted Coney to be tarred and feathered and dead just three months ago. Two faced ragtags as normal
    It's possible to have two thoughts in your head at one time. It can be entirely reasonable to believe that Comey's termination was justified (see Rosenstein's letter, post #7) and at the same time to be suspect of Trump's motives. Again, see post #7. As far as I can tell, there are two reasonable conclusions to draw.

1) Comey was mired in multiple controversies and he was rightly fired. The FBI needs to be widely trusted by Americans and Comey is anything but trusted.
    2) Trump does not want an independent FBI director. Trump wants someone who will bow to his wishes. Comey is not that.

My personal opinion, as expressed in the notes above, is that it is unreasonable to conclude that Trump fired Comey because he should not have made public statements regarding Clinton. However, that is the express basis used by Rosenstein as grounds for termination. So, the likely conclusion is that Trump fired Comey for reasons other than that.

I am interested in hearing about other alternative reasons Comey may have been fired. As you can see from posts #1 and #2, there are at least two posters in this thread who impliedly reject the conclusions drawn by Rosenstein and the basis for the termination itself.
    2006 - Year of the Elvis
    2012 - Year of the Stud
    Best of:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast