View Poll Results: Which team has the best chance to win it all before the others?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kentucky

5 26.32%
  • Mississippi State

1 5.26%
  • Missouri

4 21.05%
  • South Carolina

8 42.11%
  • Vanderbilt

1 5.26%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which SEC Team Wins A National First

Administrator The Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Which SEC Team Wins A National First

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NESS View Post
    Looking through our history, looks like 1950 peaked at #3 and 1977 (AP) peaked at #7 and 2007 at #7 (Harris or whatever)
    I will forever hold 2000 as the greatest KY FB team... even if experts differ. Perhaps I just miss The Hefty Lefty -- he was awesome!!!

Get this out of this thread. I can moderate if you don't want to. -- DiD
    “I do not recognise this court’s right to try me.” -- Henry Rearden, Atlas Shrugged

Master Sergeant zud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forums zud the hut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Zou View Post
    I will forever hold 2000 as the greatest KY FB team... even if experts differ. Perhaps I just miss The Hefty Lefty -- he was awesome!!!

Stay Puff!!!

I liked watching him play. Can you imagine tackling that Dough boy?
    Trick Magnet The Hut Valentine

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Nah gotta be 2007, legit NFL talent like Stevie Johnson, Wesley Woodyard, Jacob Tamme, Trevard Linley plus great SEC guys like Woodson, Little, Burton, J Johnson, Pryor, etc...
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Administrator The Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forumsThe Zou has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by zud the hut View Post
    Stay Puff!!!

I liked watching him play. Can you imagine tackling that Dough boy?
    As a LB I tackled all types/sizes/styles; the worst was always the "husky" dudes that had wheels. For instance, I generally preferred taking on a FB as a lead blocker than a pulling-guard that had good feet/wheels. And back when I played the TE was generally more like a lineman with hands/feet... which wasn't easy either.

In simple terms, I would rather tackle Eddie George than Christian Okoye!!!
    “I do not recognise this court’s right to try me.” -- Henry Rearden, Atlas Shrugged

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

As a LB I tackled all types/sizes/styles; the worst was always the "husky" dudes that had wheels. For instance, I generally preferred taking on a FB as a lead blocker than a pulling-guard that had good feet/wheels. And back when I played the TE was generally more like a lineman with hands/feet... which wasn't easy either.

In simple terms, I would rather tackle Eddie George than Christian Okoye!!!
    Who wouldn't? Sheesh lol. I've probably seen George steamroll more people BC he played at a high level longer, but Okoye was scary !Looking. There's a reason he was called the Nigerian Nightmare.

But that's like saying youd rather tackle Barry Sanders as opposed to Earl Campbell! Well no, more like Walter Payton and Earl.
    I always played OL, andntrust us, there's NOTHING we enjoyed more than pulling and hitting LBs or DBs. Hitting big tough DLs gets old, so when we get to run and hit an LB or DB? C'mon coach, call a counter trap every three plays lol.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Moderator GR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forumsGR8NESS has a great deal of respect on the forums GR8NESS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Man View Post
    Nah gotta be 2007, legit NFL talent like Stevie Johnson, Wesley Woodyard, Jacob Tamme, Trevard Linley plus great SEC guys like Woodson, Little, Burton, J Johnson, Pryor, etc...
    1977 - SEC Champs if the idiots didn't decide to take our bowl ban that year instead of 76. 11-1, only lost to Baylor
    Kentucky 41 - Louisville 38.
    L's Down.

Who wouldn't? Sheesh lol. I've probably seen George steamroll more people BC he played at a high level longer, but Okoye was scary !Looking. There's a reason he was called the Nigerian Nightmare.

But that's like saying youd rather tackle Barry Sanders as opposed to Earl Campbell! Well no, more like Walter Payton and Earl.
    I always played OL, andntrust us, there's NOTHING we enjoyed more than pulling and hitting LBs or DBs. Hitting big tough DLs gets old, so when we get to run and hit an LB or DB? C'mon coach, call a counter trap every three plays lol.
    In HS I had no problems taking on the pulling OL; that changed in college when the cut block came into play. I will never forget going live for the first time as a Fr and coming down-hill hard on a pulling guard... and then my legs were gone. It took a while to learn how to play it -- essentially, I had to "put the governor on" and slow play the lead blocker until I could figure out low vs high committment... with the net result being that it was much harder when they decided to go high.

Tough lesson -- one of many...

The examples with TE are similar -- they were big dudes... so if my speed advantage was taken away (ie have to make an open field tackle, am late to read the crossing route) then some pretty good noise could come out it.

I miss those day -- I would fall apart if I tried to act like that these days!!

In HS I had no problems taking on the pulling OL; that changed in college when the cut block came into play. I will never forget going live for the first time as a Fr and coming down-hill hard on a pulling guard... and then my legs were gone. It took a while to learn how to play it -- essentially, I had to "put the governor on" and slow play the lead blocker until I could figure out low vs high committment... with the net result being that it was much harder when they decided to go high.

Tough lesson -- one of many...

The examples with TE are similar -- they were big dudes... so if my speed advantage was taken away (ie have to make an open field tackle, am late to read the crossing route) then some pretty good noise could come out it.

I miss those day -- I would fall apart if I tried to act like that these days!!
    You never got cut in HS? We only cut on certain plays, like slants and stuff to try and keep the DL from deflecting the pass but it was in our arsenal so when I got to college, I knew how to cut (but so did every other Fr I came in with except one).
    But, as a bigger guy, I never cut DBs because I could just roll them. Linebackers sometimes got cut, I learned my lesson one game when on a sweep I got out in front and went high but just totally whiffed and the LB jus simply moved around me and made a tackle. I've had several LBs rock me,but if they were too worried about hitting me the RB got to just run free. The hardest a LB ever hit me was in high school, I pulled but the backside linebacker got a free run and just walloped me. In college they were more disciplined and wanted to make a tackle so they didn't want to ness. hit me out of pride, they knew making a tackle was most important.

Quote Originally Posted by GR8NESS View Post
    1977 - SEC Champs if the idiots didn't decide to take our bowl ban that year instead of 76. 11-1, only lost to Baylor
    Yes, I'm only 30 but I remember that 77 squad so well lol.

You never got cut in HS? We only cut on certain plays, like slants and stuff to try and keep the DL from deflecting the pass but it was in our arsenal so when I got to college, I knew how to cut (but so did every other Fr I came in with except one).
    But, as a bigger guy, I never cut DBs because I could just roll them. Linebackers sometimes got cut, I learned my lesson one game when on a sweep I got out in front and went high but just totally whiffed and the LB jus simply moved around me and made a tackle. I've had several LBs rock me,but if they were too worried about hitting me the RB got to just run free. The hardest a LB ever hit me was in high school, I pulled but the backside linebacker got a free run and just walloped me. In college they were more disciplined and wanted to make a tackle so they didn't want to ness. hit me out of pride, they knew making a tackle was most important.
    In HS the cut block was only allowed between the tackles... and I don't remember HS lineman being good enough to drop a cut on a blitz. I'm sure it happened, but it was probably during a down block and not intended for the blitz.

So it was definitely new to me when I was a Fr and tried to make a statement on the lead blockers; I think that is a lesson for a lot of incoming FR LB's and I'm sure it is fun for the OL to provide the lesson plan!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast