+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tim Duncan Retires

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Tim Duncan Retires

DiD, there is plenty to debate within your post (Kobe was more than a "Pippen", your insistence of picking 3 years when the Lakers didnt contend whIle nOT acknowledging the Spurs only made three finals in that same period " for instance). However, since your board and forum are being diminished, I'll leave it. I don't need this, certainly not being around people who think they're better than I. Perhaps the entire board here is diminishing because dissenting opinions are not welcome anymore.

I'll just say this in closing. In your opinion, I may not gave BB knowledge or anything to contribute here, but I'm happy that I'm not rude or pompous. I guess we all can't be perfect.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Tubby, your BB knowledge gets overridden by your Kobe bias. I just don't understand why you insisted on bringing Kobe and the Lakers into a thread about Duncan.

Overall Kobe was more than a Pippen, but in those first three Lakers titles, Kobe was Shaqs Pippen. Shaq was dominant, he was Finals MVP. Kobe was the sidekick. That is just reality.

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Yeah, I use colorful language. Yes, I'm obnoxious. Yes, I love the Spurs. Yes, I dislike LAL.

But, I can admit LAL was SHAQs dynasty, and Kobe is a great kjndividual player that will go down as one of the 10-15 best ever and prob second best two guard ever. I don't feel the need too belittle LALs accomplishments becausenthe Spurs accomplishments shine just as bright. You're the one coming off as insecure here, saying how SAS isn't a dynasty bc they never won back to back titles, which is such a silly statement, then SAS was only lucky LAL was a mess at times, which is just absurd and wrong.

I have no issues admitting I can be rude, brash and obnoxious. Why do you act as if you aren't ever pompous? That's the EXACT word I would usento describe y at times, and I guaranteed I'm not the only one who feels that way.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

DiD, perhaps you'd be well-served to look at the 12th post in this thread and realize I didn't turn this into a Kobe-Duncan argument. The first shots fired were not by me. But yeah, I'm going to defend Kobe when I feel necessary. He's my guy. This board just can't handle Kobe fans and that's okay.

Bama_Man, again, you're the one that threw Kobe, simply because I questioned if SAS was a dynasty. It's not something subjective. It's clear as day, look at the thread. I'm the one who started this thread, because I respect what Tim Duncan has done. The notion that I'm insecure about Kobe's place all-time is crazy. All I gotta do is listen to how MJ feel about Kobe, and I'm secure with his place. You're the one that got offended here first. Not me. BTW, Storm said SAS wasn't a dynasty first BTW. It's not like I have an opinion that isn't shared by others.

I said I was done in this NBA forum. I just needed to defend myself. End of the day, what you or anybody else here feels about me isn't my full concern. I don't think I belittle people and have not in this thread (that's what you and DiD have done). I don't cuss at people. I don't act like I'm better than others. I use facts and stats to back up what I say. Whether you like how I arrive at my POV based on the facts isn't my concern (i.e. Kobe's Lakers being Kobe's Lakers). It's yalls thread and board again though. I'll stick to college hoops.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    DiD, perhaps you'd be well-served to look at the 12th post in this thread and realize I didn't turn this into a Kobe-Duncan argument. The first shots fired were not by me. But yeah, I'm going to defend Kobe when I feel necessary. He's my guy. This board just can't handle Kobe fans and that's okay.

Bama_Man, again, you're the one that threw Kobe, simply because I questioned if SAS was a dynasty. It's not something subjective. It's clear as day, look at the thread. I'm the one who started this thread, because I respect what Tim Duncan has done. The notion that I'm insecure about Kobe's place all-time is crazy. All I gotta do is listen to how MJ feel about Kobe, and I'm secure with his place. You're the one that got offended here first. Not me. BTW, Storm said SAS wasn't a dynasty first BTW. It's not like I have an opinion that isn't shared by others.

I said I was done in this NBA forum. I just needed to defend myself. End of the day, what you or anybody else here feels about me isn't my full concern. I don't think I belittle people and have not in this thread (that's what you and DiD have done). I don't cuss at people. I don't act like I'm better than others. I use facts and stats to back up what I say. Whether you like how I arrive at my POV based on the facts isn't my concern (i.e. Kobe's Lakers being Kobe's Lakers). It's yalls thread and board again though. I'll stick to college hoops.
    What stats did you use to come up with SAS was only lucky that LAL was a mess?

And no, YOU asked whether Storm that SAS was a dynasty, which he said he did from 99-07, you're the onlymperson who has said anything but SAS not being a dynasty.

I believe you don't like the NBA forum simply because more people challenge your opinions as the fans are more spread out. Couple LA fans, Bron fans, Mavs fans, Hawks fans, Spurs fan, etc..instead of the CBB forum which is mainly UK posters (and you get pissy there too if people don't kiss the UK ring).

No one else takes this as personally as you do. Don't get all uptight about it. And FWIW, I've been downright tame with you compared to going to war with other posters. H. and I have had some intense verbal tit for tats, same with some of the AU fans, some other UGA guys, Reb at one point, GoAU and Zoo and EC in the Tank, etc.. No one else feels the need to be so defensive about arguments on here, its a sports forum , were supposed to arguemor whatsbthe point?
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

UT - The University of TENNESSEE! TexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forums TexasFight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Tubby, your BB knowledge gets overridden by your Kobe bias. I just don't understand why you insisted on bringing Kobe and the Lakers into a thread about Duncan.

Overall Kobe was more than a Pippen, but in those first three Lakers titles, Kobe was Shaqs Pippen. Shaq was dominant, he was Finals MVP. Kobe was the sidekick. That is just reality.
    Kobe was not Shaq's "Pippen". Lumping Kobe's name in with Scottie Pippen is tantamount to heresy, and it is so disrespectful. It really, really is. Kobe was Magic to Shaq's Kareem. He was Oscar Robertson to Shaq's Lew Alcindor. They were co-stars. Partners. Other than the first championship year, Kobe was just as important to the Lakers as Shaq. Go look at the stats. Kobe was putting up comparable numbers at his position to Shaq's, especially in the playoffs. He was averaging LeBron numbers. I seem to remember Shaq foolishly fouling out of G4 in the 2001 NBA Finals, and I also seem to remember it was Kobe who lit up the Pacers in OT and drove a nail that read "3-1" in the Pacers' coffin. Who knows what would've happened if the Pacers tied it at 2-2 with G5 on their home floor. Lucky for the Lakers, they never had to worry about it because of Kobe, not Shaq.

I wouldn't have a problem with your analysis of the Kobe-Shaq dynamic is you had stopped at calling Kobe a sidekick - something I disagree with, but whatever. Your opinion. My problem is your repeated attempts to discredit Kobe's impact and importance to those Lakers teams―especially in the 2nd and 3rd runs in the three-peat―and your "he was just along for the ride" attitude, which is asinine, ten, eleven and twelve.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFight View Post
    Kobe was not Shaq's "Pippen". Lumping Kobe's name in with Scottie Pippen is tantamount to heresy. Kobe was Magic to Shaq's Kareem. He was Oscar Robertson to Shaq's Lew Alcindor. They were co-stars. Partners. Other than the first championship year, Kobe was just as important to the Lakers as Shaq. Go look at the stats. Kobe was putting up comparable numbers at his position to Shaq's, especially in the playoffs. He was averaging LeBron numbers. I seem to remember Shaq foolishly fouling out of G4 in the 2001 NBA Finals, and I also seem to remember it was Kobe who lit up the Pacers in OT and drove a nail that read "3-1" in the Pacers' coffin. Who knows what would've happened if the Pacers tied it at 2-2 with G5 on their home floor. Lucky for the Lakers, they never had to worry about it because of Kobe, not Shaq.

I wouldn't have a problem with your analysis of the Kobe-Shaq dynamic is you had stopped at calling Kobe a sidekick - something I disagree with, but whatever. Your opinion. My problem is your repeated attempts to discredit Kobe's impact and importance to those Lakers teams―especially in the 2nd and 3rd runs in the three-peat―and your "he was just along for the ride" attitude, which is asinine, ten, eleven and twelve.
    Kobe as an all around player is far superior to Pippen. However, in the Shaq era, it was Shaq, and Kobe was like Pippen - the clear second fiddle.

In the 1991 NBA finals, Jordan outscored Pippen by 10.4 ppg, Pippen out-rebounded Jordan by 2.8 rpg, and Jordan had 4.8 more assist pg.

In the 2000 NBA finals, Shaq outscored Kobe by 22.4 ppg, had 12.1 more rebounds per game and Kobe had 1.9 more assists per game.

Every year of the Lakers Shaq championship teams, Shaq outscored Kobe by a significant margin - though 2000 was a large outlier - the other two years the total was only about 9 ppg, which is still significant. Shaq had way more rebounds and just slightly fewer assists. Those teams were HIS teams. Kobe was an important second guy, just like Pippen. But to claim Kobe was just as important is simply false. Shaq won the MVP for a reason all three of those years.

I don't know if you meant to denigrate Pippen who was vital to the Bulls or merely pump up Kobe. But without Pippen, I am not sure the Bulls 3-peat twice, he was very, very important to the Bulls success. He wasn't Jordan important, but still very important. Neither Pippen nor Kobe was just along for the ride, but neither was the alpha dog. Tubby insists that all the Lakers championships Kobe was the man. He was not.

And no, Kobe wasn't putting up Lebron numbers on those Shaq championship teams.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234