+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Duncan Retires

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Tim Duncan Retires

Speaking of Jordan. KG is final remaining link to MJ's final Bulls season. It's a complete different league.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

The Spurs won by 7 in 05 decider, not some last second hail Mary three. Two huge threes at final buzzed have hurt Spurs, Fisher hit one that put SA out when they were likely best team and then the Ray Allen shot.

How in the world is winning five titles, making the playoffs EVERY season, winning 50 games basically every year in a 19 year run NOT a dynasty?

How many times did Kobe miss the playoffs? How many times did Jordan fail to win 50 games in an 82-game season?

Duncan never missed either mark. The Celtics never won back to back in the 80s, were they not dynastic? The Lakers of Magic did not win back to backntitles until their last one, 88-89. Were they not a dynasty before that?

That is such a weak,lame argument. A dynasty is consistently winning at the highest level, how is Duncan's Spurs anything but the definition of a dynasty?
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

You're free to your opinion. I've stated mine and I won't get into a debate with you over it. (Surely your questions you can do a google search to find answers... if thats what you really want anyway lol)Thats why i was addressing Storm, who has no dog in the fight either, sonce he admires Duncan/SAS from afar also. Good day.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

I don't need answers, I just don't understand how any reasonable person could claim Duncan's run in SA in any other terms but dynastic.

A dynasty is a long period of sustained, elite success. Five titles in 19 years, one every four years, always made the playoffs and won 50 games. That's almost the textbook definition of a dynasty.
    Are the Pistons of the early 90s somehow more dynastic because they won back to back titles, only two, compared to five?
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

In this era of free agency, the Spurs are dynastic. No team in today's professional sports is going to repeat the 1960's Celtics.

I saw someone say that Duncan was possibly the best TEAMMATE ever, and compared him to Bill Russell, which is quite the complement. He wasn't flashy, he was just great at every aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    In this era of free agency, the Spurs are dynastic. No team in today's professional sports is going to repeat the 1960's Celtics.

I saw someone say that Duncan was possibly the best TEAMMATE ever, and compared him to Bill Russell, which is quite the complement. He wasn't flashy, he was just great at every aspect of the game.
    When would you say this "free agency" era started though? I think when another franchise had a more concentrated level of championship success, it is fair to question. Is it possible for two teams be a dynasty at the same time, in a Lakers/Celtics way of yesteryear?

I wouldn't say LeBron is a dynasty either and he's been to what 6 straight finals? He's only won three of them.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

When would you say this "free agency" era started though? I think when another franchise had a more concentrated level of championship success, it is fair to question. Is it possible for two teams be a dynasty at the same time, in a Lakers/Celtics way of yesteryear?

I wouldn't say LeBron is a dynasty either in the greatest senseand he's been to what 6 straight finals? He's only won three of them. I'd say in my lifetime the only dynasties were the a Jordan Bulls and Kobe Lakers teams the first decade of this millenium. That's no disrespect to Hakeem's Rockets, Duncan's Spurs, and the Pistons in either era. LeBron is close.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post

I wouldn't say LeBron is a dynasty either and he's been to what 6 straight finals? He's only won three of them.
    Lebron has played on different teams. Lebron is an outstanding player, but he has not played on a team that would be considered a dynasty.

I don't know if I would consider the 1980's Celtics or Lakers a dynasty, certainly not the Celtics. Obviously it is subjective defining it. I am not quibbling with your opinion, just stating my own.

As for as free agency, the BEGINNING of that period would be the late 1980's when you could become unrestricted. However, it seems to get more and more crazy every year.

A three peat is not the same as a dynasty. The Lakers won five titles from 2000-2010. The Spurs won five from 99-2015, yet were more consistent, never had a losing season, and consistently was as the top of a brutal West.

And when exactly was the Kobe Lakers a dynasty? SHAQs Lakers had an argument, three peating, but Kobe has no more claim to being the reason for a dynasty as Isiah Thomas or Hakeem. Kobe was THE guy on two title teams. Duncan was THE guy in four. So, who's dynastic in those two? Duncan never had another top 10 all time player on his team, he had an All-Star and MVP, but Robinson was never as dominant as O'Neal.

Lebron has played on different teams. Lebron is an outstanding player, but he has not played on a team that would be considered a dynasty.

I don't know if I would consider the 1980's Celtics or Lakers a dynasty, certainly not the Celtics. Obviously it is subjective defining it. I am not quibbling with your opinion, just stating my own.

As for as free agency, the BEGINNING of that period would be the late 1980's when you could become unrestricted. However, it seems to get more and more crazy every year.
    Sure, I said I wouldn't call LBJ a dynasty. It's a team sport. But, my point though is that LeBron doesn't not make the finals. In a team sport he's always there. That's what dynastic is IMO. It fits my way of defining it, being consistently winning or on the cusp. Often times these Spurs teams that didn't win weren't even in the West finals. It's similar to Phil Jackson from a coaching perspective. He missed the finals in 1994, 1995, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 in two decades. (I'm not counting 1999 because he wasn't coaching then). Phil had a dynasty with Jordan/Pippen and with Kobe's Lakers (2000-2010). It's about contention (i.e. finals, championships). LeBron is always there. Kobe's Lakers were there 7 times in an 11 year period. Jordan was always there besides his brief return in 1995. Those three (and Shaq with an assist to some of those Lakers teams) are a cut above the rest IMO. Maybe I'm biased too because those guys were all faces of the league also.

Thanks for the clarification on free agency. I was going to say free agency has been around for as long as I could remember.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast