+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Duncan Retires

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Tim Duncan Retires

I don't want hear about top power forward ever. He's one of the top players EVER. He doesn't need to be limited by that. For my generation who didn't see the full Jordan career, this is our Jordan retirement (Duncan and Kobe). These are basically the first two players I can remember from start to finish. It's a completely different league. He won with two different, maybe three, iterations with the Spurs (first with Robinsom, then Manu/Tony, and finally Leonard). LEGEND!!
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

Re: Tim Duncan Retires

Damn, really thought he was going to play one more year.

Smoothest game in the league. I still remember him announcing he was going back to Wake Forest to play his senior season. Even that was amazing. Great ambassador. The league is losing a great one, for sure.

Brigadier General kentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forumskentubbybasketball has a great deal of respect on the forums

Storm, how would you quantity the Spurs during his era? Were they dynastic? On one hand they only played in back to back finals once (and that was well into his career). However, 5 titles in basically a 17 year period is impressive.
    KT is so knowelegable about basketball, he can back his **** up. He can rip a program 6 ways to Sunday, yet turn around in the next breath and explain why that same program should/could/will be/is a great program.
    -Storm

I like and respect kentubby, he does know his stuff when it concerns college basketball.
    msudawgs1964

This board would be boring if it wasn't for Kentubby's posts and the responses he gets.
    -fatboydog

Kentubby is one of my favorite posters on this board. Sure he has some personal views, but this board would be so if everyone agreed all the time that it wouldn't be worth going to. I'd challenge you to find another poster on this board that knows as much about EVERY SEC team as he does. He knows more about lowly South Carolina and our recruiting then alot of our own fans do. It would be a sad day for the basketball forum if he ever left.
    -SCfan804

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

It's extremely impressive. I would be more apt to call them a dynasty from 99-07. You win 4 titles in 8 seasons I can buy it, even if none were back to back. But not sure I'd call the entire time he was there a dynasty.

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Led the winningest franchise in professional sports during his tenure. No team won a higher %, including Patriots, Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, etc..

GOAT PF, top 5-7 all time, best of his generation.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    It's extremely impressive. I would be more apt to call them a dynasty from 99-07. You win 4 titles in 8 seasons I can buy it, even if none were back to back. But not sure I'd call the entire time he was there a dynasty.
    I think I would tend to agree. I just wonder why they couldn't put it together in back to back seasons. That's just strange.

I think Duncan being a guy that didn't seek endorsements will make people feel a certain kind of way about his career, and he'll maybe be somewhat forgotten by being a stopgap between the Jordan and LeBron eras. He also played what will go down to this point as the weakest position in NBA history. Look at the all-time depth at the 1, 2, 3, and 5. Before Duncan people were debating if Barkley or Malone were the best 4 of all-time. So, clearly he's the best 4 of all-time, but if you take the all-time best at each position, Duncan is likely behind all of those guy on a top player list.

However, as you said, he was extremely impressive. I think the mark of a great NBA player is that you change the culture of something whether it be rules, outside endorsements or whatever. Duncan changed culture in how he would sit out games for rest. People weren't doing that before him and now others follow suit. (Crazy it takes Tim Duncan retiring to get us to agree on something, Storm).
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

They were a ridiculous Ray Allen 3 away from winning a 6th that would have been back to back. They win that and I'd say his entire tenure could have been called a dynasty

The Pistons were a close Game 7 away from taking that 2005 title though it goes both ways.
    -Storm

msudawgs1964

-fatboydog

-SCfan804

true.....

Moderator joehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forumsjoehogjoe has a great deal of respect on the forums joehogjoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentubbybasketball View Post
    I don't want hear about top power forward ever. He's one of the top players EVER. He doesn't need to be limited by that. For my generation who didn't see the full Jordan career, this is our Jordan retirement (Duncan and Kobe). These are basically the first two players I can remember from start to finish. It's a completely different league. He won with two different, maybe three, iterations with the Spurs (first with Robinsom, then Manu/Tony, and finally Leonard). LEGEND!!
    great tribute to one of the games greats.
    Never Yield!

Go Hogs

My American flag will hang upside down for the foreseeable future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast