+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Atlanta trades Teheran

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

If Atlanta trades Teheran

I swear I'm done with them. Julio is young (25), has a live arm and has been one of the best 5-7 pitchers in the NL. This season is a lost cause, but if you get rid of every talented player on the roster, why would a fan even bother watching? Trading Kimbrel/Simmons/J Up/Heyward was bad enough (Atlanta could contend this year if those guyss were still Braves with how well Wistler/Teheran have pitched) but trading away the ONE piece you have is unforgivable.

If he was 30, sure I understand. But trading him away now is telling every fan you don't plan on being competitive for five f'n years.

What do other Braves fans think?

Julio's stats:
    2016-2.46 ERA, 99 K

Singed thru 2020!!!!!! Only has one season with more than 100 IP with an ERA above 3.20. He has posted 3.20, 2.89, 4.04 and 2.46 ERAs very year in the rotation.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

The Legend Killer Djshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forumsDjshockley3 has a great deal of respect on the forums Djshockley3's Avatar

Re: If Atlanta trades Teheran

Agreed. I would pretty much be done, I seriously do not wanna wait 5+ years for them to be decent again.

Gunnery Sergeant Dawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forums

1. This team was never paying the huge contracts Jason Heyward and Justin Upton got.
    2. No, Heyward and Upton makes this team a mediocre team max at least with how they've played so far. Have you see their lines for this year so far?
    Upton: .231/.291/.379 (.670 OPS) (Does have 8 HR and 32 RBI, but still)
    Heyward: .237/.327/.328 (.655 OPS) (4 HR and 26 RBI, but on a monster offensive team where everyone gets on base)
    3. This team doesn't have Matt Wisler without the trades.

A good comp for this team if they had kept all of their players somehow would be the Detroit Tigers right now without the money the Tigers have and this is not a good place to be in considering the Braves essentially have a small market income for some reason (considering Atlanta is a big market). They'd have a mediocre team, no farm system, and no money to try to fix their issues if they didn't blow it up.

I clearly realize that Heyward and Upton are probably going to make me look bad and both have their normal seasons in the end, but they tried this team already in 2013-2014 and it did not work.

I hope someone else other than Liberty Media becomes the owner of the Braves by 2019.
    Georgia sports are like Charlie Brown. They will always tease you, and then Lucy will take that football up away from Charlie and he'll flip upside down, saying "Oh brother".

Sergeant Major of SEC Fanatics Corps HunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forumsHunkerDown has a great deal of respect on the forums HunkerDown's Avatar

I agree.

Moderator Bama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forumsBama_Man has a great deal of respect on the forums Bama_Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg4life View Post
    1. This team was never paying the huge contracts Jason Heyward and Justin Upton got.
    2. No, Heyward and Upton makes this team a mediocre team max at least with how they've played so far. Have you see their lines for this year so far?
    Upton: .231/.291/.379 (.670 OPS) (Does have 8 HR and 32 RBI, but still)
    Heyward: .237/.327/.328 (.655 OPS) (4 HR and 26 RBI, but on a monster offensive team where everyone gets on base)
    3. This team doesn't have Matt Wisler without the trades.

A good comp for this team if they had kept all of their players somehow would be the Detroit Tigers right now without the money the Tigers have and this is not a good place to be in considering the Braves essentially have a small market income for some reason (considering Atlanta is a big market). They'd have a mediocre team, no farm system, and no money to try to fix their issues if they didn't blow it up.

I clearly realize that Heyward and Upton are probably going to make me look bad and both have their normal seasons in the end, but they tried this team already in 2013-2014 and it did not work.

I hope someone else other than Liberty Media becomes the owner of the Braves by 2019.
    Heyward is the best defensive outfielder in baseball, his value is not all tied to his hitting. And Upton will never be a .300 hitter, but his power is DESPERATELY needed in that lineup. Aside from Freeman, no hitter has more than 5 HR and Upton would be leading team in RBI and his power numbers would be better as Atlanta is a better park for hitters. Upton averaged 30 HR/90RBI with a .265 avg in Atlanta.

And the Tigers are absolutely not a valid comparison. Neither Heyward or Upton have the kind of contract that Cabrera/Verlander have, and others like Victor Martinez make a ton of money. The Tigers have a payroll of nearly $100 million more than Atlanta. With those two hitters and Simmons, Atlanta would be paying ~$120 million, still ~$50 million less than Detroit.

And I'd gladly give up Wistler for Heyward/Upton. Wistler has three wins and an ERA above 4.00. Yes, he is only 23. But Heyward is only 26 (27 this year), Upton 28 (29 this yr). Hitters age better than starters, so there's a good chance those hitters are as productive in 10 yrs as Wistler is at 33.
    "Alabama's cornerbacks don't impress me one bit. They're overrated. Real men don't play zone defense and we'll show them a thing or two come January 1."

Miami WR Lamar Thomas, the weeks before the 1993 Sugar Bowl national title game.

UT - The University of TENNESSEE! TexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forumsTexasFight has a great deal of respect on the forums TexasFight's Avatar

I don't keep up with baseball, but I've been able to intuit from the Braves fans I know that they're stuck in a perpetual cycle of trading away their best players for young prospects, developing them and trading them away for young prospects. Do I have the truth of it? If so, that's no bueno. It's no wonder the franchise has been spinning its wheels for several years. If I were still a fan I'd be infuriated with the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasFight View Post
    I don't keep up with baseball, but I've been able to intuit from the Braves fans I know that they're stuck in a perpetual cycle of trading away their best players for young prospects, developing them and trading them away for young prospects. Do I have the truth of it? If so, that's no bueno. It's no wonder the franchise has been spinning its wheels for several years. If I were still a fan I'd be infuriated with the Braves.
    That's exactly what happens. Since the run in the 90s, Atlanta will keep one good player but trade away everyone else for prospects, have a 2-3 year window with said prospects, then trade everyone away for more prospects. The core of the team was Heyward, Upton, Freeman, Kimbrel and Simmons possibly Teheran. All of those guys were on decent deals and Simmons was under team control until 2019 IIRC making peanuts as best defender in baseball with some pop in his bat. And now, all but Freeman are gone.

I can see trading Kimbrel, closers are not as hard to find as power bats or insanely talented infielders, and even trading one of Hey/Upton, but deciding to pay BJ Upton an insane amount then refusing to do the same with quality players is dumb, esp when they traded away BJ anyway.

Its a joke, Atlanta isn't a small market team. The attendance isn't great, but if a team is opening up a controversial new ballpark, you damn well have a competitive team and not worst team in the NL.

Gunnery Sergeant Dawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg4life has a great deal of respect on the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bama_Man View Post
    Heyward is the best defensive outfielder in baseball, his value is not all tied to his hitting. And Upton will never be a .300 hitter, but his power is DESPERATELY needed in that lineup. Aside from Freeman, no hitter has more than 5 HR and Upton would be leading team in RBI and his power numbers would be better as Atlanta is a better park for hitters. Upton averaged 30 HR/90RBI with a .265 avg in Atlanta.

And the Tigers are absolutely not a valid comparison. Neither Heyward or Upton have the kind of contract that Cabrera/Verlander have, and others like Victor Martinez make a ton of money. The Tigers have a payroll of nearly $100 million more than Atlanta. With those two hitters and Simmons, Atlanta would be paying ~$120 million, still ~$50 million less than Detroit.

And I'd gladly give up Wistler for Heyward/Upton. Wistler has three wins and an ERA above 4.00. Yes, he is only 23. But Heyward is only 26 (27 this year), Upton 28 (29 this yr). Hitters age better than starters, so there's a good chance those hitters are as productive in 10 yrs as Wistler is at 33.
    This team would have a payroll that is less than 120 million even if they were "competing". Liberty Media doesn't want to raise the payroll, it'd be 110 million maximum. They were never going to throw down big contracts for Heyward and Upton.

It's not just even that. Due to having no farm system, they would have had to shell out two big contracts for starting pitching at a minimum and they would still be cutting it very close depth wise with their pitching. And I mean, they had NO farm system. They had maybe one or two pitchers they could have brought up and that's it after 2014. Here's your rotation without the trades:
    1. Julio Teheran
    2. Alex Wood (started to look better for the Dodgers but has gotten injured)
    3. 20 million dollar contract that Liberty media was never paying
    4. 20 million dollar contract that Liberty media was never paying
    5. David Hale (Shelled in AAA last I looked)

6. Williams Perez

That's it. NO depth pitching wise without trades, and this is without even looking at the rest of the lineup.
    Georgia sports are like Charlie Brown. They will always tease you, and then Lucy will take that football up away from Charlie and he'll flip upside down, saying "Oh brother".

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg4life View Post
    This team would have a payroll that is less than 120 million even if they were "competing". Liberty Media doesn't want to raise the payroll, it'd be 110 million maximum. They were never going to throw down big contracts for Heyward and Upton.

It's not just even that. Due to having no farm system, they would have had to shell out two big contracts for starting pitching at a minimum and they would still be cutting it very close depth wise with their pitching. And I mean, they had NO farm system. They had maybe one or two pitchers they could have brought up and that's it after 2014. Here's your rotation without the trades:
    1. Julio Teheran
    2. Alex Wood (started to look better for the Dodgers but has gotten injured)
    3. 20 million dollar contract that Liberty media was never paying
    4. 20 million dollar contract that Liberty media was never paying
    5. David Hale (Shelled in AAA last I looked)

6. Williams Perez

That's it. NO depth pitching wise without trades, and this is without even looking at the rest of the lineup.
    I agree that the Liberty ggroup isn't willing to pay more than $100-120mil in payroll, but the farm system was not as bad as you make it seem.
    Lucas Sims was one of the top ranked arms in 2014, he was best player in the ATL system ahead of LaStella and Bethancourt. Other arms like Cabrera, Graham and Hursch were decent prospects. I would've accepted trading Hey or Upton as well as Kimbrel, but I can't understand the logic behind trading both of them plus Simmons. trading Simmons was a knife in the gut, he was young, immensely talented and had a team friendly deal thru 2019.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast