Carly Fiorina has faced the reality of her next-to-last place finish in the New Hampshire Republican primary by suspending her campaign. She probably entered the race one election cycle too late. She might have been able to defeat the humdrum campaign of Mitt Romney.

Carly Fiorina, one of only two women in the U.S. presidential race, quit her quixotic pursuit of the White House on Wednesday after a seventh-place New Hampshire primary finish in a field of eight candidates.

And Chris Christie's faltering presidential campaign is expected to wrap up by day's end.

Fiorina, a former Hewlett-Packard CEO who will be remembered for crossing swords with front-runner Donald Trump over her physical appearance, never caught on with her defiant drumbeat taking shots at 'the status quo.'

'This campaign was always about citizenship—taking back our country from a political class that only serves the big, the powerful, the wealthy, and the well connected,' she said in a statement.

'Election after election, the same empty promises are made and the same poll-tested stump speeches are given, but nothing changes. I've said throughout this campaign that I will not sit down and be quiet. I'm not going to start now. While I suspend my candidacy today, I will continue to travel this country and fight for those Americans who refuse to settle for the way things are and a status quo that no longer works for them.'

Fiorina took one last shot at Democratic contender Hillary Clinton, kicking her while she was down after a stunning defeat in New Hampshire.

'To young girls and women across the country, I say: do not let others define you,' Fiorina wrote. 'Do not listen to anyone who says you have to vote a certain way or for a certain candidate because you're a woman. That is not feminism.'