+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: CBS ranks the SEC coaches

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

CBS ranks the SEC coaches

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ches-from-14-1

Whether you agree with the premise that the SEC is the best conference in college football or not, it's hard to argue that it's better than most. A key reason for this is the talent within the league, but there's also the fraternity of coaches within it.

Make no mistake, there are some very good coaches in the SEC -- coaches that have won a lot of games, and a few national titles to boot. Every coach in the SEC West will make $4 million this season, including whoever finishes last in the division.

So, who is the best of the bunch? And who is the worst?

These are not the easiest questions to answer -- OK, maybe the second question was not too painful -- but that didn't stop me from trying to figure it out. I was successful, too, and since I'm such a caring, giving person, I decided to share the answers with you.

I think you'll find my rankings to be 100 percent accurate, and you'll agree with every single thing I say. That's the way these things work, right? No one ever complains.

14. Derek Mason, Vanderbilt: Mason has the toughest job in the conference no matter what James Franklin did before him. It's one thing to have success, it's another to sustain it, and Mason is having trouble sustaining Franklin's success. Until he wins a conference game, it's hard to argue placing him anywhere else on this list.

13. Mark Stoops, Kentucky: Stoops starts this low because he had no head coaching experience before Kentucky, and in his first two seasons he's gone 2-14 in SEC play. That said, the Wildcats did improve from two wins to five wins last season, and if that kind of improvement continues, Stoops will climb up these rankings.

12. Jim McElwain, Florida: McElwain hasn't coached a single game at Florida, but he still finishes ahead of Mason and Stoops due to their lack of success thus far. Plus, McElwain's had success as a head coach elsewhere. He went 22-16 at Colorado State (10-2 last year), and he also spent four very successful seasons as Alabama's offensive coordinator before that.

11. Bret Bielema, Arkansas: Bielema has three Big Ten titles from his time at Wisconsin, and the Razorbacks have high hopes for 2015. It's just that the first two seasons at Arkansas weren't great. While finishing the 2014 season with a 7-6 record was nice, the Hogs are still 2-14 in SEC play. Until that record improves it's hard to justify putting Bielema any higher than this on the list.

10. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State: Coaching in Starkville is not easy, but Mullen's done an admirable job. Having five winning seasons in six years isn't something to dismiss, but last season was the first time the Bulldogs had a winning record in conference play. It was also the first time they finished higher than fourth in the SEC West. Now, if Mullen has another 10-win season in 2015, he's going to climb a few more people on this list. Right now? He has to settle for 10th.

9. Butch Jones, Tennessee: This was a very close call between Jones and Mullen for the ninth spot, but I went with Jones. In his two seasons at Tennessee, he's only 12-13 (5-11 in SEC), and that's not very good. That said, I didn't want to ignore Jones' coaching success before coming to Tennessee, as he has four conference titles from his six seasons with Central Michigan and Cincinnati. He's also put together some terrific recruiting classes since coming to Knoxville, and there are likely brighter days ahead on old Rocky Top.

8. Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss: Freeze is straddling the middle ground here. He's never had a losing season at Ole Miss, and he's put together some very strong recruiting classes, but at the same time he hasn't had any major success, either. Last season was the first time the Rebels had a winning conference record under Freeze at 5-3, and he's 11-13 against SEC foes in his three seasons. The good news is that the Rebels have improved by one win each season under the guy that was portrayed as a worse coach than Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side, and should that trend continue, he'll climb.

7. Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M: If this were 2013, Sumlin would be a lot higher on this list, as he'd be coming off a debut season in the SEC in which his Aggies went 11-2 and he helped Johnny Manziel win a Heisman Trophy. The problem is, as magical as that season was, the Aggies have regressed each season since. In the last two seasons, A&M has gone 7-9 in conference play thanks in large part to a defense that's been quite friendly to its opponents. It's hard to win in the SEC as it is, but it's even more difficult with a bad defense. So unless the Aggies can figure out a way to fix that -- and hiring John Chavis and recruiting studs like Myles Garrett is a good way to do it -- Sumlin could find himself sliding even further down this list. Personally, I like Sumlin's chances at getting things headed in the right direction.

6. Gary Pinkel, Missouri: Pinkel is a really good coach, but he still can't crack the top five, even if I wanted to put him there. This is a man that's been around at Missouri seemingly forever (or since 2001) after spending a decade at Toledo. He's one of those coaches that isn't looking to leave, and considering the results he's gotten on the field, his bosses are always happy to have him around. After a rough introduction to SEC life in 2012, Pinkel's Tigers adjusted and went 23-5 (14-2 in conference) the last two seasons and won consecutive SEC East titles. Odds are if he wants to get higher on this list, he's going to have to get over the conference title hump (between the Big 12 and SEC, Pinkel's teams have won five division championships, but no conference championships), and I'm not going to put it past him to do so.

5. Gus Malzahn, Auburn: Malzahn only has three seasons as a head coach under his belt, but he's done quite a bit in those years. In his lone season at Arkansas State, he won the Sun Belt. Then he came back to Auburn, taking over a team that went 0-8 in conference play the previous season, and won the SEC in his first year. That same season, he had Auburn playing for a national title, but the Tigers fell three points short of Florida State after a Kelvin Benjamin touchdown with 13 seconds left.

Things didn't go so well last season, as the Tigers finished 8-5, but now we head into 2015 with plenty of people believing this team will win the SEC West yet again thanks to an improved defense. After all, it takes a good coach to recognize his weaknesses and address them. And that's why Malzahn hired Will Muschamp to fix the defense.

4. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina: The Head Ball Coach is coming off a down season with the Gamecocks, and he hasn't won the SEC East since 2010 (his only division title with the Cocks). You know what, though? He still went 33-6 from 2011-13, and he still has that national title and six conference titles from his time at Florida. Oh, and he won an ACC title at Duke once, too. He may be entering the twilight of his career, and the glory days might be behind him, but his accomplishments still stand, and they're enough to get him fourth on this list. And who knows, The Shirtless Wonder may still have a surprise or two left up his sleeve before he goes.

3. Mark Richt, Georgia: When it comes to Richt, people spend too much time focusing on what he hasn't done rather than what he has. The man has coached 184 games with the Bulldogs and he has won 136 of them . He has won two SEC titles (the only two Georgia has won in the past 32 years) and five SEC East crowns. The only thing he has been guilty of has been coaching in a conference that has been the home of some of the best coaches and teams in the country the past 20 years.

2. Les Miles, LSU: However you choose to feel about Miles -- and oh boy, do people feel a lot of different ways about The Mad Hatter -- the man has accomplished quite a bit as a head coach. Yes, LSU had a bad season for LSU last year, finishing 8-5, but the thing about that is that 8-5 qualifies as a horrible season for Miles at LSU. He's only had two such seasons there.

Overall, in his 10 seasons in Baton Rouge, Miles' teams have won at least 10 games in a single campaign seven times. He's won a national championship, played for another, and has two SEC titles. He also likes to eat grass and speak in tongues from time to time. Whether you think he's a genius or just insane, it works for him.

1. Nick Saban, Alabama: There really wasn't any other choice for this spot. It says a lot about what Saban has done at Alabama that when the Tide go two years without winning a national title you start to wonder if Saban's losing "it." Putting aside the fact that Saban has won four national championships and five SEC titles as a coach, though, there's another fact about Saban that blows my mind.

Think about how powerful the SEC has been since the dawn of the BCS era. Now realize that in his 13 seasons as an SEC coach, he's lost only 23 SEC games. That's right, in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country, Saban has managed to win 77 percent of the time. Hell, at Alabama he's only lost 11 SEC games in eight seasons. That's just ridiculous.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

Moderator JRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forumsJRS has a great deal of respect on the forums JRS's Avatar

Re: CBS ranks the SEC coaches

OBC needs to be higher. What he's done at SC is just short of a miracle.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Hog Dude View Post
    That list is a joke. Bielema has three conference titles in eight years as a head coach.
    In the Big 10, which is a joke. I am especially impressed with the last of his titles. What was their record 8-5?

However, I would have him slightly higher.

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    In the Big 10, which is a joke. I am especially impressed with the last of his titles. What was their record 8-5?

However, I would have him slightly higher.
    The Big Ten went 2-2 against the SEC last bowl season.

Administrator Dawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forumsDawg in Dallas has a great deal of respect on the forums Dawg in Dallas's Avatar

Yet last season, Bert was in the SEC, not the Big 10...

Was their record 8-5 in that awesome "championship" yearin his final season, I can't recall?

Major Just Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forumsJust Some Hog Dude has a great deal of respect on the forums Just Some Hog Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg in Dallas View Post
    Yet last season, Bert was in the SEC, not the Big 10...

Was their record 8-5 in that awesome "championship" yearin his final season, I can't recall?
    I don't know, but it seems like Licky has lost multiple bowl games to the Big Ten in the last few years. Haha, I think Licky lost a bowl game to that Nebraska team that Coach B smoked in the Big 10 title game.

Master Sergeant zud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forumszud the hut has a great deal of respect on the forums zud the hut's Avatar

It isn't a bad list. And he attached some logic to his formulation.
    Trick Magnet The Hut Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Hog Dude View Post
    I don't know, but it seems like Licky has lost multiple bowl games to the Big Ten in the last few years. Haha, I think Licky lost a bowl game to that Nebraska team that Coach B smoked in the Big 10 title game.
    I was wrong, they finished the year 8-6, including a loss to Nebraska in the regular season. Mighty impressive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast