+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MK down in LA

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Re: MK down in LA

Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Hog Dude View Post
    You should move to Memphis if you want to become a Southerner.
    Out of all cities, really? I thought you'd say Little Rock.

"Ya'll" is starting to creep into my vocabulary & this weekend I plan on attending my first church service in a long, long time.

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

This past weekend I took a short trip over to Orange, TX. Being that I enjoy outdoors/nature/plants, I visited the Shangri La Botannical Gardens. Absolutely beautiful. The gardens are very well maintained and expansive. Quite a variety for everyone - flowers, plants, vegetable gardens, trees, etc. What I found most interested was the cypress trees. I saw weeping cypress and bald cypress. Each reminded me of my visit to Arkansas last year, as I saw them frequently. To boot, the weather was gorgeous! A nice, warm and humid day. All in all it was a nice day. I would definitely return. My parents are into plants and nature. If they visit, this might be a day out.

On a side note, I guess I am an official Louisianan. Today I went to the DMV to obtain my LA title, registration, and license plate. Surprisingly, a pain free experience. Only downside is now I am a few hundred $ poorer because of taxes and fees. :( Such is life!

Resident Paleocon deterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forums deterp's Avatar

Why did you have to pay taxes???

Haven't forgotten you. The guru likes your company so we're watching.
    Glad you had a great weekend and are getting out and exploring.

Thanks, De.

Louisiana has a law where vehicles registered in the state for the first time have to pay "use" tax or "road" tax. It is basically sales tax. This is based on the current value of the vehicle. Depending on where one lives & what state the car is coming from, it can be as high as 9%. However, LA has reciprocity agreements with other states. With PA, which is where I bought my car a few years ago, I received 6% credit. So I only had to pay 3%. Not sure what the value of my car is. The woman did not say. I would say I lucked out. People coming from states that do not charge sales tax & who drive expensive cars get hit hard. Actually, that is also how registration is calculated - value of the vehicle. It's interesting. Now all I have left is to have my car safety inspected.... for $10. I'll take that! No emissions test where I live, only for counties in and around Baton Rouge. I'll take that too because I've paid $65 for PA safety + emissions. What a rip!

Resident Paleocon deterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forums deterp's Avatar

What a rip!
    Truth. In spades. Remind me never to move to La.

We pay sales tax. We pay a flat fee for plates or renewal stickers. Currently $121 a year. We have emissions testing in parts of the state, "urban areas" like Metro Chi, Rockford, St. Louis 'burbs on the east side of the river. But never do we pay for that test nor do we have inspections to pay for.

Learn something strange every day.

Gunnery Sergeant dnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forums dnmuga93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deterp View Post
    Truth. In spades. Remind me never to move to La.

We pay sales tax. We pay a flat fee for plates or renewal stickers. Currently $121 a year. We have emissions testing in parts of the state, "urban areas" like Metro Chi, Rockford, St. Louis 'burbs on the east side of the river. But never do we pay for that test nor do we have inspections to pay for.

Learn something strange every day.
    Georgia has finally gotten with the times and eliminated the ad valorem tax on new vehicles. We just bought a 2015 F250 for the farm and paid a one time TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) based on the value of the vehicle. Now, it will cost me $20 for renewing the license plate. My older cars will still carry ad valorem on them.

No emissions testing in north GA either; that is reserved for metro Atlanta only.

Captain Really Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forumsReally Big Bama Fan has a great deal of respect on the forums Really Big Bama Fan's Avatar

Some folks think that every state should be the same...

Gunnery Sergeant dnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forums dnmuga93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    One of the very few things there should be a national standard for is summer blend gasoline.

It is absolutely insane that there are 27 different summer blends of fuel; switching the refineries over to make it drives fuel prices sky high in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Really Big Bama Fan View Post
    Yeah. I'm not in that boat. I prefer states to decide whether vehicles should have safety and/or emissions tests. IMO it'd be a disaster if the federal government was in control of that.

Quote Originally Posted by dnmuga93 View Post
    One of the very few things there should be a national standard for is summer blend gasoline.

It is absolutely insane that there are 27 different summer blends of fuel; switching the refineries over to make it drives fuel prices sky high in the spring.
    Amen, dnmuga. Down here gas has gone up about 40-45 cents since I moved. We're talking 5 weeks...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast