+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 PGA Tour Season Thread

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

2015 PGA Tour Season Thread

First event of the year begins tomorrow, the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, from Kapalua, HI.

No Tiger just yet. Apparently he will be making his season debut at the Waste Management Open in Phoenix, AZ, on January 29:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-d...5408-golf.html

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Post Re: 2015 PGA Tour Season Thread

Patrick Reed is your 2015 Hyundai Tournament of Champions winner!

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...mpions-playoff

"KAPALUA, Hawaii -- Patrick Reed never thought he had a serious chance to win at Kapalua until he stood over an 18-foot birdie putt in a playoff Monday.

Like so many other times in his young career, he didn't waste it.

Four shots behind with four holes to play, Reed made two birdies, holed an 80-yard shot for eagle and got just enough help from Jimmy Walker to win the Hyundai Tournament of Champions for his fourth career PGA Tour victory.

More from ESPN.com

Patrick Reed needed help to claim his fourth PGA Tour win, but he had some assistance from Jimmy Walker down the stretch at Kapalua. ESPN.com's staff discusses the win. Story

"I thought my chances were slim," Reed said. "So I was just thinking to myself, 'Let's try to birdie three of the last four and get ourselves a chance to secure second alone, and give ourselves a chance -- just maybe."

A two-putt birdie on the par-5 15th. The wedge he holed on the 16th for eagle. And after a three-putt from 100 feet just off the green at 17 slowed his momentum, Reed two-putted for birdie from 80 feet on the par-5 18th for a 6-under 67.

Then it was up to Walker, who appeared to have control until he tried to play it safe off the tee on the short par-4 14th and found a bunker, leading to his first bogey in 33 holes at Kapalua. Walker twice missed birdie putts inside 10 feet, and he missed an 18-foot birdie putt for the win in regulation.

He closed with a 69 to join Reed at 21-under 271.

In the playoff, Walker's chip went over the green, and he had a 6-foot par putt that he never had to hit when Reed made his winning putt.

"It was there for me to win," Walker said. "It was a bummer I didn't close the door on it."

Reed, 24, joined some elite company as the fifth player in the past 25 years to win at least four times on the PGA Tour before turning 25. The others were Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson.

"Everyone is trying to get to the best in the world," Reed said. "But that's going to take a long time. It's nothing that happens overnight."

The trick is to win, and Reed already has shown he has that knack with his fourth win in his past 35 starts on the PGA Tour. But it was his first victory since the World Golf Championship at Doral, where he caused a stir by saying he was among the top five players in the world.

This moved him to a career-best No. 14, although he was more interested in what he could do to get better.

Jason Day became the second player on Monday to tie the Plantation Course record with a 62 -- Chris Kirk shot 62 earlier in the day as the first player out. Day posted a 20-under 272, although that score never looked as though it would be enough. Russell Henley closed with five straight birdies for a 67 to join Day at 272.

They were joined by Hideki Matsuyama, tied with Walker at the start of the final round. The 22-year-old from Japan also felt as though he lost a good opportunity to win. He had birdie chances on the last four holes and missed them all to shoot 70.

Walker and Matsuyama were locked in a spirited duel over the front nine until Walker landed what appeared to be a knockout punch. He holed a 20-foot birdie putt on No. 8, hit a great fairway metal from a downhill lie onto the green at the par-5 ninth for a two-putt birdie and then made a 10-foot putt at the 10th for his third straight birdie.

That gave him a three-shot lead over Matsuyama, and he kept that margin stepping to the 14th tee.

It all changed so quickly.

Walker ended his bogey-free streak when he tried to play conservatively off the tee at the 14th by hitting a 4-iron. It sailed right into a bunker, and he went over the green and missed a short par putt.

In the group ahead of him, Reed birdied the par-5 15th and suddenly took a share of the lead by holing a wedge from 80 yards out for eagle on the 16th hole.

"I walked to 17 tee and heard that Jimmy was at 21 (under) as well," Reed said. "I was like, 'Oh, wow.'"

Just like that, it was a sprint to the finish.

Reed looked as if he had wasted his big surge when he three-putted for bogey from just off the green 100 feet away, lipping out his 4-foot par attempt. But he reached the front of the 18th in two shots for a two-putt birdie.

It gave him a chance, and that was all Reed needed.

"I can't do anything about him. I can't control that," Walker said. "I can control what I was doing, and I wasn't doing my job."

Copyright 2015 by The Associated Press"

Congrats to this kid. 5 wins before he turns 25. Remarkable accomplishment right there.

The Mouth of the South GDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forums GDawg88's Avatar

Re: 2015 PGA Tour Season Thread

Reed is a killer. He helped my alma mater win two national championships, and he was undefeated in match play both years playing against other schools' No. 1 golfer. I can't wait until he breaks through and wins a major. It won't be long.

Gunnery Sergeant dnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forumsdnmuga93 has a great deal of respect on the forums dnmuga93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GDawg88 View Post
    Reed is a killer. He helped my alma mater win two national championships, and he was undefeated in match play both years playing against other schools' No. 1 golfer. I can't wait until he breaks through and wins a major. It won't be long.
    If he could have kept his attitude in check and his mouth shut, he'd never have been in Augusta. He'd have still been in Athens.

And UGA has at least one more national title...

The Mouth of the South GDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forumsGDawg88 has a great deal of respect on the forums GDawg88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnmuga93 View Post
    If he could have kept his attitude in check and his mouth shut, he'd never have been in Augusta. He'd have still been in Athens.

And UGA has at least one more national title...
    Reed is cocky. It's part of what's made him so good.

But you're right, he definitely would have swung the title for UGA in 2011. Scary to think of that team if they had Reed, Russell Henley, and Harris English.

Definitely a young talent. He played swell in the Ryder Cup for the Americans last fall. Right now is time for a young talent to grab the scene on Tour. IMO golf right now is missing the type of player like Tiger Woods of 10 years ago, a guy who revolutionizes the game. I think Reed is a candidate to be the next great player. People may argue McIlroy is the guy to beat, but he's not as dominant or impressive as Tiger was, IMO. The flashes Reed has shown provide promise for him in 2015. No doubt Reed is capable of winning Majors and other tournaments week-to-week.

Preview for this weekend's Phoenix Waste Management Open. Tiger returns!

http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/...-at-scottsdale

"Tiger Woods makes his eagerly-awaited return to action in the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

Woods hasn’t played the event since the turn of the century and it’s one of the rare tournaments to have eluded him, although many will remember that famous hole in one on the par-three 16th hole as Tiger announced himself on the scene way back in 1997.

Sky Bet make Woods a 20/1 chance and for a player who has won around 25% of his starts across a near 20-year career, you can certainly argue that he’s worth chancing. However, to win he’ll have to chip and putt a lot better than when trailing home in last place in the Hero World Challenge, some 26 shots adrift of winner Jordan Spieth.
    Live PGA Tour Golf
    2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open: Day One

January 29, 2015, 8:00pm
    Sky Sports 4

Remote Record

Get a Sky Sports Pass
    Upgrade to Sky Sports

Spieth also adds lustre to the event as he makes his seasonal return while Rickie Fowler, who ventured over to the European Tour in January, bids for a second PGA Tour title at a course where he should’ve won his first back in 2010.

Fowler was beaten by Hunter Mahan that day and a repeat is perfectly possible, with Mahan’s ball-striking having returned to the sort of level which saw him win The Barclays last September.

The Texan, a 40/1 shot, is a driver who was also fourth here last year and the comprehensive changes to TPC Scottsdale, which should make things a little tougher, shouldn’t stop him from playing well.

Billy Horschel caught the eye last week and is another with the tee-to-green brilliance to win here.

The reigning FedEx Cup champion would’ve finished much closer to Bill Haas in the Humana Challenge but for a nine at the par-five 14th hole, but he’s proven capable of bouncing back from disappointment before and this is a good venue for him to do just that.

There’s European interest in the event thanks chiefly to Ryder Cup star Jamie Donaldson and Italy’s Francesco Molinari and both have compelling profiles.

The latter is basing himself in the US until May and has made a tidy start to the campaign, one which he can build on at a course which has historically favourite solid drivers of the ball.

Donaldson meanwhile looks a big price given his career trajectory and the fact that the re-designed layout should represent a level playing field. The same could’ve been said of Doral last year and it’s therefore telling that Donaldson challenged for the title there, since which time he’s taken his career to the next level.

Finally, Harris English is really hitting the ball well and has gone well at Scottsdale before. He finished in the frame in Hawaii a fortnight ago and big things are expected both this week and for the rest of the season.

Live coverage of the Phoenix Open gets underway on Thursday at 8pm on Sky Sports 4 - your home of golf."

Jason Day prevails in playoff to win the Farmers Insurance Open.

Anyone watching the Valspar Open this weekend?

Corporal Reb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forumsReb32 has a great deal of respect on the forums Reb32's Avatar

I've been watching all four days. I have found my new favorite golfer while watching. Phil Mickleson has always been my favorite golfer ever since he broke out in 1992. I think Phil's days are all but over. I really like this new kid, Jordan Spieth. I think he will be the next big time player.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast