+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food from your state

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Cool Food from your state

I'm on a culinary mission. Looking to cook main and/or side dishes from each of the 50 states. Specifically, food that originated in the state, or what the state is distinctly know for. For example, crabs or blue crabs for Maryland (crab cakes, crab imperial, etc.). Sounds straightforward, but may be a little challenging because there is much overlap among states for some foods. e.g. fried chicken, collard greens, BBQ are all common throughout the South, so it's difficult to pinpoint for one state.

So if ya'll have any suggestions, ideas or recipes, I'd be interested to hear. Anything uncommon would be great.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm starting with Alabama. So far in my searches I've found - Tuskegee soup, Hoppin' John, peanut butter cornbread, Greenville spice cake, and cheese straws. Can any Alabamians please confirm or refute any of these?

Oilfield Trash RedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forumsRedNekTiger has a great deal of respect on the forums RedNekTiger's Avatar
    All of you can go to Hell, I am going to Texas.

Re: Food from your state

I will cover three states..............

West Virginia - Man, they aint got much. Best thing about the food up there was the pepperoni rolls. The other options I can think of would be apple butter, buckwheat pancakes and ramps, which is is a wild leek that is pretty damn good.

Texas - Where to start? Chili, BBQ, steaks, Tex-Mex..........all are great. To me, these foods say Texas to me - chicken fried steak (pan fried) with cream gravy and mashed potatoes, smoked brisket, King Ranch casserole and kolaches. For dessert, Blue Bell Ice Cream Homemade Vanilla. And wash all that down with a Dr. Pepper or a Shiner beer.

Louisiana - The epitome of great eating. I am going to address this in 3 sections, because Louisiana has three distinct culinary regions. First, Creole, or New Orleans style - To represent this, I would say start with the dish that is one of the best ways to start a day, cafe au lait and beignets. A good po-boy on Gambino's bread is always great. For a full meal, I would start with some oysters en brochette as an appetizer, a crawfish bisque for the soup, with shrimp creole and maque choux as the main. As a fancy dessert, bananas foster, and as a fun dessert, king cake of course. Try a sazerac after dinner for a cocktail.

For Cajun - From boiled crawfish to a cochon de lait, there are so manhy options. Boiled crawfish is probably the most recognizable Cajun food. Other good options would be crawfish jambalya, or gumbo, either seafood or chicken and sausage. Alligator would be a good "exotic" dish, my favorite two ways are fired or in a sauce piquant. For dessert, some fresh Satsuma oranges and wash it all down with an Abita. There are so many other options out there I could go on for pages.

For North Louisiana - this is more a blend of cajun and traditional southern cuisine. And fried is king! I would recommend a seafood platter with fried oysters, fried shrimp and fried catfish, with fried hush puppies and fried okra. Throw some cornbread slapped with butter on the side, then finish up with pecan pie and Ruston peach cobbler. Since this is the buckle of the Bible belt, wash it down with some good old sweet tea.

No matter which way you go, try some Community Coffee after you finish. I recommend the medium-dark cafe special blend.

And that is what you get when you ask a fat kid about food.
    Yes, THAT damn cool.

"I don't get it. If the educational system has been adjusted to cater to women, why are there still so many stupid ones?" - Wronghorns January 23, 2006

RedNekTiger - The Anti-Metrosexual - mngvol March 7, 2007

Speaking about the Holy Bible - "Yes I agree should not be taken literally." -swampmonster July 7, 2008

I love Cocks!!! - Rebel5AC March 18, 2010

When I wake up in the morning and I turn that film on, it's like reading a book and it's exciting. I don't read books, but if I read books it would be like reading a book. - Les Miles.

Resident Paleocon deterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forums deterp's Avatar

A really, truly Chicago dog, not the Pink's version! and, like Wisconsin, sausage in many forms. You could add most anything from the "Lutheran Church Women's Basement Cookbook" of Garrison Keillor fame excepting the fresh whitefish.
    "The people should have as little to do as may be about the government. They lack information and are constantly liable to be misled."

U.S. Rep Roger Sherman

Master Gunnery Sergeant ugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forumsugabrad has a great deal of respect on the forums

Washington state: Dungeness crab and salmon (smoked salmon is the traditional method of serving it). The state is also well known for produce such as its apples, cherries (Rainier cherry being a local version), berries, potatoes (rivals Idaho in volume), wheat, grapes (excellent wines) as well as being a major dairy and beef producer.
    Go Dawgs!

Administrator Herchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forumsHerchel has a great deal of respect on the forums Herchel's Avatar

The latest fad from GA seems to be shrimp and grits. Brunswick stew originated in Brunswick, GA.
    Last edited by Herchel; 09-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
    Deo Vindice

"Put a federal agency in charge of the Sahara Desert and it will run out of sand".

Peggy Noonan

"One idiot is an idiot. Two idiots are two idiots. Ten thousand idiots are a political party."

Franz Kafka

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” — W.C. Fields

Administrator Storm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forumsStorm has a great deal of respect on the forums Storm's Avatar

Skyline Chili

Moderator MKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forumsMKfromPA has a great deal of respect on the forums MKfromPA's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Food from your state

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Ya'll are awesome!

Resident Paleocon deterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forumsdeterp has a great deal of respect on the forums deterp's Avatar

Got to add deep dish pizza.
    "The people should have as little to do as may be about the government. They lack information and are constantly liable to be misled."

U.S. Rep Roger Sherman

Master Gunnery Sergeant boxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forumsboxvic has a great deal of respect on the forums boxvic's Avatar

BBQ Mutton
    -----------------------
    Trump is going to raise my taxes. Thank you o'sanctified one, all I've ever wanted was a tax increase!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast