+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here or the pro football forum

Lance Corporal Spock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forumsSpock has a great deal of respect on the forums Spock's Avatar

Re: Here or the pro football forum

This ain't your father's single wing. The concept has evolved dramatically from the 50s. Alabama regularly ran direct snaps to the WR in motion. Much like Malzhan's spread offense evolved from the Delaware wing T. The writing is on the wall given that 3 pocket passing QBs have just transferred from Alabama. Watch Alabama continue to expand the HUNH and use the read option to leverage their talent. Tua is proof that Alabama is committed to the dual threat QB, which back in the day was simply known as a HB/QB.

Quote Originally Posted by rstew3 View Post
    You and I have different definitions of single wing. I agree some plays may have had a single-wing type look and feel, but that's what I meant about Kiffin throwing in some creativity.

My definition of a single wing offense would be a offensive base set where most plays are designed run plays and where you can have multiple backs in the set behind the line including the QB. RB, HB, TE, etc.., direct snapping to the one that is going to run, with the others including the QB on some plays, being blockers. What Kiffin ran may have looked like a single wing formation, but I would consider it more of a read-option out of a shotgun set with the TE playing a step behind the line in some formations. I don't recall ever seeing any designed plays where Hurst was a blocker.

Long story short, Kiffen took the talent that he had to work with, and got creative with plays that suited the skillset, but he still had a base formation that he worked out of, and I don't believe that was the single wing. In addition, Kiffin did with Hurts exactly what he did with Crompton at TN, with Crompton not being near as mobile. Hurts did not have a good down the field passing game, so the passes were called to be quick easy throws that picked up small chunks of yards. Enough to keep the D honest. At the right times, either designed run plays from Hurts, or triple read-option plays were called allowing Hurts to break out. He just happened to show he was more lethal as a runner than passer, and those plays are what most people remember from him.

As much as Saban desired change, and for the most part let Kiffin add his wrinkles, I don't see Saban going to much further toward a HUNH, read-option type offense than that. I think it was painfully obvious when Saban wanted Kiffin to just run the damn ball with the power back he had.
    Logic gets you from A to Z, curiosity takes you everywhere else

Moderator ECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forumsECDawg78 has a great deal of respect on the forums

Re: Here or the pro football forum

Multiple sources have confirmed to SB Nation that after meetings with Alabama head coach Nick Saban following the Championship, the relationship between Saban and Sarkisian deteriorated amid disagreements in “system philosophy,” per one source. Both parties planned to move on following Signing Day last Wednesday, and Saban was aware of Sarkisian’s contact with the Falcons.

One source described the problems between Sarkisian and Saban as “too similar” to the relationship between Saban and former coordinator Kiffin.

“There was an effort on Saban’s part not to repeat the same problem. This wasn’t going to work out,” a source close to Sarkisian told SB Nation.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ala...leave-alabama/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12