Remember when (re: Urban).... [Archive] - SEC Sports Forum | SEC Basketball | SEC Football

PDA

View Full Version : Remember when (re: Urban)....

GatorMan32
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
he kept talking about, even as he accepted the OSU job, how he'd been sick but was feeling better?

ITG: What was it like to be a Gator in 2010 with all the drama surrounding Meyer?

Kitchens: "We didn't really understand what was going on fully. We had a gist, an idea, but we didn't really understand what was going on. I can remember having a meeting with him, and Coach Meyer telling us he was going to be leaving. Everybody was upset because he came back for our class, to recruit us and now he's going to leave? He told us right before he released it to the press. I remember there was a big uproar. Everyone was mad. One of the players stood up to defend him like, 'The man is really sick. Calm down.' But then he told us, 'Whoa, whoa, I'm not sick.' Everybody got quiet and looked at him like, 'Well then why are you leaving?' We never really got an answer from that."

ITG: Was it weird to see him pop up on ESPN and then at Ohio State?

Kitchens: "It put a bitter taste in our mouths. What he told us before he left was that he was never going to coach again. He said he was never going to coach again. He was supposed to be sick. He wanted to retire because he wanted to be there for his kids and have time for his family. His daughter was in college, his kid was playing baseball and he made it seem like he wanted to be a family man and save time for his family. But then he's on ESPN and then he's coaching Ohio State."

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1613457

Makes you wonder how recruits or anyone else takes his word seriously any more. He played up the health angle for two years (final one at UF and the one at ESPN) while admitting to the team he wasn't sick).

Heck Pup
02-25-2014, 03:25 PM
This guy recruited a bunch on "on the edge" players that very very talented, then lost control of them. End of story.

Herchel
02-25-2014, 04:37 PM
he kept talking about, even as he accepted the OSU job, how he'd been sick but was feeling better?

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1613457

Makes you wonder how recruits or anyone else takes his word seriously any more. He played up the health angle for two years (final one at UF and the one at ESPN) while admitting to the team he wasn't sick).

I tried to tell you when he had the fake chest pains after the SECCG. :raz:

GatorMan32
02-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Didn't know he was such a fan of Sanford and sons.

Herchel
02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Well, GMan, I will continue my descent into unlikeability.

I have learned in my years at SECF that I am an anachronism. My time has past. I was raised in the Old South, where honor was #1. That was drilled into me from day one.
In the majority generation here, no matter how big the scumbag a player or coach is, as long as he is your player or coach, he is fine, and the objectors are haters. I have learned to recognize this as reality, but it pains me greatly. I will let it go now.

GatorMan32
02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Well if we're being all serious about this, a few thoughts. 1-I realize you don't know me beyond this board but people who know me will tell you I am honest to a fault. Maybe because I've been surrounded by liars my whole life but I put an absolute premium on honesty in life and hold myself accountable to that. I think each person should hold them selves to that standard and then things would get better. You cannot be responsible to hold others, especially those you don't know to it. So it cannot effect your life or the things you enjoy because others are not those sort of people. That gives them more power than they deserve. I enjoy Florida athletics as a diversion from real life so if I start letting the fact that Urban turned out to be a scumbag ruin it for me, he gets more power over me than I am good with. At the time I knew he was pompous and had an ego, but I had no reason to believe he was such a liar. Once I did know I freely admitted I was wrong. I have nothing more I can do.

I have also been one to call for guys to be kicked off the team where I believed it was warranted. However I do not control those decisions and it won't make me love my school or teams less. That gives those people making decisions power over how I enjoy things, etc. For what end?

Last thought, it is hardly knew that people are cheats, liars and scumbags. Its just more public now. In the good old days there was plenty of scumbags too. You not being one does not mean they were not there and just as corrupt. Its a credit to you that you have morals and I do not hate you for that. I admire it. On certain things we just differ how it should effect someone because others aren't.

Heck Pup
02-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I can't fault the ol' GMan for standing behind Corch Urbin Meyers. Better late than never to realize Urbs was such a dirty, lying, SOB.

That crap he pulled with the "chest pains" after UF's SECCG loss was just downright pathetic. It was like Saban had crushed his ego to the point he was unable to deal with it mentally. Meyer actually believed he was the greatest coach in college football, and by having to face the fact he might NOT have been, he was unable to cope. Saban literally greased up Corch's cerebral cortex and mind f***ed him into an early retirement. Afterward, even Corch's dad said something like "He just doesn't handle losing well".

WouldE
03-06-2014, 06:56 AM
The way I see it; people deal with stress in different ways--coaching a major CFB program is no doubt high stress. I think UM didn't know how to deal with that stress and that's what caused him to resign at UF. After some time off he was able to step back and rethink how he did things.

No way anyone knew what was going to happen at tOSU and that job would open up...by that time UM was ready to give it another go.

Surprised to see the UF fans so bitter about it, especially after all he did for the football program there.